GTX 670 4GB SC broken fan wire

Spartan_117

Hey Guyz,

I had purchases a GTX 670 4gb SC edition quiet some time ago. It was definitely worth the buy as I could max out most of the games @ 1080p at reasonable framerates.

But however, past couple of months it was acting somewhat weird, temperatures touching 101c when I played BF4 and Arkham Origins, So I happen to crack open the GPU to see if any dust had coughed up the fan and heat sink. When I did that the gpu fan wire actually was brittle and 3/4 wires soldiered to connecting bridge b/w the fan and the PCB broke off. Are there any chances of soldiering it back....... But still the PCB and the card is working but the fan isn't spinning hence restarting my system moste of the time.

Uploaded some pics here..... have emailed EVGA, no reply from them yet.

Regards,

Spartan 

post-67393-0-46500400-1395382011.jpg

post-67393-0-14537800-1395382013.jpg

It is very possible to do it but god damn you are going to need some serious soldering skills.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Well, you could try to connect fans to PSU.

I'd wait for EVGA to respond before you do anything.

EVGA is extremely nice about RMA stuff, they "should" help you out.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Best thing to do is wait for contact from EVGA, they're renowned for their amazing customer service so they'll give you the right steps moving foward. I've dealt with them in the past and had no issues or unhappy results. 

Yea I reside in India .... hope they have good service coverage over here too. If i wish to soldier it back together, what are the chances it would work again ???

Oh well I got a reply from EVGA team,

They said its out of warranty and I have to pay for the repairs and send to EVGA Taiwan for the same... WTF.

Simplest fix would be to find another fan header cable & splice the new header onto the old wire. This way you're only splicing wires and not trying to solder anything to the connector itself. Looks like you can get a fan header cable for about $3 on amazon if you don't have any laying around.

VKMKY6C.png

CPU - 3770k @ 4.7GHz | Motherboard - Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB @ 1600 | GPU - EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX (2x SLI) | Case - Coolermaster HAF XM | Cooling - CM EVO 212 | Storage - Corsair Force 3 90GB | WD 2TB x 2 | PSU - Thermaltake SMART 850W | Display - Asus VG248QE 144hz + GSYNC kit |  Mouse - R.A.T. 7 | Sound - Creative Titanium X-FI HD | DT990 | ATH-M50 | ATH-AD700

Yea I reside in India .... hope they have good service coverage over here too. If i wish to soldier it back together, what are the chances it would work again ???

I had a misunderstanding of where they were broken off of, you will not need to do any soldering. Do exactly what schwat has suggested.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Oh well I got a reply from EVGA team,

They said its out of warranty and I have to pay for the repairs and send to EVGA Taiwan for the same... WTF.

WTF what, you opened it, what did you expect.  

WTF what, you opened it, what did you expect.  

Its not out of warranty because he opened it. Its OOW cause he broke the wire going to the header.

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G

Bigger pics please?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

OK Guyz here is an update ... !!! I managed to soldier it and the fan are up and spinning ...... yay :)

But however, while trying to install the drivers it says " Setup cannot find any compatible nvidia hardware". Even in my device manager it shows Standard VGA adapter not GTX670.

Need your help :) 

OK here is an update ...

Finally soldiered the fan wires ... fans are up and running again.

However, I'm not able to install the drivers as it says it could not find any compatible nvidia hardware. even in the device manager it says standard VGA adapter not gtx 670.

Need you help ... :(

It was working before you fixed the fan it was just overheating right?

If so first things I'd try are re-seating the card or seating it in a different slot & double-checking the power cords. If that doesnt work next I'd start by removing the card & uninstalling the old driver completely, rebooting, then reinstalling the card & seeing if it's detected correctly. You can uninstall the driver manually or use something like Display Driver Uninstaller (with caution, read carefully). 

If after all that it's still not detected it might have got damaged somehow. My guess is software or bad connection though. Good luck man, hope this helps.

Edit: Forgot to add to double check your fan fix also & make sure something isn't accidentally shorting together. If the fan's working that's unlikely though.

CPU - 3770k @ 4.7GHz | Motherboard - Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB @ 1600 | GPU - EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX (2x SLI) | Case - Coolermaster HAF XM | Cooling - CM EVO 212 | Storage - Corsair Force 3 90GB | WD 2TB x 2 | PSU - Thermaltake SMART 850W | Display - Asus VG248QE 144hz + GSYNC kit |  Mouse - R.A.T. 7 | Sound - Creative Titanium X-FI HD | DT990 | ATH-M50 | ATH-AD700