Setting laptop up for mom

woody30

Hi everyone,

so I’m setting up a Windows 10 laptop for mom so she can shop and do her nursing training online these will be the two main uses for the laptop and maybe looking up a YouTube video to see how to do something. My question is since she is older how can I make it safer for her to browse the Internet? I don’t want search suggestions that show ad beside them to appear and I don’t want her to click on bad stuff that will affect the computer or her information. I would like to make it safer and not have to be there watching to make sure she doesn’t click on something bad like an ad. Any help is appreciated thanks. 

14 minutes ago, woody30 said:

Hi everyone,

so I’m setting up a Windows 10 laptop for mom so she can shop and do her nursing training online these will be the two main uses for the laptop and maybe looking up a YouTube video to see how to do something. My question is since she is older how can I make it safer for her to browse the Internet? I don’t want search suggestions that show ad beside them to appear and I don’t want her to click on bad stuff that will affect the computer or her information. I would like to make it safer and not have to be there watching to make sure she doesn’t click on something bad like an ad. Any help is appreciated thanks. 

While something like Windows Security does a fine job most of the time, you could try installing the free version of AV software like Bitdefender or Kaspersky, they do a good enough job, even though they use up system resources. I have personally used both, and they do a good job.

Speaking of ads, you could try and use Adblockers(like Adblock Plus) and Pop up blockers, that's what I do, except for some websites which I trust. You could also set up her browser to use DuckDuckGo as the default search engine, which probably doesn't show up ads in search results, (even if ads show up, they don't track you).

I think these two measures should be enough for a seamless experience with a touch of peace of mind. And make sure to google the adblocker to go with and check if they have a clean chit or not. I hope this helps. 🙂

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

20 minutes ago, AnirbanG007 said:

While something like Windows Security does a fine job most of the time, you could try installing the free version of AV software like Bitdefender or Kaspersky, they do a good enough job, even though they use up system resources. I have personally used both, and they do a good job.

Speaking of ads, you could try and use Adblockers(like Adblock Plus) and Pop up blockers, that's what I do, except for some websites which I trust. You could also set up her browser to use DuckDuckGo as the default search engine, which probably doesn't show up ads in search results, (even if ads show up, they don't track you).

I think these two measures should be enough for a seamless experience with a touch of peace of mind. And make sure to google the adblocker to go with and check if they have a clean chit or not. I hope this helps. 🙂

Thank you I’ll try those over the weekend 

4 minutes ago, woody30 said:

Thank you I’ll try those over the weekend 

No problem, btw those adblockers and pop blockers are all chrome extensions, I forgot to mention it in the first response.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂