Video editing system on a budget (CPU only)

Budget (including currency): 28000 INR // 380 USD (Ryzen Build ONLY)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Adobe Premiere Pro, DaVinci Resolve, AE and Audition on some level.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Friend has an Asus X370 Prime Pro lying around so would be using that board.

GPU: Old R9 390x

RAM: HyperX 8gb DDR4 2400mhz

PSU: Antec Earthwatt 750G Gold certified

My previous CPU was an Intel i7 6700k which I sold and now looking for a new system. Sold the i7 for 13000 INR (178USD). The second hand market in India is close to none, so selling or buying old cpu is really tough here.

I was fixed on the 3600 which is available for 17000 INR (233 USD) but then I watched the reviews for 5600x and obviously fell in love with it. (5600x is 10000 INR more than 3600 so that would be 333 USD)

(I have a crush on the 3900x as well, but cannot afford it) 😆

Getting the 3700x isn't an option as it's price is higher than 5600x and I have seen enough reviews/benchmarks to see that the 5600x goes ahead of the 3700x in the applications that I would be using.

Coming to the point

For those who have seen AMD's recent CES keynote and disappointed because they launched no desktop cpus and the infamously rumored 5600 non X which was speculated to be released at 220 USD. 😑

Even if AMD plans to launch it in march end because that's when Intel would be launching their cpus and it would be a great time for AMD to do it as well. It would still take 2-3 months more for them to arrive in India and with 18% tax it would go easily for 20000 INR ie 260 USD (considering they released it at 220 USD)

Or else we are looking at upwards of 280 USD or so.

There are no stock issues here because people here do not upgrade every year.

I wasn't impressed with AMD when they decided that the 5900 and 5800 non X variants would be OEM only.

If that's the case with 5600 then I am pretty sure it won't be available in the market anytime soon.

5600x is far better than the 3600 and even the 3700x and I do know that.
But however I do not want to regret my decision in just 3-4 months.

Should I save my money and go for the 3600 and probably buy a better ram 🧐

Or should I go all in and buy the 5600x because it would be very much useful in video editing when compared to the 3600? 3600 and 5600x owners please help?

I would be putting all my savings into this and would probably need to close my bank account as would be charged for not maintaining low balance 😆

Thanks in Advance. (Video editing is my main line of work and not just a side gig)

(For those who want to say that the X370 Prime would not support the 5000 series, let me tell you that I am aware of that and I am pretty sure Asus would eventually give 5000 support on x370 because Asrock already has released alpha bios for the x370, b350 and the smallest a320 boards some of which cost just 55 USD

However if Asus does not give any support I do have MSI B550-A PRO)

I think you should go for the 5600x, if this is your main line of work where time is money, and it'll pay for itself, because you're going to be earning money using it. The IPC lift would also come in handy. A little bit of future proofing never hurts if you have the budget for it.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

5 hours ago, danielevans007 said:

I think you should go for the 5600x, if this is your main line of work where time is money, and it'll pay for itself, because you're going to be earning money using it. The IPC lift would also come in handy. A little bit of future proofing never hurts if you have the budget for it.

I got hooked up into the benchmarks and prices so much that almost forgot about future proofing. 😂

What are your thoughts on the 5600 nonX given what AMD is doing now.

5 hours ago, zerocool1431 said:

I got hooked up into the benchmarks and prices so much that almost forgot about future proofing. 😂

What are your thoughts on the 5600 nonX given what AMD is doing now.

Haven't given much thought to be honest. They'd be probably be the same 5600x with a lesser overclocking potential perhaps, the usual differences between them in the 3000 series...

11 hours ago, danielevans007 said:

Haven't given much thought to be honest. They'd be probably be the same 5600x with a lesser overclocking potential perhaps, the usual differences between them in the 3000 series...

Sorry for not saying clearly, what I meant it is about the release time period and if they will ever release a 5600 for the consumer now that they've already said that the 5900 and 5800 non X would be OEM only. :?(

2 hours ago, zerocool1431 said:

Sorry for not saying clearly, what I meant it is about the release time period and if they will ever release a 5600 for the consumer now that they've already said that the 5900 and 5800 non X would be OEM only. :?(

Oh yeah, it could be OEM only, that'd be sad from a price point of view. TBH I'd rather go with a non X version and save a couple bucks rather than an X variant. This is why we need constant competition in any industry. The moment one goes slack, the other one tries to pull off something not very good. And we all know how much time passes by before the average Indian consumer gets to at least see it somewhere. 

21 hours ago, AnirbanG007 said:

Oh yeah, it could be OEM only, that'd be sad from a price point of view. TBH I'd rather go with a non X version and save a couple bucks rather than an X variant. This is why we need constant competition in any industry. The moment one goes slack, the other one tries to pull off something not very good. And we all know how much time passes by before the average Indian consumer gets to at least see it somewhere. 

Agreed about the competition. I was doing a bit more research and found out that the 3800x and the xt are just 1-2k higher than the 5600x and I might be able to search for a good deal during the festival season.
Considering the 2 more cores and 4 more threads and significantly better performance in adobe premiere pro when compared to the 5600x, I had this thought that the 3800x or the xt might be a good future proof option as more and more applications are able to use more cores down the road.

I did watch Gamers Nexus: 3800xt waste of silicon video but that entire video is based on the price difference between 3900x and 3800xt as both of these cpu's were available for 400 USD approx.  (which is not the case in India as the 3900x is far ahead at 546 USD and the 3800xt is at 400usd approx

21 minutes ago, zerocool1431 said:

Agreed about the competition. I was doing a bit more research and found out that the 3800x and the xt are just 1-2k higher than the 5600x and I might be able to search for a good deal during the festival season.
Considering the 2 more cores and 4 more threads and significantly better performance in adobe premiere pro when compared to the 5600x, I had this thought that the 3800x or the xt might be a good future proof option as more and more applications are able to use more cores down the road.

I did watch Gamers Nexus: 3800xt waste of silicon video but that entire video is based on the price difference between 3900x and 3800xt as both of these cpu's were available for 400 USD approx.  (which is not the case in India as the 3900x is far ahead at 546 USD and the 3800xt is at 400usd approx

If you could get a good deal on ryzen 3000 series earlier than the 5600x launches in India, I think it's totally worth it. IPC lift doesn't matter as much as extra cores and threads in your domain. Also, festival season is far away xD. You might save a lot of time and money before festive season arrives with a good deal now if you get it.

5 minutes ago, AnirbanG007 said:

If you could get a good deal on ryzen 3000 series earlier than the 5600x launches in India, I think it's totally worth it. IPC lift doesn't matter as much as extra cores and threads in your domain. Also, festival season is far away xD. You might save a lot of time and money before festive season arrives with a good deal now if you get it.

I guess you meant the 5600 non X

And amazon/Flipkart have Republic day sale coming up. And I cannot find the 3800xt or the 3800x anywhere under 29k across all websites.

Whereas 5600x has a lowest price or 27k.

Let's hope for the best and I'll probably go with the 3800x if it drops down till 27k. Or else 5600 is the way to go

4 minutes ago, zerocool1431 said:

I guess you meant the 5600 non X

And amazon/Flipkart have Republic day sale coming up. And I cannot find the 3800xt or the 3800x anywhere under 29k across all websites.

Whereas 5600x has a lowest price or 27k.

Let's hope for the best and I'll probably go with the 3800x if it drops down till 27k. Or else 5600 is the way to go

I didn't mean the non X but yeah non X is what it should have been. Thanks for pointing it out. I was unaware of the prices. Yeah man, good decision, also tell me what you finally get whenever you get it. Good luck.