Looking at upgrading PC

HeaT

Budget (including currency): £600+

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: aaa games, mostly warzone. 

Other details i7-6700k 4.6

Asus Maximus VIII Hero

16gb Corsair Vengeance

2080 Super

asus pg278q @1440p

Looking at upgrading to a 3080 but with no stock available I'm thinking of upgrading my cpu in the mean time. 

Been looking at getting a 5600x. What's people's opinions on upgrading from the 6600k? Would I notice any fps increase upgrading from the 6700k or should I just wait for the 3080 stock to be available? 

Your cpu is still very good. It shouldn't have an issue running warzone at 120fps at least (fyi warzone basically has a hard fps limit around 130fps max so no upgrade will help beyond that it's an engine limit some people can push it higher but it's with stupid low settings that basically remove things the engine has to render thus freeing up some parts).

So yeah for warzone upgrade is pointless. That and you still have one of the best cards on the market too

While it would theoretically achieve slightly higher fps, if that is the only reason you care the upgrade really isn't worth the upgrade. On the other hand, if you are considering doing something that would require more cpu usage I would recommend the upgrade as long as you have the budget for it as Ryzen 5000 is incredibly fast.

25 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Your cpu is still very good. It shouldn't have an issue running warzone at 120fps at least (fyi warzone basically has a hard fps limit around 130fps max so no upgrade will help beyond that it's an engine limit some people can push it higher but it's with stupid low settings that basically remove things the engine has to render thus freeing up some parts).

So yeah for warzone upgrade is pointless. That and you still have one of the best cards on the market too

Would a new cpu help with keeping the low fps higher? Some parts of the map on warzone my fps drops low and you notice it ingame. 

4 minutes ago, HeaT said:

Would a new cpu help with keeping the low fps higher? Some parts of the map on warzone my fps drops low and you notice it ingame. 

You shouldn't be dropping fps. I'd say install msi afterburner and enable the gpu and cpu usage overlay (cpu overlay for each core) and see what happens during a drop.

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You shouldn't be dropping fps. I'd say install msi afterburner and enable the gpu and cpu usage overlay (cpu overlay for each core) and see what happens during a drop.

Will do, will reply once I've tested it but won't be for about 5 hours or so..

On 1/26/2021 at 4:00 PM, jaslion said:

Ran msi afterburner with logging on for a match. Hope you can make sense of it. My fps would only drop to about 80fps but it would make the game seem laggy/stuttering. 

HardwareMonitoring.hml

IMG_20210128_005226.jpg

IMG_20210128_005252.jpg

The 2 above photos were in downtown on a random building roof. If I looked one way my fps would drop to mid 80s and it would feel laggy for a second, the other is facing the opposite way and it felt nice and smooth.

If you need any more information then let me know and I'll provide asap.

11 hours ago, HeaT said:

Ran msi afterburner with logging on for a match. Hope you can make sense of it. My fps would only drop to about 80fps but it would make the game seem laggy/stuttering. 

HardwareMonitoring.hml 537.96 kB · 0 downloads

IMG_20210128_005226.jpg

IMG_20210128_005252.jpg

The 2 above photos were in downtown on a random building roof. If I looked one way my fps would drop to mid 80s and it would feel laggy for a second, the other is facing the opposite way and it felt nice and smooth.

If you need any more information then let me know and I'll provide asap.

Seems it's doing totally fine and then has a spike downwards. Are you running anything in the background whilst this is going on (part from afterburner of course).

Is your system running the memory in dual channel? What are the temps and clockspeed like? Googled more and really people do not seem to be having any issues with a 6700k and this game. Are you running something on ultra?

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

Seems it's doing totally fine and then has a spike downwards. Are you running anything in the background whilst this is going on (part from afterburner of course).

Is your system running the memory in dual channel? What are the temps and clockspeed like? Googled more and really people do not seem to be having any issues with a 6700k and this game. Are you running something on ultra?

Memory should be running dual, I'll double check that. Nothing major is running in the background. Just discord most of the time. I'm running the game with everything on low or off. 

Temps and clock speeds for the cpu? I'll set a log on core temp when I can. Anything else I should be looking at? 

26 minutes ago, HeaT said:

Memory should be running dual, I'll double check that. Nothing major is running in the background. Just discord most of the time. I'm running the game with everything on low or off. 

Temps and clock speeds for the cpu? I'll set a log on core temp when I can. Anything else I should be looking at? 

Maybe look at gpu too just to rule that out.

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Maybe look at gpu too just to rule that out.

What am I looking for? 

3 minutes ago, HeaT said:

What am I looking for? 

Temps, clocks and usage. To see if there are any drops. You can also look at frametimes.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Temps, clocks and usage. To see if there are any drops. You can also look at frametimes.

Gpu clock usage and temps should be in that afterburner log I provided 

9 minutes ago, HeaT said:

Gpu clock usage and temps should be in that afterburner log I provided 

Oh sorry yeah will look at it. It didn't wanna open correctly so lacked information.

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

Oh sorry yeah will look at it. It didn't wanna open correctly so lacked information.

Memory is in dual channel.

7 hours ago, jaslion said:

Any luck? Had really bad drops tonight so ran DDU and reinstalled fresh drivers about to test now. Will log coretemp and post results.

On 1/29/2021 at 12:53 AM, HeaT said:

Any luck? Had really bad drops tonight so ran DDU and reinstalled fresh drivers about to test now. Will log coretemp and post results.

Alrighty haven't been home for a bit so couldn't look further into it.

So I gave up trying to sort this problem and upgraded my cpu/ram/mobo and warzone is running spot on now.

This can be closed