Some might is i SCREWED up....

Tee1995
Go to solution Solved by Tee1995,

Update. Was able to drill out the screws and get the heat sink mounted properly. Computer now boots. The shop I took it too wouldn't touch it. Frustrated, I just went and bought a Dremel used it and returned it an hour later lol. 

So I wanted to reapply the thermal paste on my nitro 5 laptop. We ended up here. As you can see I have stripped the top two screws on my heatsink. Currently will only boot if I manually put pressure on the heatsink as I cant get the proper mounting pressure without adjusting those screws. I hate myself so much. Its nothing special . Just a i5 with a 1050 16gb of ram and a m.2 SSD bootdrive, but its still my gaming laptop and I spent 800 Canadian rubles on it last year and this just really sucks...Taking it to a shop tomorrow in hopes they can drill out the screws, replace them , remount the heatsink and hope it boots. Just thought id share my stupidity. 

20210122_223739.jpg

20210122_224205.jpg

20210122_224212.jpg

7 minutes ago, Tee1995 said:

So I wanted to reapply the thermal paste on my nitro 5 laptop. We ended up here. As you can see I have stripped the top two screws on my heatsink. Currently will only boot if I manually put pressure on the heatsink as I cant get the proper mounting pressure without adjusting those screws. I hate myself so much. Its nothing special . Just a i5 with a 1050 16gb of ram and a m.2 SSD bootdrive, but its still my gaming laptop and I spent 800 Canadian rubles on it last year and this just really sucks...Taking it to a shop tomorrow in hopes they can drill out the screws, replace them , remount the heatsink and hope it boots. Just thought id share my stupidity. 

20210122_223739.jpg

20210122_224205.jpg

20210122_224212.jpg

Sad to hear. Hope you can have it fixed soon. On a side note, I do believe and I could be wrong here, that those are maxtorq heads. They kind of look like it. The ones that have a slight pitch at the end. Those would need a special bit to take apart to avoid stripping them.

I would assume the screw goes directly into the case, if not removing the motherboard and screwing in another screw from the back might work. Really depends on how the heatsink is mounted. If it's directly attached to the case, a slow drill, preferably a hand drill or a surgical one at low rpm with a HSS drill bit will do away with those scews in no time. 

Please avoid using the laptop by pushing down on the heatsink. You could potentially short out something if the pressure is not applied evenly.

GOOD LUCK

I recommend you wait for the shop.  Hopefully they will have someone that can help you but it's not something the average computer technician will be able to fix.

You can purchase "reverse drill bits", one of the brands is "EZ outs" (If you are Canadian, they have them at CanadianTire).  They are designed to be spun backwards and pull broken screws out.  Personally I never had much luck with them but if it's your last resort...  Be careful using  a drill around electronics.  It will make metal shaving as you use it, you don't want that falling into the laptop and causing shorts.  I would recommend putting masking tape around the screw to keep the shavings fro going everywhere. 

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Update. Was able to drill out the screws and get the heat sink mounted properly. Computer now boots. The shop I took it too wouldn't touch it. Frustrated, I just went and bought a Dremel used it and returned it an hour later lol.