This Isn't Right Surely?

MPX309

So a pretty well known Youtuber has made a status asking for helps for his channel . . . because, well it's not doing so good now, and he needs money to support his family?
Surely the idea of making a Youtube channel is that you have a job, and do youtube in your spare time, as a passion . . . Any money you make off it is considered a bonus isn't it?
Plus I'm pretty sure it would say in his contract not to tell anyone the amount he'd make from the channel.

db6144cab2632afa1f9e31571f90aa08.png

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

i don't even understand how anyone can watch more than one let's play to see a game.

He should just go and find a job like every other person on this planet und make youtube stuff for fun!

no, many popular youtubers use youtube for there main income, i know MinnesotaBurns did this, he explains in his draw my life which is pretty funny  XD 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I don't think that it's wrong, but if he's trying to support a family on that income, uhhh, good luck. He needs to take on Youtube as a side thing, and not the career.

If you're not that big of a Youtuber like let's say Mr. pwnstar himself, you should get a real job as a backup :) I was about to say Linus but he started with a job then started his channel haha

did linus quite ncix? he said something about not working there or something on a livestream but i only heard half of it

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

did linus quite ncix? he said something about not working there or something on a livestream but i only heard half of it

Yea he quit his job a few months ago to start LinusMediaGroup :) He still makes content for NCIX on their NCIXcom channel though.

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

So a pretty well known Youtuber has made a status asking for helps for his channel . . . because, well it's not doing so good now, and he needs money to support his family?

Surely the idea of making a Youtube channel is that you have a job, and do youtube in your spare time, as a passion . . . Any money you make off it is considered a bonus isn't it?

Plus I'm pretty sure it would say in his contract not to tell anyone the amount he'd make from the channel.

db6144cab2632afa1f9e31571f90aa08.png

You can get paid based on the popularity of your channel

i don't even understand how anyone can watch more than one let's play to see a game.

He should just go and find a job like every other person on this planet und make youtube stuff for fun!

It is a job

He should just get a "real job" honestly...

How would you define a "real job"? He's doing what he does best, entertaining people. Are you saying that comedians and actors need "real jobs" too?

but i don't think Linus Media Group could survive just of Youtube they need thier sponsors

It is a job.

Yeah....but if you have to work 80h/week, and never know how much you will earn i wouln't call it a job. It's more like work that get's payed or not...like an artist, or Model.

It's not a job its a lifechoice and if you have to support a family its a poor one. Do you think Linus would have quit his job if he wouln't be one of the top tech guys who can get extra income via sponsorship?

but i don't think Linus Media Group could survive just of Youtube they need thier sponsors

I think if worse comes to worse and LinusMediaGroup has to shut down, NCIX would be more then happy to take Linus back. Slick would just work under him the way he did when Linus was back with NCIX

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

I think if worse comes to worse and LinusMediaGroup has to shut down(touch wood), NCIX would be more then happy to take Linus back. Slick would just work under him the way he did when Linus was back with NCIX

Could one of the mods kindly delete this post please :) It was an accidental double post haha

I'm sorry but having a Youtube channel that doesn't have 500, 000 subs then bitching about how you get no money. Seriously, just get a normal job and stop complaining. No one subscribes to complainers.

LinusTechTips Livestream ModTeam

BUILD - i7-3770K @4.7GHz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Dominator Platinum - CM Storm Trooper w/ side window - Asus Matrix HD7970 Platinum - Corsair HX1050 - CM Storm Quick Fire TK BLUE - Razer Ourobours - Custom Loop

You can get paid based on the popularity of your channel.

It is a job.

How would you define a "real job"? He's doing what he does best, entertaining people. Are you saying that comedians and actors need "real jobs" too?

If he can't support himself then he should get a different job. WTF you getting mad about that? Nothing wrong with having youtube as your main income but if he's only making 1500 a month than maybe it's not for him.

Like others have said; if your channel generates enough income for you/ you and your family and is sustainable (can anyone even be certain of the latter half?), then go for it. If not, it's best to get a job like most others have and leave YT as a little extra money on the side.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Yeah....but if you have to work 80h/week, and never know how much you will earn i wouln't call it a job. It's more like work that get's payed or not...like an artist, or Model.

It's not a job its a lifechoice and if you have to support a family its a poor one. Do you think Linus would have quit his job if he wouln't be one of the top tech guys who can get extra income via sponsorship?

80 hours a week? Not all of them. And even if it was, all of the ones I know REALLY enjoy their jobs. Look at PewDiePie, MinnesotaBurns, etc. They've been doing it for years, and haven't had any issues regarding unsustainability

If he can't support himself then he should get a different job. WTF you getting mad about that? Nothing wrong with having youtube as your main income but if he's only making 1500 a month than maybe it's not for him.

I'm not mad at all. In fact I'm amused by how ignorant many of you are for telling them to get a "real job". Sure, this guy in particular should probably consider another fallback job, but if you're making enough and you enjoy it, you should continue

And no, you can be sure they're making more than $1500 a month

I think if worse comes to worse and LinusMediaGroup has to shut down, NCIX would be more then happy to take Linus back. Slick would just work under him the way he did when Linus was back with NCIX

If it gets really bad, I don't think either of them would have any problems with getting good jobs at this point :)