What switch type???? (First mechanical)

Frugivore8894
Go to solution Solved by Frugivore8894,

Thanks for all the help it turns out I can’t dispose someone is getting it for me so I have know clue what it’s going to be. Let’s just say I am not the best typist so I will consider browns if I do end up getting to choose. Thanks again.

My birthday is coming up and I want to finally switch to a mechanical keyboard. But the problem is I have never used one before and can’t decide what switch the to get I am mostly torn between reds and browns. I mostly type for school and play Minecraft. I currently am using a old Apple magic keyboard. And it’s not bad but I know there is better. Here is the bird I was think of getting. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079HQBYDD/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=randomfrankp-20&linkId=2d5fe0fbbe3c42e68e1a55e0571bcc38&language=en_US&th=1

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qm9Mwc

Main Project:

A desk that has a hatch that opens in the middle of it and then goes down flush with the desk. 

Other projects I am working on 

• Sleeper TI-99 4A
  • Second Keyboard

It's a personal thing, we could tell you the specs of each one but until you physically feel the difference and hear the noise level of each one, it's hard to recommend one switch over another. Are you able to buy a switch testing panel, or go to a local store like BestBuy to test switches? (I don't know if Best Buy still has display units out, very possible they stopped doing that with everything going on).

2 minutes ago, The_russian said:

It's a personal thing, we could tell you the specs of each one but until you physically feel the difference and hear the noise level of each one, it's hard to recommend one switch over another. Are you able to buy a switch testing panel, or go to a local store like BestBuy to test switches? (I don't know if Best Buy still has display units out, very possible they stopped doing that with everything going on).

COVID I would guess I can’t but if I can make it some where I will try. I have do some more research and i am leaning towards reds. But I am going to try to find some where to test.

Main Project:

A desk that has a hatch that opens in the middle of it and then goes down flush with the desk. 

• Sleeper TI-99 4A
  • Second Keyboard

2 minutes ago, Frugivore8894 said:

COVID I would guess I can’t but if I can make it some where I will try. I have do some more research and i am leaning towards reds. But I am going to try to find some where to test.

If you type kinda sloppily and fat finger a lot, I would stay away from reds as they're quite easy to mistype on 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I started with reds, but after trying blue (green for Razer), I can't go back to red switches. Blues just feel so much nicer tbh

Having used Blues, Browns, Reds, and Blacks, Browns are my favorite as the best middle ground of typing feel and gaming responsiveness.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Thanks for all the help it turns out I can’t dispose someone is getting it for me so I have know clue what it’s going to be. Let’s just say I am not the best typist so I will consider browns if I do end up getting to choose. Thanks again.

Main Project:

• Sleeper TI-99 4A
  • Second Keyboard

If you decide for brown or other tactile switches ... stay away from cherry brown as they are known to be barely tactile and to feel like a red with dust or sand in them ... I've tried a lot to like them but there's no way I'm able to, specially after I tried other tactile switches.

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD