What tubes do I buy for a tube amp

GOJIRA229

I am looking to get a LOXJIE P20 and I want to know what tubes I should get on Amazon I saw a couple Soviet tubes are they good 

22 minutes ago, GOJIRA229 said:

I am looking to get a LOXJIE P20 and I want to know what tubes I should get on Amazon I saw a couple Soviet tubes are they good 

I think the P20 is an excellent little amplifier, and the stock tubes aren't hugely awful. (it comes with 2 copy-cat chinese tubes)

Just make sure the tubes are compatible, and you should be good. The old-ish soviet ones are typically pretty decent.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

Just now, Derkoli said:

I think the P20 is an excellent little amplifier, and the stock tubes aren't hugely awful.

Just make sure the tubes are compatible, and you should be good. The old-ish soviet ones are typically pretty decent.

Thanks but do the tubes change the sound if they do I would like some that make it sound like a normal amp and some that make it have the tube sound for that I think I would get some of the Soviet tubes does the other kind exist

1 minute ago, GOJIRA229 said:

Thanks but do the tubes change the sound if they do I would like some that make it sound like a normal amp and some that make it have the tube sound for that I think I would get some of the Soviet tubes does the other kind exist

The tubes will change the sound.

You can also use this chart to see what other types of tubes work with your amplifier:

http://www.worldtubecompany.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=TSL-CHINA

So, as the amp comes with 6N3, these will work:

image.thumb.png.b567b0e7a152726e7a01256472263bbc.png

I would take a look at the GE Jan 5670 if you want more mids/treble.

If you want some more "gooey" tube sound, you could try and find some Western Electric 396A's.

The GE Jan's are about £20 a pair, while the Western Electrics are £110~ a pair.

Careful, tube rolling can be a proper rabbit hole. I've swapped thousands of pounds worth in and out of my McIntosh amplifiers. It's tricky finding what you like.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

The tubes will change the sound.

You can also use this chart to see what other types of tubes work with your amplifier:

http://www.worldtubecompany.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=TSL-CHINA

So, as the amp comes with 6N3, these will work:

image.thumb.png.b567b0e7a152726e7a01256472263bbc.png

I would take a look at the GE Jan 5670 if you want more mids/treble.

If you want some more "gooey" tube sound, you could try and find some Western Electric 396A's.

The GE Jan's are about £20 a pair, while the Western Electrics are £110~ a pair.

Careful, tube rolling can be a proper rabbit hole. I've swapped thousands of pounds worth in and out of my McIntosh amplifiers. It's tricky finding what you like.

What do you mean you need specific tubes don’t they all use a 7 pin layout 

9 minutes ago, GOJIRA229 said:

What do you mean you need specific tubes don’t they all use a 7 pin layout 

Not all tubes are the same. You have different types, Different sockets, Different heater voltages etc.

Quite often the main difference is that each pin does something different on a different tube. What the heater plate pin is on one tube, might be the input on another.

Aslong as the tubes you buy are a matched pair of one type in the image above, they'll work fine. Don't try to use a tube that isn't supported by the amplifier, as you'll either kill the tube, the amp, or both.

Let's put it this way, a GM100 tube is a bit big to fit in your amp.

NAT - Innovative Audio Manufacture - Magma New

The small tube in the front is slightly larger than your amplifier's stock tubes.

Not all tubes are the same. You have different types, Different sockets, Different heater voltages etc.

Quite often the main difference is that each pin does something different on a different tube. What the heater plate pin is on one tube, might be the input on another.

Aslong as the tubes you buy are a matched pair of one type in the image above, they'll work fine. Don't try to use a tube that isn't supported by the amplifier, as you'll either kill the tube, the amp, or both.

Would these work https://www.amazon.com/6J1P-EV-Matched-Tested-Upgrade-Military/dp/B083HJQNHT/ref=mp_s_a_1_31?dchild=1&keywords=vacuum+tube&qid=1611010506&sr=8-31

12 minutes ago, GOJIRA229 said:

No, these aren't equivalents.

I was able to find these 1968 Soviet tubes:

https://www.amazon.com/6N3P-double-triode-tubes-Equivalent/dp/B00EG3Z1C4/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=6cc42&qid=1611015073&sr=8-2

They seem to be good quality, they have good reviews and would work very well in your amplifier.

No, these aren't equivalents.

I was able to find these 1968 Soviet tubes:

https://www.amazon.com/6N3P-double-triode-tubes-Equivalent/dp/B00EG3Z1C4/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=6cc42&qid=1611015073&sr=8-2

They seem to be good quality, they have good reviews and would work very well in your amplifier.

Thanks do you know which company makes cheap tubes that make it sound like a normal amp that is not tubes so it is like a normal balanced amp so I can switch

5 minutes ago, GOJIRA229 said:

Thanks do you know which company makes cheap tubes that make it sound like a normal amp that is not tubes so it is like a normal balanced amp so I can switch

The balanced output with the stock tubes sounds very much like a normal, solid state amplifier.

Remember, the P20 is a hybrid amplifier, so the tube's don't make as much of a difference as they would in a fully tube based design.

6 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

The balanced output with the stock tubes sounds very much like a normal, solid state amplifier.

Remember, the P20 is a hybrid amplifier, so the tube's don't make as much of a difference as they would in a fully tube based design.

Are their any that make them sound more solid state

1 hour ago, GOJIRA229 said:

Are their any that make them sound more solid state

Wouldn't you be better off with a solid state amp then?

2 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Wouldn't you be better off with a solid state amp then?

This is the cheapest balanced amp by about 100$

6 minutes ago, GOJIRA229 said:

This is the cheapest balanced amp by about 100$

With the little experience I have, I'd say balanced is not going to make much of a difference on headphone setups, if any. There are cases (Schiit for instance) where the manufacturer sort of gimps out the SE connection of an amp or DAC in favour of the balanced one. There are a lot of good stuff out there that is single ended only, and will go circles around the Loxjie (Chord, Felix Audio, Aurium, among others). 

Edited by HumdrumPenguin

Just now, HumdrumPenguin said:

With the little experience I have, I'd say balanced is not going to make much of a difference on headphone setups, if any. There are cases (Schiit for instance) where the manufacturer sort of gimps out the SE connection of an amp or DAC in favour of the balanced one. There are a lot of good stuff out there that will go circles around the Loxjie, with the likes of Chord, Felix Audio or Aurium. 

I already have a schiit Asgard I just wanna try balanced and it sound like a tube and like a solid state if I don’t like the tube sound

Just now, GOJIRA229 said:

I already have a schiit Asgard I just wanna try balanced and it sound like a tube and like a solid state if I don’t like the tube sound

Is your path fully balanced? The bigger difference would probably come between your dac and amp, not amp and headphone. But yes, I understand your desire to try something just for the sake of doing it.

Just now, HumdrumPenguin said:

Is your path fully balanced? The bigger difference would probably come between your dac and amp, not amp and headphone. But yes, I understand your desire to try something just for the sake of doing it.

I have a hd 579 and fideleo x2hr because I like the option and I am doing this for the same reason and this is the cheapest way I found and if I do it right I can get more options out of it and my modius has xlr out so I won’t miss out on any of the balanced sound

On 1/18/2021 at 6:24 PM, Derkoli said:

Would this be a good sort of starter pack for tube amps https://www.ebay.com/itm/Loxjie-P20-Balanced-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-PS-Upgrade-6N3P-DR-tubes/143921135573

3 hours ago, GOJIRA229 said:

I would not runt he p20 unless you plan to run it balanced. the SE out on it doesn't really sound that great IMO. but looking at your headphones unless you do some heavy modding you can't run those guys balanced

7 hours ago, rice guru said:

I would not runt he p20 unless you plan to run it balanced. the SE out on it doesn't really sound that great IMO. but looking at your headphones unless you do some heavy modding you can't run those guys balanced

From what I can tell the hd 579 is balanced and I will be going fully balanced 

4 hours ago, GOJIRA229 said:

From what I can tell the hd 579 is balanced and I will be going fully balanced 

Oh damn legit? I always assumed it was not cause it come out of one cup. 

5 hours ago, rice guru said:

Oh damn legit? I always assumed it was not cause it come out of one cup. 

No the whole 5x9 5x8 and the 5x0 lines are completely balanced 

1 hour ago, GOJIRA229 said:

I've seen that but I didn't know if it legit worked properly. Or if the cable was just forcing balanced through the one input on the headphone which isn't really reccomended.

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

I've seen that but I didn't know if it legit worked properly. Or if the cable was just forcing balanced through the one input on the headphone which isn't really reccomended.

I've got the same cable, just with an XLR4 connector on the one end. It's a proper 4 pole to 4 pole cable and I quite like it 🙂

Work's perfectly fine with my HD598CS'