Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC - Temps & Coil Whine

Hello to everyone, as this is my first topic here. Now, straight to the issue.

For some time now (practically all the way from launch day) I'm a "proud" owner of the "Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC" GPU. I say "proud" because the card is nothing but problems.

Not mentioning the rather high 85°C in all games, no matter if it's Cyberpunk 1440p on highest settings or, get this, something like Terraria. All the while case airflow is not restricted, it's not dusty inside, I enabled GPU fans to be always on, even added two more case fans. No change at all.

Main issue is, yesterday, without any warning, it started The Mother of all coil whines. Or, that's what I think the noise is.

Curiously, it's there ONLY when the card is under load, at least 50% of GPU usage.

I have a video for you.

In it, I open a game and the whine immediately starts. Then, I click out of the game to my second monitor, it mostly goes away. Without clicking back to the game window, I proceed to move the mouse around on the monitor where the game is opened and the whine is there only when I move cursor around. When I drag the cursor around, the whine is there constantly.

After recording I stopped all the PC fans or put them on silent mode and measured how loud the whine is. Now, I could just put headphones on, but the whine is 45dB at minimum! Even my cats start freaking out at the loud weird noise.

I tried using V-Sync in games, FreeSync/G-Sync on my monitor, even lowering the power limit of the GPU in MSI Afterburner.

Did absolutely diddly-squat for the level of the noise, except now it shows up at random intervals or places in games.

Now, I'm no tech expert and that's where my "expertise" ends. Any of you guys have any ideas for the coil whine or the temperature? Would really appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gameslite,

I have the exact same GPU as you do in my new build, RTX 3070 Vision OC from Gigabyte.

My card is also very loud, especially above 70+% fan-speeds. All rpms above 70% are Jetengine-mode.

The coilwhine you explain is something that I also have to deal with on my unit. I get the exact same symptoms in Cyberpunks menus; when I move the cursor it shreiks.

When there are loadingscreens, it shreiks etc.

This is really unfortunate but sadly it seems alot of 30-series cards have issues with coilwhine.

From what I've gathered one of the better models when it comes to coilwhine and definetly fan-noise is the Asus TUF-cards.

But since these particular models have seen high praise by most reviewers they are even harder to find than a gnome willing to share you his rainbow-gold pension! 😔

I found this post and video but I am not sure if the Vision-cards have the "spacing" in the front but rather a complete blockt. Might be worth looking into however.

But please, do this at your own risk and use caution! https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gigabyte-gpu-fan-rattle-fix.3596708/

A simpler workaround, that I use myself, is to download and run MSI Afterburner (or perhaps even Gigabytes own software). In Afterburner you can set a manual fancurve.

I did this and now my fans mostly sits around 1750rpms under load. This increased my GPU-temps by 4-6c depending on the game but the card is alot quieter.

Another negative is that it dropped 15mhz average core clock, but that is definetly a minor since it won't impact performance, atleast not noticably.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead.. just wanted to check and see if you were able to resolve your issue. I have the same card and was having similar problems ie. coil whine, super high temps causing fans to blast constantly. The solution for me ended up being an undervolt of the card. I messed around for a bit and tried 900 mV for a bit but settled on 875 with core clock of 1875. It's stable thus far and depending on your card you might be able to get more power out of it. It just takes time to mess around with. One of the biggest benefits from doing this is the coil whine is virtually gone. This is under full load. Better temps and very negligible decrease in performance. If you need any guides on how to undervolt I'd use these as references: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV0C3zDJETY&ab_channel=ImWateringPSUs

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/jn878f/small_beginners_undervolting_guide_for_rtx_3070_fe/

I'd just like to agree with the above post. I have the same 3070 and after a few months I decided to undervolt it after watching a couple of excellent YouTube guides from Optimum Tech (here's the 30 series video). Although the video title says 3080/3090 undervolting, the profile he shows you works equally well on the 3070.

My Gigabyte Vision OC card now runs much more quietly under load - coil whine is barely audible, and the fans are quieter, and it uses less power, and generates less heat, and hasn't created any noticeable performance loss in games. :) Highly recommended.