Is 225W enough for a 220W GPU?

paz10s
Go to solution Solved by Lurick,
3 minutes ago, paz10s said:

Anyways, maybe someone could still provide an answer for my question in the title, just for people who could possibly have the same question?

That 220 watt should be max power draw under load but doesn't include any random spikes. You can go "over" spec on the cables by a bit and it won't make them burst into flames or anything but you should try to avoid running really close to the line or right on the line.

I have a semi-modular PSU and it only has two daisy chained 8-pin connectors, so that's only 150W. Add the 75W from the PCI-E slot for a total of 225W. The GPU I'm getting soon needs 220W according to its specs. Is a 5W headroom too small?

PSU: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/legacy-products/power/v650s/#image-Item2

GPU: https://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?id=3859&lang=en

If you have two separate 6+2 pin daisy chain cables then that's 300 watts (150 watts per cable)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

If you have two separate 6+2 pin daisy chain cables then that's 300 watts (150 watts per cable)

Oh right. My bad. I thought my PSU only had one single cable for the GPU. Turns out it has 2. Looked like it was only 1 since they're both sleeved together. Thanks for the info 🙂

Anyways, maybe someone could still provide an answer for my question in the title, just for people who could possibly have the same question?

3 minutes ago, paz10s said:

That 220 watt should be max power draw under load but doesn't include any random spikes. You can go "over" spec on the cables by a bit and it won't make them burst into flames or anything but you should try to avoid running really close to the line or right on the line.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

10 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Alright thanks 🙂