Guild Wars 2

Aereldor

Just rejoined GW2 after like 5 years, can't find much to do on a free account. Anyone want to play?

What ya looking to do? The game is kinda based around following story, exploring, doing random stuff that pops up in the world and so on all mixed together. I like it because I can just chill and do the most random crap whilst still being rewarded and most importantly having fun.

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What ya looking to do? The game is kinda based around following story, exploring, doing random stuff that pops up in the world and so on all mixed together. I like it because I can just chill and do the most random crap whilst still being rewarded and most importantly having fun.

Idk it just felt quite isolating, nobody to talk to and nothing to actually do with other players - everyone seemed to just be running past the world events; I tried to do a few of them solo but kept getting killed since they were likely set up for more than 1 player. Tried asking around the main cities but only one guy talked to me and said 'pay for the game or it's impossible to have fun' haha.

I wouldn't mind some company to explore the maps, do the jumping puzzles, dungeons, some PVP maybe

6 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Idk it just felt quite isolating, nobody to talk to and nothing to actually do with other players - everyone seemed to just be running past the world events; I tried to do a few of them solo but kept getting killed since they were likely set up for more than 1 player. Tried asking around the main cities but only one guy talked to me and said 'pay for the game or it's impossible to have fun' haha.

I wouldn't mind some company to explore the maps, do the jumping puzzles, dungeons, some PVP maybe

What race did you start with? I know the norn have the roughest start as those maps are pretty empty compared to the other starting maps.The charr maps are the fullest of the starting ones even with veteran players. I've played f2p for a year and had a lot of fun with it. Not too big world events are totally doable on your own once you reach the next stepping stone in levels (10,20,30,..) depending on the maps recommended level (if it says 21-28 then if you are level 30 basically everything is possible) the big big world events will be lead by a commander as will be visible by an icon on the map and basically just follow that guy you'll get the hang of the trick of that event then. These do only happen during most active hours (so after work and before midnight).

I play on EU so I could maybe help you get your footing. I literally still run my build from 2012 that I remade on my new 2015 account. Part from some different gear (because I got lucky with some materials) I am basically running my 2012 character in 2020 content and not having any problem. Just a regular old low effort warrior :p.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What race did you start with? I know the norn have the roughest start as those maps are pretty empty compared to the other starting maps.The charr maps are the fullest of the starting ones even with veteran players. I've played f2p for a year and had a lot of fun with it. Not too big world events are totally doable on your own once you reach the next stepping stone in levels (10,20,30,..) depending on the maps recommended level (if it says 21-28 then if you are level 30 basically everything is possible) the big big world events will be lead by a commander as will be visible by an icon on the map and basically just follow that guy you'll get the hang of the trick of that event then. These do only happen during most active hours (so after work and before midnight).

I play on EU so I could maybe help you get your footing. I literally still run my build from 2012 that I remade on my new 2015 account. Part from some different gear (because I got lucky with some materials) I am basically running my 2012 character in 2020 content and not having any problem. Just a regular old low effort warrior :p.

I started off as a human elementalist because I liked the main theme for Divinity's Reach, explored every starting area and did some of the jumping puzzles, but my character's level 80. I have no idea how I got there, it's been years, and the story is on the Mouth of Zaitan boss fight. I think I set it up when I was in New York but I'm in India now so yes, I feel the time difference.

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I play on EU so I could maybe help you get your footing

This would be great, thanks! But wouldn't I have to make a new account to use a EU server? 

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I started off as a human elementalist because I liked the main theme for Divinity's Reach, explored every starting area and did some of the jumping puzzles, but my character's level 80. I have no idea how I got there, it's been years, and the story is on the Mouth of Zaitan boss fight. I think I set it up when I was in New York but I'm in India now so yes, I feel the time difference.

This would be great, thanks! But wouldn't I have to make a new account to use a EU server? 

Yeah basically means you either transfer or make a new one. Time really makes or breaks an mmo in terms of population. I don't have the problem since well it's on the profile. Starting again after a long time when you don't know what is going on anymore on a level 80 character is pretty hard. It's why I was happy I could start from 0 again and get familiar with the game again.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Yeah basically means you either transfer or make a new one. Time really makes or breaks an mmo in terms of population. I don't have the problem since well it's on the profile. Starting again after a long time when you don't know what is going on anymore on a level 80 character is pretty hard. It's why I was happy I could start from 0 again and get familiar with the game again.

Yeah I could, but I also remember not liking having to grind. I just might though - which class was it that could set up portals? Seemed the most useful for jumping puzzles

I'm on Aurora Glade btw, username is Aereldor, character is Caedmorin

27 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Yeah I could, but I also remember not liking having to grind. I just might though - which class was it that could set up portals? Seemed the most useful for jumping puzzles

Mesmer. They are a very broad class in terms of what you can do with them. One man army, buffing everything to stupid levels, timey whimy bs and whatnot :p. I'll add when I can. I think I'm also on aurora funny enough :p.

3 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Sent an ingame email not sure when you would be online or not

On 1/24/2021 at 1:26 AM, jaslion said:

Sent an ingame email not sure when you would be online or not

I met up with someone called alcohol-something but no in-game mail - was that you?

Also quick question, does GW2 have sometimes unplayably laggy servers? It worked for a few hours yesterday and I had fun, but today only 1 out of every 10 login attempts even work, average ping is in the 3000s, I've done 'victory or death' like 5 times to be yeeted at various stages

5 hours ago, Aereldor said:

I met up with someone called alcohol-something but no in-game mail - was that you?

Also quick question, does GW2 have sometimes unplayably laggy servers? It worked for a few hours yesterday and I had fun, but today only 1 out of every 10 login attempts even work, average ping is in the 3000s, I've done 'victory or death' like 5 times to be yeeted at various stages

Yeah noticed it too this morning. Only for people that go via the eu datacenter so probably a problem there for a bit seems good now.

I'm Wolfeh.9135 the numbers at the end are important to not accidentally find a person that has a character with your name and such.

When you go into the friendslist and you hover over someones name you will see their account name signified with the .xxxx behind it. This is so that people know who's who as people are otherwise display with their character name.

On 1/25/2021 at 7:52 PM, jaslion said:

Yeah noticed it too this morning. Only for people that go via the eu datacenter so probably a problem there for a bit seems good now.

I'm Wolfeh.9135 the numbers at the end are important to not accidentally find a person that has a character with your name and such.

When you go into the friendslist and you hover over someones name you will see their account name signified with the .xxxx behind it. This is so that people know who's who as people are otherwise display with their character name.

Thanks for hanging out, had some fun. Unfortunately even after reinstall and fixing it, a day later I keep getting an error 42. I think I'm gonna have to abandon it. Oh well, fun while it lasted - all of 6 hours of gameplay smh lol

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

Thanks for hanging out, had some fun. Unfortunately even after reinstall and fixing it, a day later I keep getting an error 42. I think I'm gonna have to abandon it. Oh well, fun while it lasted - all of 6 hours of gameplay smh lol

I haven't seen you in game yet :p. It wasn't me you hung out with. Go log in on the gw2 website and see if you can login if not then your account may have been flagged for suspicious activity and you just gotta send arenanet an email and it will be unlocked in a day. If you can login then it's just the servers being wonky which I've had happen too this week.

On 1/26/2021 at 11:06 PM, jaslion said:

I haven't seen you in game yet :p. It wasn't me you hung out with. Go log in on the gw2 website and see if you can login if not then your account may have been flagged for suspicious activity and you just gotta send arenanet an email and it will be unlocked in a day. If you can login then it's just the servers being wonky which I've had happen too this week.

It's a frequent issue, VPN is a decent but inconsistent solution - the instability is the biggest reason I'm not gonna buy the game

I also realize that playing elementalist was not a great idea, but since I can hang on a hard as shit class maybe Warrior or Ranger will be easy, and I have those scrolls that give me 40 levels at once maybe that's the way to go

29 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

It's a frequent issue, VPN is a decent but inconsistent solution - the instability is the biggest reason I'm not gonna buy the game

I also realize that playing elementalist was not a great idea, but since I can hang on a hard as shit class maybe Warrior or Ranger will be easy, and I have those scrolls that give me 40 levels at once maybe that's the way to go

Seems it has more to do with dns settings. Warrior is one of the easiest classes in the game. After that I'd say revenant/ranger then thief and after that guardian the rest are pretty difficult to get started with.

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Seems it has more to do with dns settings. Warrior is one of the easiest classes in the game. After that I'd say revenant/ranger then thief and after that guardian the rest are pretty difficult to get started with.

Most of what I do is open world exploration and world bosses, it was 5 years ago so hard to remember but that's why I think I picked elementalist - there's a movement speed rotation where I can actually keep up with mounts and the tactical element is fun.

I wanted to do Ranger because I like the Pokemon aspect, but I'm worried about the pet AI just attacking shit all the time. With the Warrior I'll appreciate being able to run through a map without avoiding enemies because I won't be afraid of dying. 

Does Ranger have stealth so I can run around undisturbed by enemies?

11 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Most of what I do is open world exploration and world bosses, it was 5 years ago so hard to remember but that's why I think I picked elementalist - there's a movement speed rotation where I can actually keep up with mounts and the tactical element is fun.

I wanted to do Ranger because I like the Pokemon aspect, but I'm worried about the pet AI just attacking shit all the time. With the Warrior I'll appreciate being able to run through a map without avoiding enemies because I won't be afraid of dying. 

Does Ranger have stealth so I can run around undisturbed by enemies?

Ranger has plenty of things they can set the pet as so you don't need to worry you can tell your pet to not attack, attack your target, only attack after you attack,...

Warrior also is one of if not the fastest non mount class with greatsword as they have a spec that gives them a perma 25% movement speed and many movement abilities (that are also some of their best abilities period).

Rangers can proc stealth in ways. But aren't the most mobile of classes. They can be tanky tho when played right so no reason to fear. Hot and Pof introduced some really great healing for the ranger making them very hard to kill but it does lower damage. They kinda made em more into a support class but then also gave them a attacking option. It's pretty weird and they do rely on having the right pet which does hamper the class sometimes till you get the pet you need. One of the best ones can be found in heart of thorns as it's easy to get and really good. The best one in normal Tyria is harder to get and you get it pretty late but totally doable.

Warrior is still the easiest run around class as your movement attack abilities also count as dodges and some of those abilities you can trick and just activate them and do the movement but not attack anything thus never slowing down. You do have to turn auto targeting off for that tho otherwise the ability will auto correct itself and hit an enemy instead of dodging through them. Greatsword 5 and bullrush are 2 of these that do that. That and if you get the right build from online (warrior base builds are very strong to this day for open world and pretty decent for other content) you won't die as you can have a perma heal per second and a buffed heal per second after using a burst skill according to how much adrenaline spent + faster dodge recharge.

Edit: if you like the pokemon aspect there are creatures you can collect for your home instance around the world too. It's a fun thing and nice to see them run around.

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

Ranger has plenty of things they can set the pet as so you don't need to worry you can tell your pet to not attack, attack your target, only attack after you attack,...

Warrior also is one of if not the fastest non mount class with greatsword as they have a spec that gives them a perma 25% movement speed and many movement abilities (that are also some of their best abilities period).

Rangers can proc stealth in ways. But aren't the most mobile of classes. They can be tanky tho when played right so no reason to fear. Hot and Pof introduced some really great healing for the ranger making them very hard to kill but it does lower damage. They kinda made em more into a support class but then also gave them a attacking option. It's pretty weird and they do rely on having the right pet which does hamper the class sometimes till you get the pet you need. One of the best ones can be found in heart of thorns as it's easy to get and really good. The best one in normal Tyria is harder to get and you get it pretty late but totally doable.

Warrior is still the easiest run around class as your movement attack abilities also count as dodges and some of those abilities you can trick and just activate them and do the movement but not attack anything thus never slowing down. You do have to turn auto targeting off for that tho otherwise the ability will auto correct itself and hit an enemy instead of dodging through them. Greatsword 5 and bullrush are 2 of these that do that. That and if you get the right build from online (warrior base builds are very strong to this day for open world and pretty decent for other content) you won't die as you can have a perma heal per second and a buffed heal per second after using a burst skill according to how much adrenaline spent + faster dodge recharge.

Edit: if you like the pokemon aspect there are creatures you can collect for your home instance around the world too. It's a fun thing and nice to see them run around.

Yeah, both sound good, warrior has a slight edge in F2P because they can use literally every single weapon in the game except for like magic shit, so when 90% of f2p gear is random rare finds and the occasional exotic, it makes more sense.

I'd be more into the ranger if I just had the convenience of avoiding enemy NPCs due to stealth. That's the real bitch with Elementalist - even though I have so many movement skills (staff 4 air/fire, dagger fire 3 or air 4, teleport, mist), I'll occasionally die just walking through a harder map like Orr if too many NPCs lock on to me and one gets immobilization.

At this point I think I'll do ranger for stealth and literally make another account to play warrior haha

8 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Yeah, both sound good, warrior has a slight edge in F2P because they can use literally every single weapon in the game except for like magic shit, so when 90% of f2p gear is random rare finds and the occasional exotic, it makes more sense.

I'd be more into the ranger if I just had the convenience of avoiding enemy NPCs due to stealth. That's the real bitch with Elementalist - even though I have so many movement skills (staff 4 air/fire, dagger fire 3 or air 4, teleport, mist), I'll occasionally die just walking through a harder map like Orr if too many NPCs lock on to me and one gets immobilization.

At this point I think I'll do ranger for stealth and literally make another account to play warrior haha

Yeah that is fair however even with just generic rare stuff you should be able to just get things going and bombkill with elemantalist. Maybe a small respec might help I use this site to help me out with veryifing if all works well: https://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki

If you do enjoy the game a lot you can buy heart of thorns from kinguin for under 10€. I don't like the site but it does deliver what it promises so there is that. Does open all the locked stuff too.

• 1 month later...

Dunno if you still want people to play with but im happy to help you try pvp or something as a party. Been playing consistently since launch. Finding people to play with has become more and more difficult over the years because of some of the design decisions causing isolationist gameplay, but once you get in with a group its a very social game.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD