First build in a couple of months

Dante1

Budget (including currency): 2000€ max, but I'd rather go down to 1500€ instead.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Video Editing (After Effect, Premiere - I'm not a professional, I do it as a hobby), Cyberpunk and incoming next gen games, Streaming

Other details

I think I'm going to build it around march or april, depending on when the prices for new ryzen and nvidia cards are going to normalize. I'm coming back to Windows after 10 years of Macs for many reasons I don't need to discuss. The point is, I'm in for a QUIET experience. but I don't really wanna deal with water cooling. My main doubt is about how to achieve such a QUIET pc: is it better to go overkill with the cooling in order to keep the RPM really low, or is it better to straight up install less fans?

Right now the parts I'm thinking about are:

CPU: Ryzen 5600x

no-brainer here, it seems the best sweetspot between price and performance. I wanted to go 5800x but the price-bump is not justified IMHO, and by the time I look at the 5900x I feel like I'm way overbudget already.

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Black Edition

I'd especially like to have some opinion on this one. I don't care about overclocking, I might do it down the line but I value reliability over everything else. The only reason why I would blow 100€ on this is that I hope it's going to be much quieter compared to the stock cooler. Is that correct?

GPU: Nvidia 3070 - whatever edition I can find for a reasonable price, I would prefer three fans config like the Strix one

I could get away with a 3060Ti, but this is really just about me wanting the better toy, especially for a >1500€ budget

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow

it seems like it's a good compromise between airflow, look and performances. I care about the look of the case, not much about the RBG inside it. Tidiness >> RGB.

RAM: 16GB 3600MHz kit

I'm planning to buy the cheapest kit I can find from a reputable brand when I actually go and buy components.

PSU: 850W

same as RAM, planning to buy the cheapest psu I can find from a reputable brand when I actually go and buy components. Is 850W overkill?

MOBO: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK

I'd especially like to have some opinion on the mobo too. The fact is, this would be the second PC I build. The first one was for a friend of mine, and he bought a really cheap MOBO. It only had two fan-headers, including the CPU one, and ended up connecting the other fans to the PSU directly via molex, which means they go crazy inside there. I want to avoid that and buy a mobo with sufficient fan headers, at least four, plus enough headers for the I/O of the case and support for PCI Gen 4. I don't care about Wi-Fi, but since I'm planning to move out of home in the next two or three years, it might come in handy if my ethernet cable won't be routed during that transition time. Then again, maybe I'm just bleeding money because I can't compromise enough. I really don't know, there are more mobos than stars in the sky.

Storage: Corsair MP600 500GB + Crucial MX500 1TB
The NVMe PCI Gen 4 is of course for application, os, assets that I'm currently using for video editing and similar, while the crucial is just for additional archive. However, I'm considering the idea of not buying the second SSD as I already use an external HDD for storing documents. It all comes down to how many games I will actually install on the machine at the same time, and I honestly don't know because I was never a PC gamer. I might actually get away with a 1TB NVMe. I don't know. I don't even know if the MP600 is worth it compared to a 970 Evo. What do you guys think?

Roast me (/s)

17 minutes ago, Dante1 said:

Budget (including currency): 2000€ max, but I'd rather go down to 1500€ instead.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Video Editing (After Effect, Premiere - I'm not a professional, I do it as a hobby), Cyberpunk and incoming next gen games, Streaming

Other details

I think I'm going to build it around march or april, depending on when the prices for new ryzen and nvidia cards are going to normalize. I'm coming back to Windows after 10 years of Macs for many reasons I don't need to discuss. The point is, I'm in for a QUIET experience. but I don't really wanna deal with water cooling. My main doubt is about how to achieve such a QUIET pc: is it better to go overkill with the cooling in order to keep the RPM really low, or is it better to straight up install less fans?

Right now the parts I'm thinking about are:

CPU: Ryzen 5600x

no-brainer here, it seems the best sweetspot between price and performance. I wanted to go 5800x but the price-bump is not justified IMHO, and by the time I look at the 5900x I feel like I'm way overbudget already.

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Black Edition

I'd especially like to have some opinion on this one. I don't care about overclocking, I might do it down the line but I value reliability over everything else. The only reason why I would blow 100€ on this is that I hope it's going to be much quieter compared to the stock cooler. Is that correct?

GPU: Nvidia 3070 - whatever edition I can find for a reasonable price, I would prefer three fans config like the Strix one

I could get away with a 3060Ti, but this is really just about me wanting the better toy, especially for a >1500€ budget

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow

it seems like it's a good compromise between airflow, look and performances. I care about the look of the case, not much about the RBG inside it. Tidiness >> RGB.

RAM: 16GB 3600MHz kit

I'm planning to buy the cheapest kit I can find from a reputable brand when I actually go and buy components.

PSU: 850W

same as RAM, planning to buy the cheapest psu I can find from a reputable brand when I actually go and buy components. Is 850W overkill?

MOBO: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK

I'd especially like to have some opinion on the mobo too. The fact is, this would be the second PC I build. The first one was for a friend of mine, and he bought a really cheap MOBO. It only had two fan-headers, including the CPU one, and ended up connecting the other fans to the PSU directly via molex, which means they go crazy inside there. I want to avoid that and buy a mobo with sufficient fan headers, at least four, plus enough headers for the I/O of the case and support for PCI Gen 4. I don't care about Wi-Fi, but since I'm planning to move out of home in the next two or three years, it might come in handy if my ethernet cable won't be routed during that transition time. Then again, maybe I'm just bleeding money because I can't compromise enough. I really don't know, there are more mobos than stars in the sky.

Storage: Corsair MP600 500GB + Crucial MX500 1TB
The NVMe PCI Gen 4 is of course for application, os, assets that I'm currently using for video editing and similar, while the crucial is just for additional archive. However, I'm considering the idea of not buying the second SSD as I already use an external HDD for storing documents. It all comes down to how many games I will actually install on the machine at the same time, and I honestly don't know because I was never a PC gamer. I might actually get away with a 1TB NVMe. I don't know. I don't even know if the MP600 is worth it compared to a 970 Evo. What do you guys think?

Roast me (/s)

i think that this is a good build. i would recommend going to 32gb of ram as video and photo editing take up a lot. i would also recommend getting lpx fro ram as really good quality for a fair price.