Upgrade to what?

AXXXX

Hello, 

I have a PC with RTX 3080 (recently upgraded from GTX 1070), i5-8400, B360 motherboards (since Im not a fan of overclocking), and 16 GB of RAM with 2666Mhz speeds.

By those specs, you would probably say that the CPU and the RAM are not adequate to unleash full potential of 3080. And yes I agree. There have been several gaming moments where I think that my GPU performance wasnt fully utilized due to the older version of CPU and RAM's slow latency.

Thus it comes to my question, if I am going to have my PC upgraded, which CPU and how much of RAM speeds should I go with? 

PS : I am an Intel fanboy hahahaha

Thank you in advance😀

Because you said you're a fanboy, I say you should try Ryzen. It is good and stuff. 

All kidding aside, a 9700k is a great CPU that should still be compatible with your motherboard with a BIOS update. You can find them for about $200 on craigslist, and for that they are unbeatable for just gaming CPUs. It's to the point that I've recommended them for budget builds (friend did an $800 build that has one of these in it). As for RAM, 3200MHz should be fine. Faster is better, but that's about the lowest I'd recommend. If you find faster for within $10, sure, go with that, but otherwise that's probably fine. 

46 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Because you said you're a fanboy, I say you should try Ryzen. It is good and stuff. 

All kidding aside, a 9700k is a great CPU that should still be compatible with your motherboard with a BIOS update. You can find them for about $200 on craigslist, and for that they are unbeatable for just gaming CPUs. It's to the point that I've recommended them for budget builds (friend did an $800 build that has one of these in it). As for RAM, 3200MHz should be fine. Faster is better, but that's about the lowest I'd recommend. If you find faster for within $10, sure, go with that, but otherwise that's probably fine. 

200$ for 8c/8t cpu, not the best really. but for @AXXXXit is the cheapest upgrade. Would get something better really.

for reference used 3700x is usually just little more expensive than 9700k and is better.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

8 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

200$ for 8c/8t cpu, not the best really. but for @AXXXXit is the cheapest upgrade. Would get something better really.

for reference used 3700x is usually just little more expensive than 9700k and is better.

The 9700k does have better single threaded, and for a pure gaming CPU, it is better than a 3700x. For productivity, sure, it's worse, but he never said anything about needing to have a productivity chip. I still say it will be fine. Remember, the price competitor is a 3600, which most people say is about as low end as you can go for a 3080, and a 9700k will outperform it in basically every metric. If you are concerned about hyperthreading, sure, get a 9900k, but it's waisted money for anyone who isn't an avid content creator.

Edit: Probably should point out that I am a Ryzen user, and the 9700k is the only Intel CPU I've recommended to anyone in the past 3 years for a good bang for the buck system

9600k should be a great upgrade.

Don't bother with the ram speed, it won't drastically improve anything on intel.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

30 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The 9700k does have better single threaded, and for a pure gaming CPU, it is better than a 3700x. For productivity, sure, it's worse, but he never said anything about needing to have a productivity chip. I still say it will be fine. Remember, the price competitor is a 3600, which most people say is about as low end as you can go for a 3080, and a 9700k will outperform it in basically every metric. If you are concerned about hyperthreading, sure, get a 9900k, but it's waisted money for anyone who isn't an avid content creator.

Edit: Probably should point out that I am a Ryzen user, and the 9700k is the only Intel CPU I've recommended to anyone in the past 3 years for a good bang for the buck system

What about Intel 10th, 11th, or even 12th Gen? Are they out of the considerations in terms of best-pairing bud with the next gen GPU? Or do you think that their performances would only be slightly better than what you just reccomended?

31 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

9600k should be a great upgrade.

Don't bother with the ram speed, it won't drastically improve anything on intel.

Jeez, I almost forgot. Yeah, I ve read somewhere that its AMD that needs higher RAM speeds. Therefore, 3200/3600Mhz would be enough I guess. Cheers pal 👍

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Well at first I did consider to upgrade it to intel 10th or maybe 11th Gen, but it seems that the 9th Gen is considered enough to pair with 3080. 

For 3200Mhz RAM, I think I will still be needing a new motherboard because my current one is only able to hold 2666Mhz max.

Thanks for the good advice, but aside from that, I ll just stick to Intel 😂😂.

If you are from europe I could sell to you my delided i7 8700k (with professionally polished cooper lid and conductonaut instead of the cheap toothpaste intel TIM + conformal coating on the PCB to be 100% sure that even if it would have had dripped off a little nothing will happen)  it reaches easily 5GHz all 12 threads with low temps(depending on your cooler and mobo ofcourse). 

1 hour ago, AXXXX said:

What about Intel 10th, 11th, or even 12th Gen?

Honestly if you want to consider those options as well 12th Gen is your best bet as 12th gen (i.e. Alder Lake) is rumoured to be DDR5, although I'm sure that because of the faster RAM it'll also be pretty expensive for a while... 10th and 11th are a bit too incremental imo (i.e. 11th = ~+10% at best stock)

2 hours ago, AXXXX said:

What about Intel 10th, 11th, or even 12th Gen? Are they out of the considerations in terms of best-pairing bud with the next gen GPU? Or do you think that their performances would only be slightly better than what you just reccomended?

11th gen will beat Ryzen 5000, then Ryzen 6000 will beat 11th gen, on and on.

THe problem is we don't know what 12th gen will look like, alder lake is going to be 8 core, 4 fast core with 4 slow core, reason to make this, they want to beat apple M1 efficiency. If they bring this to the desktop, AMD gonna chew them up like a gummy bear.

So this is the AMD advantage, even if you're stuck with the current gen (5000), you still have the option to go higher core count in the future when you need one. Not so with Intel 10th gent (10 core max) or 11th gen (8 core max).

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w