WiFi on Windows 2000?

WhitetailAni

I have a spare PCI WiFi card (TP-LINK TL-WN951N V3) and don't know what to do with it.

Putting it in my Phenom tower/Minecraft server screws it up.

I can't put it in my AM4 tower because it doesn't have PCI slots.

The three things left that have open PCI slots are:

1. Power Mac G4 (broken for awhile)

2. Socket 3/486 motherboard with PCI

3. My Pentium III 500 MHz build

1. It doesn't support the G4 afaik.

2. I have no plans to use this board ever.

3. I don't think Windows 2000 supports WiFi.

Does anyone know if Windows 2000 does, and if so, do you know if I could find drivers for this?
The TP-LINK website only goes back as far as XP, but the chip itself might have drivers for 2000.
Just thought I'd ask.

elephants

If the manufacturer of the WiFi card doesn't support the OS, there's likely nothing you can do about it (I could be wrong though). If you really want to get WiFi working on the device, you could try upgrading it to Windows XP. Judging by the specs of the system it should be more than capable (my XP system has a Celeron with ~400 mhz ram). But with a system that old you're likely using it because you like Windows 2000 so XP may not be the best solution for you.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

1 minute ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

If the manufacturer of the WiFi card doesn't support the OS, there's likely nothing you can do about it (I could be wrong though). If you really want to get WiFi working on the device, you could try upgrading it to Windows XP. Judging by the specs of the system it should be more than capable (my XP system has a Celeron with ~400 mhz ram). But with a system that old you're likely using it because you like Windows 2000 so XP may not be the solution for you.

I'm putting 2000 on it because I've never used it and I have an XP machine.

elephants

Yeah most things are only compatible with Windows XP and on, any older than that, and you need to get parts from that era.

10 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I'm putting 2000 on it because I've never used it and I have an XP machine.

Well you're asking for it. It's hard to install anything on 98 (now), let alone 2000 which NT based which had a lower driver pool.

PCI is dead, get over it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

PCI is dead, get over it.

I can't, really.

I have more PCI slots (filled or not filled) than PCIe slots.
10 PCIe vs 15 PCI (3 are PCI-X, but PCI-X works with PCI and usually vice versa)

elephants

Install old linux, usually the driver is less demanding.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Install old linux, usually the driver is less demanding.

Eh - the WiFI was more of a bonus if it worked.

I'll try 2000.

If it sucks, I'll probably move to Linux.

elephants

1 hour ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I have a spare PCI WiFi card (TP-LINK TL-WN951N V3) and don't know what to do with it.

Putting it in my Phenom tower/Minecraft server screws it up.

I can't put it in my AM4 tower because it doesn't have PCI slots.

The three things left that have open PCI slots are:

1. Power Mac G4 (broken for awhile)

2. Socket 3/486 motherboard with PCI

3. My Pentium III 500 MHz build

1. It doesn't support the G4 afaik.

2. I have no plans to use this board ever.

3. I don't think Windows 2000 supports WiFi.

Does anyone know if Windows 2000 does, and if so, do you know if I could find drivers for this?
The TP-LINK website only goes back as far as XP, but the chip itself might have drivers for 2000.
Just thought I'd ask.

Natively it probably doesn't support WiFi. Windows XP was the first Windows OS to have a WiFi manager intergraded if I recall correctly. Most WiFi adapters back in that day did include their own WiFi management software. But you need to find one with Windows 2000 drivers. 

According to Wikpedia Windows 2000 was released in 2000 and ended extended support in 2010. So Id imagine that because Wireless G was out at the time, there would be some Wireless G cards that support Windows 2000. Maybe Wireless N, but it would have to be an OLD card. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Natively it probably doesn't support WiFi. Windows XP was the first Windows OS to have a WiFi manager intergraded if I recall correctly. Most WiFi adapters back in that day did include their own WiFi management software. But you need to find one with Windows 2000 drivers. 

According to Wikpedia Windows 2000 was released in 2000 and ended extended support in 2010. So Id imagine that because Wireless G was out at the time, there would be some Wireless G cards that support Windows 2000. Maybe Wireless N, but it would have to be an OLD card. 

This card is 2015 minimum...

Definitely not.

elephants

2 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

This card is 2015 minimum...

Definitely not.

Exactly the card is too new. Windows 2000 had not been supported for 5 years at that point. So if you need WiFi for that computer, you need to find a used WiFi adapter for that time period. Also you need the software as I mentioned above. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.