Does thermal paste matter?

Joseph K

Do different brands of thermal paste make a difference in cooling? Is the paste included with the cooler good enough or is it worth it to buy some / steal some from a friend.

Typically the paste that comes with most coolers is more than fine, but there are many qualities of thermal paste that have multiple levels of performance. 

Just now, NutronSe7en said:

Typically the paste that comes with most coolers is more than fine, but there are many qualities of thermal paste that have multiple levels of performance. 

Let me give you my specific circumstance. I own a 5600X. I am ordering a Dark Rock Pro 4 for it. Is it worth it to get nice thermal paste or will it not make a difference?

1 minute ago, Joseph K said:

Let me give you my specific circumstance. I own a 5600X. I am ordering a Dark Rock Pro 4 for it. Is it worth it to get nice thermal paste or will it not make a difference?

that thermal paste is more than enough, while there is better upgrading isn't worth doing . 

Just now, NutronSe7en said:

that thermal paste is more than enough, while there is better upgrading isn't worth doing . 

Ok thanks.

I believe they do.. to what extent.. is up for debate I suppose.. I chase C's 😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

A little digging and I found this little comparison. Note that conductonaut is liquid metal which has limited application uses and really is just included to show the best extreme.

So when looking at worst to best non liquid there is only a 3c difference and for most it comes down to less than 2c. So unless you are chasing best possible temps for overclocking I would argue it doesn't matter and a 2c difference isn't likely to help much in any case.

image.png.a0d1c56bd4b44b1c18d9b0a788ffe870.png

Tests like this are good for ball park stuff. You might get better results then the reviewer, or you might get worse.

Its still better then a poke in the eye with a dull stick.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

I personally use the paste thats pre applied to a cooler (assuming its a decent brand of cooler) and then a year or two down the road ill reapply paste with something better.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

On 1/27/2021 at 10:02 PM, Joseph K said:

Do different brands of thermal paste make a difference in cooling? Is the paste included with the cooler good enough or is it worth it to buy some / steal some from a friend.

As long as it’s a reputable brand that most people trust, they don’t make much difference. If you see a 2 degree difference, I’d be surprised. Usually you won’t even notice the difference in the day to day fluctuations of your room temp and PC tasks.  I personally focus on pastes that have a long use life so I don’t have to ever touch it again. MX-4 and Noctua H2 both last a long time before they need to be reapplied, as in 5+ years.