• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BIOS update for Zen 3 advice needed

Budget (including currency): 4000$/pc

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming

Other details 

Hi everyone,

I'm building a brand new PC and I bought all the parts after I've done a lot of research on what to get. Basically, I went for a Zen 3 AMD CPU and the motherboard is a ASUS Crosshair X570 Hero but I understand that I would need to first update the BIOS before even installing the CPU? I tried to research this online but the nice folks at ASUS didn't specify if I can update the BIOS without a CPU installed on the motherboard. Does anyone know if I can just connect the MoBo to the PSU and a monitor to do an update on the BIOS to a Zen 3 supportable version?

Thanks!

Eddy

9 minutes ago, eddykalex said:

ASUS Crosshair X570 Hero

That specific Motherboard does support the BIOS Flashback feature, which allows you to update the BIOS without a CPU installed by having the correct BIOS files on a USB stick. More informations on how to do this correctly should be in the Motherboard manual.

Intel Core i5-8400 / ASRock Z370 Pro 4 / Hyper 212 Evo / 16GB DDR4 @3000 / MSI RTX 2070 Armor / Corsair RM550x / SanDisk 250GB / 1TB WD HDD / Fractal Design Define R4

You gotta make sure the motherboard is updated before shipping.

Or else you'll have hard time updating it yourself.

You can also go to a local PC shop to ask for help.

Ryzen 2600 @ 4ghz | Radeon RX580 | 32gb HyperX 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Corsair CX450

14 minutes ago, Medicate said:

That specific Motherboard does support the BIOS Flashback feature, which allows you to update the BIOS without a CPU installed by having the correct BIOS files on a USB stick. More informations on how to do this correctly should be in the Motherboard manual.

It doesn't? @eddykalex Just follow the steps in the manual

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII_HERO/E15379_ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII_HERO_UM_WEB.pdf

image_2021-01-22_104737.png.01bb55c6a025b019d45d7a65e4fed4f4.png

CPU Ryzen 7 5800x, Motherboard MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge Wifi, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000mhz (2x16), GPU AMD Raedon 6800 XT FE, Case Silverstone RVZ03B, Storage CORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR sf600, Cooling Noctua NH-L12S, Displays LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch, 32 inch curved that I can't find the model number for right now; UPerfect 7 inch LCD Aida64 Display, Keyboard Corsair K95, Mouse Corsair Nightblade, Sound AT2020+ USB Mic, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Schiit Magni, Modi Loki mini stack.