Newly built PC starts (lights up, fans spin) but no output whatsoever.

Daniel_H212

Here's my parts list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/SomeIdiot212/saved/CNvfyc (MSI B460M-A Pro, i3 10100, ASUS Phoenix OC GTX 1650 SUPER, 16 GB G.Skill RAM, 1 TB WD Blue HDD)

Basically when I press the power button, the fans light up and all start spinning and everything (the two chassis fans are connected directly to the power supply via molex though, not connected to the motherboard, only the cpu fan is connected to the cpu fan pins on the motherboard), but I get no signal from either the GPU (both DisplayPort and HDMI tried) or the iGPU through the HDMI port on the motherboard. I also hear no beeps from the post code speaker thing that my case included for some reason (I plugged it into exactly where the motherboard manual said to plug it in).

The motherboard has what MSI calls EZ debug LEDs, and it shows that "BOOT" is the problem, which according to the manual "indicates booting devices not detected or fail". I have my hard drive plugged in properly, so how could this be a problem? Hard drive is completely clean (just bought it new), but it's not like the BIOS needs me to have Windows or anything to boot, so why is it not working and not even giving any video output? Do I need to install an m.2 SSD or something (none are installed, so all the SATA ports should be usable right?)??? How could I get the speaker to work so that it will give me actually useful error information?

I'm so confused pls help

1 minute ago, Daniel_H212 said:

We can't see your build, it's private. Would you be able to list your CPU, Mobo, GPU and PSU?

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

Just now, tishous said:

We can't see your build, it's private. Would you be able to list your CPU, Mobo, GPU and PSU?

I think I've set it to public now, sorry.

Try unplugging the HDD and then booting. If that doesn't work, you could try reseating RAM.

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

5 minutes ago, tishous said:

Try unplugging the HDD and then booting. If that doesn't work, you could try reseating RAM.

I tried, but the same things are happening still. I can clearly hear the hard drive spinning up when I turn it on, so I'm pretty sure that's working, but the motherboard doesn't seem to think the hard drive is there or something idk.

Just now, Daniel_H212 said:

I tried, but the same things are happening still. I can clearly hear the hard drive spinning up when I turn it on, so I'm pretty sure that's working, but the motherboard doesn't seem to think the hard drive is there or something idk.

How long do you leave it on before turning it off?

1 minute ago, tishous said:

How long do you leave it on before turning it off?

like 30 seconds (I'm very used to SSD speeds so maybe the fact that this system only has a hard drive might slow it down more than I expect)? have tried like up to 5 minutes before though and still nothing 

52 minutes ago, Daniel_H212 said:

Helpppp

I had a similar problem in my system. Be sure that you are connected to the gpu output and not the motherboard output if you are using hdmi... Also my motherboard has indicator lights to show what it is trying to do. Maybe if yours has lights it could help you research a better diagnosis. Also I was able to fix my no output problem by disconnecting the cpu power cable from the motherboard and plugging it back in again. If that doesn't work then idk, maybe check that all the other plugs are nice and tight. Good luck 🙏

13 hours ago, Gaming Nugget said:

I had a similar problem in my system. Be sure that you are connected to the gpu output and not the motherboard output if you are using hdmi... Also my motherboard has indicator lights to show what it is trying to do. Maybe if yours has lights it could help you research a better diagnosis. Also I was able to fix my no output problem by disconnecting the cpu power cable from the motherboard and plugging it back in again. If that doesn't work then idk, maybe check that all the other plugs are nice and tight. Good luck 🙏

I tried all the video outputs, both on the motherboard (which should work because the i3 10100 has integrated graphics) and on the GPU (both HDMI and DP). The motherboard does have indicator lights, basically, but all it told me was that the boot device wasn't working properly, and I can't figure out whether it's the hard drive, the cable, the connector on the motherboard, or something in software that is causing the problem. I've tried unplugging and re-plugging everything, hasn't worked so far.

1 hour ago, Daniel_H212 said:

I've tried unplugging and re-plugging everything, hasn't worked so far.

This might be a dumb question, since you have alluded to the fact that you can hear the hard drive powering and made mention to board ports, but do you have both SATA power & data cables connected? In other words, the HDD is connected to both your Motherboard AND your power supply?

4 minutes ago, Flannelist said:

This might be a dumb question, since you have alluded to the fact that you can hear the hard drive powering and made mention to board ports, but do you have both SATA power & data cables connected? In other words, the HDD is connected to both your Motherboard AND your power supply?

Yeah I do. I tried multiple different SATA data ports on the motherboard too. Maybe I should try with a different cable??

And also, I'm pretty sure that even without a hard drive or anything, the system should still boot right?

3 minutes ago, Daniel_H212 said:

And also, I'm pretty sure that even without a hard drive or anything, the system should still boot right?

Yeah, I would think it should POST regardless of whether or not a storage device is installed. I might try a different cable, wouldn't hurt anyways.