New first build, random freezing and black screens/rebooting, or graphical glitches if it reverts back to normal

Go to solution Solved by Javonski,

Wasn't able to bring it to a shop but after a lot of testing, I found that one of my RAM sticks was the issue.

I was able to find this by running my system with each of my two RAM sticks (and a borrowed one for good measure). I played some demanding game (Terraria lmao) and the freezing and black screens only occur when a specific stick was used. This confused me a bit since Ubuntu ran perfectly but after a few searching and reading, I guess it just handles RAM differently.

I read that you can still fix RAM by blocking certain sectors or something but they also said that it would be better to just replace the module entirely. So, I'm just going to buy new RAM.

Hello, I just built a new PC and couldn't find out why anything I do causes to break it. It can happen when I open the action center, the start menu, or even just scrolling or hovering on the start menu could cause it. Even just using Chrome, first everything but the curser would freeze, a second or two after, the curser follows, then the screen turns black. At that point, it either 1. reverts back to normal ready to freeze again, 2. reboots completely, 3. shuts down, or 4. reverts back but with major graphical glitches.

My specs are:
- Ryzen 3 3200G,
- (iGPU) Vega 8 Graphics,
- EX-A320M-Gaming Motherboard
- 2x8 GB RAM from PNY running at 2133 MHz,
- An Intelligent 700w PSU
- 1 TB WD Blue HDD

Additional info:
- I haven't done any overclocking or anything related.
- I don't think it's the PSU since it's been used for a similar system without any problems. However, I'm not ruling out the possibility.
- I've tested the RAM and it showed no problems.
- I've used DDU and tried the latest, older, or even no Radeon drivers (Adrenalin) at all. Still freezes, no change. It actually seems like the newer version makes it worse than the older one.
- I've tried to update the BIOS from the BIOS itself (network update), but it said that it's already on the latest version.
- It also freezes and crashes on safe mode.
- Every time it freezes and turns back to normal, there's a spike in GPU usage (100%) in task manager.
- Temperature is somewhere between 35-50°C.
- CPU-Z also sees my cpu as an "AMD Ryzen 3 Mobile 3200G", I don't know if that's correct.
- Playing Terraria can make these freezes happen more often (one time even BSoD'd).
- When it turns back to normal after a freeze, the radeon software completely breaks, sometimes it's just a blur window, and I think that at other times, it might be the one causing the graphical glitches I mentioned above (Edit: Yep, it is). And on the newer version, it tells me that an error occurred and if I want to send the details to AMD.
- When a sound is playing during the freeze, the sound freezes too, like buzzing.

I've tried to dual boot with Ubuntu and found that Ubuntu runs really well. Tried playing Terraria on it as well and no significant frame drops whatsoever, it felt like a different PC running at constant 60 fps. This probably means it's a Windows or driver problem and not hardware, right?

I have no idea what causes this since it happens in the most random of times, (unless when I'm playing a somewhat demanding game where it's sure to happen). Help would be greatly appreciated!

Have you tried doing a fresh install of Windows? I've had it before where Windows doesn't install correctly and causes weird issues like these, and can help rule out if you installed a program you didn't realized broke the system. Also, if you are bringing this windows install from an older system, not all of the drivers could have installed correctly and there could be other driver conflicts within Windows other than just GPU

I have tried reinstalling. This is actually the second time since I changed HDDs, thinking it was the problem. I don't know if it's the software, I will check into that. I'll try to get a new installation media and do another reinstall. Thanks for the reply!

I'm writing this on notepad and I'm just going to copy-paste this in the forum. 

I just reinstalled Windows. I installed Steam. Everything seems to be fine and dandy. But right as I installed Adrenalin Radeon Software, the freezing and black screen started happening again. I am praying that this is just because of the installation process. 

I installed and played some Genshin Impact, a pretty demanding game. No errors occurred. It ran pretty smoothly, in fact.
I tried Terraria too, no black screens. It did stutter and freeze in fractions of seconds but I think that's just the game.

The Windows update just finished installing and I'll see if any of the errors occur again.

========================================

It's been about 10 minutes, Windows finished updating. I installed Chrome and uninstalled some Office apps from Microsoft Edge and boom, two freezes and black screens just happened in quick succession. Now the AMD Bug Report Tool is on my screen (screenshot attached).image.thumb.png.ce2d64b5d1a75ca22b1fc219aa36d51f.png

Now my suspicion falls onto the Radeon Software. I also think it's conflicting with the newer Windows update or something. Or is it Chrome? What do you guys think? (6 freezes and black screens in total occurred while writing this)

Tried to restart and this screen showed up. I don't know what it means but it could be useful info.

IMG_20210123_170800.jpg

I'm really stumped right now. Here are the things I tried:

Reinstall latest Windows and Radeon software.

Reinstall old Windows and Radeon software.

Reinstall old Windows without Radeon software.

Still freezes and black screens.

Now I guess it is a problem with the hardware. However, it's weird how Ubuntu ran perfectly. 

I'm going to bring this to a shop and have them take a look at it. However, any ideas would still be welcome. Will update once I get the chance.

Wasn't able to bring it to a shop but after a lot of testing, I found that one of my RAM sticks was the issue.

I was able to find this by running my system with each of my two RAM sticks (and a borrowed one for good measure). I played some demanding game (Terraria lmao) and the freezing and black screens only occur when a specific stick was used. This confused me a bit since Ubuntu ran perfectly but after a few searching and reading, I guess it just handles RAM differently.

I read that you can still fix RAM by blocking certain sectors or something but they also said that it would be better to just replace the module entirely. So, I'm just going to buy new RAM.