What is the difference between an RTX 2080 max q and full size RTX 2080 in a laptop.

Ragavron

I have brought a laptop HP omen 17 inches with FULL SIZE RTX 2080 instead of max q design. so does it really give a desktop like performance in a laptop or just a gimmick by the company?

1 minute ago, Ragavron said:

I have brought a laptop HP omen 17 inches with FULL SIZE RTX 2080 instead of max q design. so does it really give a desktop like performance in a laptop or just a gimmick by the company?

Max-Q branded cards are lower TDP units. Otherwise said, you don't get the full performance. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

5 hours ago, Ragavron said:

A maxq 2080 is not as powerful as the desktop equivalent because of lower TDP and limited cooling potential. It’s probably equivalent to a desktop RTX 2060. 
Just noticed you have a desktop 2080 in a laptop? This will probably give you better performance than a maxq 2080 but you may still be limited by TDP and thermal throttling. Why don’t you run some benchmarks and compare with the many available benchmarks for the desktop 2080?

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G