Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does cnet still bundle malware in stuff?

I am still flabbergasted as to why cnet is still a thing. Don't they put malware/adware/bloatware in all the downloads or did they finally quit that? What I don't understand is why is that malware site somehow viewed as like the beacon of gaming, people view cnet approval as like a badge of honor or something. Same with that softpedia and similar sites, its a bunch of nonsense that I dont understand and dont want to understand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Mling said:

what were you trying to download?

 

dont remember, havent used that site in years. Im just worried about the community and the people who don't know about the malware

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve not touched that site in many years, way too risky.

 

I always read up on a place before downloading, 

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, _princess_ said:

I am still flabbergasted as to why cnet is still a thing.

They're one of the most (if not THE most) viewed sources for tech news. They just sold for $500 million last year... as a single source news site... That kind of value for what they are is insane. There are absolute hordes of people that read them every day.

 

That's why they're still a thing.

MacBook Pro 16

i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME - many dongles

Link to post
Share on other sites

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

***

 

Mixing malware to bloatware? They did at some point forced to install some downloader with files. But I haven't heard anything about malware being injected to files there.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

They're one of the most (if not THE most) viewed sources for tech news. They just sold for $500 million last year... as a single source news site... That kind of value for what they are is insane. There are absolute hordes of people that read them every day.

 

That's why they're still a thing.

I don't get it. We are living in a world where a company that gave millions of pc's malware is used by society as one of the best sources of news. The corruption, servility, and complacency of society is beyond bewilderding.

 

9 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

I’ve not touched that site in many years, way too risky.

 

I always read up on a place before downloading, 

Based.

 

3 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

***

 

Mixing malware to bloatware? They did at some point forced to install some downloader with files. But I haven't heard anything about malware being injected to files there.

https://botcrawl.com/cnet-downloads-a-cesspool-for-privacy-invading-malware/

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, _princess_ said:

From 2012... Fact checking revealed this https://www.howtogeek.com/264592/download.com-has-finally-stopped-bundling-crapware/ and also this https://www.welivesecurity.com/2018/03/14/stealing-bitcoin-download-com/

 

Conclusion: It might not be organized anymore, but they can still host malicious software. Which is to say that same issue is with all download mirror sites. Remember CCleaner thing from couple years ago?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

From 2012... Fact checking revealed this https://www.howtogeek.com/264592/download.com-has-finally-stopped-bundling-crapware/ and also this https://www.welivesecurity.com/2018/03/14/stealing-bitcoin-download-com/

 

Conclusion: It might not be organized anymore, but they can still host malicious software. Which is to say that same issue is with all download mirror sites. Remember CCleaner thing from couple years ago?

Yes I vaguely remember. I still don't trust them even if they supposedly cleaned up their act. There is a big problem of a lack of justice. A business that gives millions of pc's malware shouldn't just get to walk away like that, certainly they shouldn't remain one of the most popular websites in the world.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, _princess_ said:

Yes I vaguely remember. I still don't trust them even if they supposedly cleaned up their act. There is a big problem of a lack of justice. A business that gives millions of pc's malware shouldn't just get to walk away like that, certainly they shouldn't remain one of the most popular websites in the world.

Well, justice is not something one could use as weapon so easily. First needs to be proof that malware is used for malicious practises. Then there needs to be proof that there wasn't fine print where user actually agreed on it being installed. And it would need to be supported by billionaire or hundreds of individuals to even be taken to courts.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Well, justice is not something one could use as weapon so easily. First needs to be proof that malware is used for malicious practises. Then there needs to be proof that there wasn't fine print where user actually agreed on it being installed. And it would need to be supported by billionaire or hundreds of individuals to even be taken to courts.

Yeah that's true. Now that they cleaned up their act it will be difficult to prove, due to societies prolonged inaction.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×