Can my old vga samsung display still be used with a vga to hdmi connecter?

Nad1v

Hey!,so im getting a new gaming rig and i still want my old display for discord chat and quick google searches but the the graphics card and the motherboard doesnt have a vga port so would getting a VGA to HDMI connecter solve the problem and if it does,do i connect it to the HDMI port on the motherboard or the graphics card,sorry im new to pcs

if you have a graphics card that has aditional ports not being used i would always suggest that you use them before using integrated graphics.

so yes if you have a hdmi --> vga cable then you can use it with your old monitor as a discord monitor, i do the same (except i have a normal hdmi) with one of mine.

if you're from denmark i'd recommend buying from avcables.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, flashiling said:

if you have a graphics card that has aditional ports not being used i would always suggest that you use them before using integrated graphics.

so yes if you have a hdmi --> vga cable then you can use it with your old monitor as a discord monitor, i do the same (except i have a normal hdmi) with one of mine.

if you're from denmark i'd recommend buying from avcables.

how would audio work though? 

you do not have a headset that all audio comes through?

if you just use the monitor and you need the audio then i think it's possible to buy a hdmi --> vga converter that also adds audio.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

1 minute ago, Nad1v said:

how would audio work though? 

like how would i direct the audio to my headphones 🤔

8 minutes ago, Nad1v said:

Hey!,so im getting a new gaming rig and i still want my old display for discord chat and quick google searches but the the graphics card and the motherboard doesnt have a vga port so would getting a VGA to HDMI connecter solve the problem and if it does,do i connect it to the HDMI port on the motherboard or the graphics card,sorry im new to pcs

Can you run the onboard graphics and the GPU at the same time ? If yes use any of the 2 just displaying a desktop does not task anything that much. If you wanted to go dual screen for gaming i would use the GPU but in your case any port will do.

2 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Can you run the onboard graphics and the GPU at the same time ? If yes use any of the 2 just displaying a desktop does not task anything that much. If you wanted to go dual screen for gaming i would use the GPU but in your case any port will do.

probably will just use it for streams and discord and google but audio to my headphones how?

1 minute ago, Nad1v said:

probably will just use it for streams and discord and google but audio to my headphones how?

You motherboard should have standard audio jacks .

1 minute ago, Biomecanoid said:

You motherboard should have standard audio jacks .

yeah so that would direct audio to my headphones ok? thank you