Updating old PC

Hey forum.

I have a really old PC which was build in 2009. I'm considering to update it if it's worth it. During the year I'll be building an up to date PC, but for the time being

I'd like to upgrade some specs which would help the performance of this current old build. I mainly use it for some graphic designing, I don't game at all. Below I have attached

the specs.

Thank you.

LTT.jpg

13 minutes ago, blender breath said:

Hey forum.

I have a really old PC which was build in 2009. I'm considering to update it if it's worth it. During the year I'll be building an up to date PC, but for the time being

I'd like to upgrade some specs which would help the performance of this current old build. I mainly use it for some graphic designing, I don't game at all. Below I have attached

the specs.

Thank you.

LTT.jpg

Just add an SSD if you don't have one already and if you use GPU acceleration get the best GPU you can find. CPU upgrades will be more tricky and need to be investigated. Are your programs hard on memory ?

Hi there.

My motherboard is really old, is it possible to install SSD on such an old motherboard? I don't think there is a slot for it. I'm not a PC expert at all, that's why I'm asking.

Yes my Programs are on a HDD.  How about RAM, would I need new RAM Sticks?

a phenom X6 1055T could help with render times and such. 

1 minute ago, blender breath said:

My motherboard is really old, is it possible to install SSD on such an old motherboard? I don't think there is a slot for it. I'm not a PC expert at all, that's why I'm asking.

just get a SATA SSD and plug it into one of the SATA ports.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

HI Herman.

So I'll get a new CPU which is faster than the current one as you suggested. And once I get a SATA SSD,  I assume I have to reinstall all the software again on that SDD with the operating windows 10 again?

22 minutes ago, blender breath said:

HI Herman.

So I'll get a new CPU which is faster than the current one as you suggested. And once I get a SATA SSD,  I assume I have to reinstall all the software again on that SDD with the operating windows 10 again?

Sell your existing cpu Mobo and ram and upgrade your platform. You can sell it for around $50.

Something like a 1600af will be great for you. Add in a cheap b450 board like ASRock b450 pro4 or msi b450 pro vdh max. Add in 16gb 8*2 3000-3200 mhz ram kit. Also, add in a cheap 250gb boot SSD.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (12nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor 

Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory 

Storage: PNY CS900 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W