980 PRO - worth it?

Zowy1

Some people say thats better to wait for 2TB version..

but I think to buy this 1TB with one more Gen 3 drive with 2TB

This 980 worth it? maybe not so big better performance but I build premium pc so...

This drive are better for longer time and future?

For what? Gaming and general use? Literally no difference between a regular old sata mx500 drive or the best pcie 4.0 one. Maybe in the future we'll see them being used a bit more but right now totally beyond pointless. If you really want a nvme drive with a bit better performance than sata but high capacity get like a sx8200 or something

No.

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

For what? Gaming and general use? Literally no difference between a regular old sata mx500 drive or the best pcie 4.0 one. Maybe in the future we'll see them being used a bit more but right now totally beyond pointless. If you really want a nvme drive with a bit better performance than sata but high capacity get like a sx8200 or something

I mean, that's not entirely true. You can see small gains with NVME vs SATA. They're just not huge. The SX8200 is no longer a great drive to recommend.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Gaming and general use.. maybe video editing in the future

And if I copy files and install things on the drive.. the gen4 do that faster?

1 minute ago, Zowy1 said:

Gaming and general use.. maybe video editing in the future

And if I copy files and install things on the drive.. the gen4 do that faster?

Sort off. Most installers are single threaded so they run into a single core cpu limit which can already happen on old sata ssd drives. Copying is always dependent on the slowest drive. So unless you have 2 equally fast ones or the drive you are copying to and from is faster you'll never reach full speed.

If premium PCs mean not sensible in ways that makes you feel better, then PCIe 4.0 drives are worth it.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Sort off. Most installers are single threaded so they run into a single core cpu limit which can already happen on old sata ssd drives. Copying is always dependent on the slowest drive. So unless you have 2 equally fast ones or the drive you are copying to and from is faster you'll never reach full speed.

Yeah because of that I think that this drive not matter so much... so maybe it isnt worth it?

If I will buy good gen 3 drive with this.. this speeds are limited so much?

2 hours ago, Zowy1 said:

Yeah because of that I think that this drive not matter so much... so maybe it isnt worth it?

If I will buy good gen 3 drive with this.. this speeds are limited so much?

Really in the end the speed doesn't really matter as the only actual reason you'd ever need those speeds is if you:

1. Need a lot of virtual memory

2. A very very very fast scratchdisk (like for video editing massive files so projects of at least a couple hundred gigs, 3d render data,...)

Other than that it's pointless.

12 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Really in the end the speed doesn't really matter as the only actual reason you'd ever need those speeds is if you:

1. Need a lot of virtual memory

2. A very very very fast scratchdisk (like for video editing massive files so projects of at least a couple hundred gigs, 3d render data,...)

Other than that it's pointless.

So if it is expensive build.. it is not good for futureproof maybe and not copy files more faster?

maybe I will do video editing in the future..

1 minute ago, Zowy1 said:

So if it is expensive build.. it is not good for futureproof maybe and not copy files more faster?

maybe I will do video editing in the future..

File copying is always limited to the slowest drive. So it's pointless if the other drive you have is slower. Don't futureproof that is bs anyways. Just get a good drive and if stuff changes in the future upgrade. We don't know what will happen the consoles using ssds may change a lot or it may just be that people that are running a generic sata ssd will load stuff maybe a second or 2 slower than people with the fastest most expensive drive there is and basically wasted a heap of money.

It's a great drive, depends how heavy use you are and what workflow. This gen the Pro variant is cheaper than in general. So depends on you.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

31 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

It's a great drive, depends how heavy use you are and what workflow. This gen the Pro variant is cheaper than in general. So depends on you.

But it is limited to the slow drive if I copy files..

'

17 minutes ago, Zowy1 said:

But it is limited to the slow drive if I copy files..

'

Well yeah, that's a copy. If you work on the faster main drive, that's the idea for it's use.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Well yeah, that's a copy. If you work on the faster main drive, that's the idea for it's use.

You give me examples where I notice the difference versus good gen3 drive?

37 minutes ago, Zowy1 said:

You give me examples where I notice the difference versus good gen3 drive?

Any workload that can use high throughput like work with video, export, and such. Unless you copy hundreds of GBs every day and do said workflows you may not need it.

7 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Any workload that can use high throughput like work with video, export, and such. Unless you copy hundreds of GBs every day and do said workflows you may not need it.

Maybe video in the future video editing and I want that because of the 5900X

have a chance that in the future the 980 pro Will be better utilized? and I see have 100$ difference between good 1TB NVME and 980 PRO 1TB

2 minutes ago, Zowy1 said:

Maybe video in the future video editing and I want that because of the 5900X

have a chance that in the future the 980 pro Will be better utilized? and I see have 100$ difference between good 1TB NVME and 980 PRO 1TB

Yeah I guess best to buy what you will use now, can always upgrade in the future. You should check 980 Pro reviews and other competitors and decide what fits you.

1 minute ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah I guess best to buy what you will use now, can always upgrade in the future. You should check 980 Pro reviews and other competitors and decide what fits you.

Some people told it is better to wait for the 2TB version..

I dont know if its more profitable to me right now - buy this or buy 2TB gen3 drive and wait until the 980 pro was dropped or discounted more

8 minutes ago, Zowy1 said:

Some people told it is better to wait for the 2TB version..

I dont know if its more profitable to me right now - buy this or buy 2TB gen3 drive and wait until the 980 pro was dropped or discounted more

Right, that's all on your though, how much capacity/speed you need and do you need it soon. 

15 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Right, that's all on your though, how much capacity/speed you need and do you need it soon. 

When the 980 2TB released?

It's possible it's probably just out. It's on some etailer stores too for pre-order.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/980-pro-pcie-4-0-nvme-ssd-2tb-mz-v8p2t0b-am/