Can me gaming damage my laptop

Hi, i have a lenovo ideapad 5

with 4700u, 8gb ram (4gb x 2 at 3200mhz), 256gb ssd

my pc is not a gaming laptop, if i play heavy games like fortnite/just cause 4 etc. 

can it damage my laptop with the heat, and just make the fans run more even in normal workloads (browsing etc.)

thanks

8 minutes ago, Agena_ said:

my pc is not a gaming laptop, if i play heavy games like fortnite/just cause 4 etc. 

can it damage my laptop with the heat, and just make the fans run more even in normal workloads (browsing etc.)

thanks

I don't think gaming would damage your laptop, even if the cooling is insufficient, laptops have built in safety features to automatically shut down the laptop if temps exceed safe limits. Happened with me during video rendering.

Having said that, I wouldn't be comfortable in pushing my laptop to the extremes, even if it is technically 'safe'. I was having heating issues due to dried up thermal paste and dust clogging the system. After fixing those, I now play games at 1024*768 and limit my fps to 30 just so that temps don't exceed the 60 degree C mark.

However, before cleaning my laptop it used to idle at 77 deg C, and would render videos at 90 plus. It didn't damage the processor as they are capable of hitting 100 before shutting down, the motherboard and other components seems fine too, and this was the condition of my system for 2.5+ years, although I am not comfortable with so much heat. I had just stopped playing games altogether.

In conclusion, I guess you could play extensively, it won't damage your laptop if you play for too long, but I would recommend taking breaks, or limiting fps because I like my temps cool relatively speaking.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

7 minutes ago, AnirbanG007 said:

I don't think gaming would damage your laptop, even if the cooling is insufficient, laptops have built in safety features to automatically shut down the laptop if temps exceed safe limits. Happened with me during video rendering.

Having said that, I wouldn't be comfortable in pushing my laptop to the extremes, even if it is technically 'safe'. I was having heating issues due to dried up thermal paste and dust clogging the system. After fixing those, I now play games at 1024*768 and limit my fps to 30 just so that temps don't exceed the 60 degree C mark.

However, before cleaning my laptop it used to idle at 77 deg C, and would render videos at 90 plus. It didn't damage the processor as they are capable of hitting 100 before shutting down, the motherboard and other components seems fine too, and this was the condition of my system for 2.5+ years, although I am not comfortable with so much heat. I had just stopped playing games altogether.

In conclusion, I guess you could play extensively, it won't damage your laptop if you play for too long, but I would recommend taking breaks, or limiting fps because I like my temps cool relatively speaking.

my main concern is, that my fans just start spinning more and louder

and starts spinning when working normally when it shouldnt

could that happen

8 minutes ago, Agena_ said:

my main concern is, that my fans just start spinning more and louder

and starts spinning when working normally when it shouldnt

could that happen

If your laptop is clean and the condition of the thermal paste is good, fans should only ramp up when needed. I had the same issue as yours before getting my laptop cleaned and repasted. Normal browsing shouldn't make the fans go loud. I'm idling now at 35 with only this tab open.

I think it's time you took your laptop to someone to get it cleaned and have thermal paste reapplied. That should do the trick.

If however this is not the case, and your laptop is fine internally, you could check for some background processes that are eating up your system resources, and raising the temps. Or you could also install Bitdefender or Kaspersky or Malwarebytes (trial edition), check the laptop for malware, (I had a mining software running on my laptop once, Windows Defender couldn't detect it). Those could elevate temps drastically. Also just uninstall the AV after you're done with it, don't want it to hog the resources.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

33 minutes ago, Agena_ said:

thanks

Heat damages all electronics not just computers. More heat and the fans will work harder, they can suck in more dust, thermal paste dries out faster and you put more stress on the battery,

The only thing you can do to make things a bit better is game with your battery removed so it is not charging while gaming generating even more heat and get a stand with fans IF your laptop has ventilation holes on the bottom

A laptop should not be used as a desktop, every machine has its place.