Extremely low FPS during games with a 3080

SaturnVII
Go to solution Solved by Tan3l6,
1 minute ago, SaturnVII said:

Yeah I tried the 3080 in my old system and it works perfectly, so I don't think that's the issue here, probably the motherboard or CPU.

How about in the second PCI-e 16x slot?

Specs:

MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING

CPU: RYZEN 5 5600X

GPU: EVGA 3080 FTW3 ULTRA

RAM: G.SKILL 2X8 GB 3200MHZ CL16

SSD: Sabrent NVMe 1TB

PSU: CORSAIR RM750

So I recently got a 3080 paired with a 5600X on a B550 board, and as you can see in the images, the framerates are extremely low in both games i tested. Things I did are:

-Connect three individual cables to the graphics card.

-Ensure the memory is running in dual-channel at 3200Mhz.

-The system is not overheating.

-The bios is updated to the last non-beta version (also used the latest beta version, with the same results).

-GPU drivers are up to date (version 461.09).

I hope someone can help me, because this is getting really frustrating. Thank you.

Captura8.PNG

Captura9.png

There are some quirks and bugs with the 461.09 driver with Nvidia. I would try the driver before it and see if it continues or not. Also, Horizon Zero Sawn is not very well optimized for PC so there are lots of issues with FPS in the game in general. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Have you tried removing drivers with DDU and reinstalling them?

I edit my posts more often than not

24 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

There are some quirks and bugs with the 461.09 driver with Nvidia. I would try the driver before it and see if it continues or not. Also, Horizon Zero Sawn is not very well optimized for PC so there are lots of issues with FPS in the game in general. 

I'm installing the 460.89 to see what happens. Also since I first powered on the system, thing like the bios sometimes works really laggy, as if the frames rendered from up to down visibly, that might me a clue, but I don't know anymore...

2 minutes ago, SaturnVII said:

I'm installing the 460.89 to see what happens. Also since I first powered on the system, thing like the bios sometimes works really laggy, as if the frames rendered from up to down visibly, that might me a clue, but I don't know anymore...

Are you running the GPU on a Riser cable?

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I'd still recommend DDU - very often it helps, not gonna go reccommending it a third thime though.

6 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Are you running the GPU on a Riser cable?

I'm using drivers 460.89 and exact same performance...

No, I'm not using a riser cable.

6 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

I'd still recommend DDU - very often it helps, not gonna go reccommending it a third thime though.

Already did that a number of times, performance doesn't change.

7 minutes ago, SaturnVII said:

I'm using drivers 460.89 and exact same performance...

No, I'm not using a riser cable.

Try manually setting your PCIE speeds in BIOS from Auto to Gen 4. Could also try Gen 3 if Gen 4 doesn't produce any difference just to rule out signal integrity. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

No option to test the GPU in another machine?

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

Try manually setting your PCIE speeds in BIOS from Auto to Gen 4. Could also try Gen 3 if Gen 4 doesn't produce any difference just to rule out signal integrity. 

Yup, set the PCIe from Auto to 4.0 already. If I set it to 3.0, the drivers are unrecongized and if i reinstall them the screen starts to turn on and off constantly.

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

No option to test the GPU in another machine?

Yeah I tried the 3080 in my old system and it works perfectly, so I don't think that's the issue here, probably the motherboard or CPU.

2 minutes ago, SaturnVII said:

Yup, set the PCIe from Auto to 4.0 already. If I set it to 3.0, the drivers are unrecongized and if i reinstall them the screen starts to turn on and off constantly.

did you try a different cable or standard, IE HDMI or Display port instead?

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

19 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Holy shit, it actually worked...

Why is this happening though, is the motherboard faulty?

Captura11.png

Captura10.PNG

5 minutes ago, SaturnVII said:

I already did that yesterday, but I can do it again. of the six options that it gives me to download, do i select the six, or just the AMD PCI Device Driver?

I think just - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/DRV_Chipset_AMD_AM4_TP_W10_64_V20928509_20201027R.zip

If there are some options to update, select all. I can't test as I have Intel platform.

If it doesn't help, I'd suspect MoBo faulty. Though can't be 100% sure.

I mean of all this, only the PCI option, or all other options too?

Captura12.PNG

I'd update all.

33 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

I'd update all.

I updated the chipset drivers and seated it again on the first slot, still crappy performance. Motherboard problem?

9 minutes ago, SaturnVII said:

I updated the chipset drivers and seated it again on the first slot, still crappy performance. Motherboard problem?

Most likely a bad motherboard.

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

Most likely a bad motherboard.

Does it have something to do with the nvme ssd that i installed in the top slot?

Does it have something to do with the nvme ssd that i installed in the top slot?

Not likely. But if you would test it could not do harm.

15 minutes ago, SaturnVII said:

Shouldn't since there are 20 lanes dedicated for GPU and nvme storage direct from the CPU. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig