[SOLVED] Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 3 Motherboard Incompatibility (Strix X570-E Gaming)

gal-m
Go to solution Solved by gal-m,

Hello all. The problem is now SOLVED.

@narrdarr's solution is NOT NEEDED.

As I suspected the key thing here is to ALSO install the CPU, as the trick, I believe, is that instead of the cold plate applying pressure to the CPU, the actual CPU gets PULLED TO the cold plate of the Arctic LF II Rev. 3 cooler - so the whole thing works like a clamshell, I think. After tightening the thumbscrews, the backplate should press against the back of the motherboard as well.

There is also a difference between the standard and offset mounting procedure, where the standard mounting procedure covers the whole CPU, but the temperatures are actually a bit higher, which is interesting! The offset (as the name would suggest) actually leaves some of the CPU exposed (it is aprox. 90% covered with thermal paste), but your temperatures get lowered.

TO ANYONE EXPERIENCING CLEARANCE ISSUES WITH M.2 COVERS: Some AMD AM4 motherboards are unfortunately not compatible with the offset mount for Ryzen 3000/5000 series. If the mounting clips collide with components surrounding the socket area, you NEED to assemble the cooler using the STANDARD mounting method without offset. (https://support.arctic.ac/index.php?p=lf2-360r3)

SUMMARY: The Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 3 IS FULLY COMPATIBLE with the Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard.

• There is NO NEED to request rev. 2 mounting hardware (unless you'd like to)
  • THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to damage your motherboard by "modifying" (aka. ruining) your m.2 shield
  • There is however EXTREMELY tight clearance between the mounting clips and caps on the left side of the board

FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Hello all.

I have decided to purchase an Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360 AIO (rev. 3), as I've heard wonderful things about this AIO liquid cooler.

I was hoping to cool my AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU with it, installed in an Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard. I proceeded following the official installation instructions for motherboards featuring the AMD (AM4) socket. I used the correct AMD standoffs (as seen in my video) and proceeded screwing in the mounting clips, with the four provided screws. After that I noticed my motherboard backplate had LOTS of vertical play - it seemed VERY loose (check the video, link bellow), after which I noticed this compatability warning depicted in the image bellow:

xcompatibility_warning.jpg.pagespeed.ic.mtRqMK083x.webp

It would appear that my Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboards backplate is incompatible with the official Arctic AM4 installation procedure. I have made a YouTube video showcasing the issue

On their support page it says: "If your motherboard is equipped with such non-compatible backplate, please contact us here to get a compatible one free of charge", so I'm thinking about doing that.

Has anyone else had this issue? I would deeply appreciate if any of you could provide me with further info/experiences, etc.

Thank you all for your time!

Yes you can do that. They should send you the rev 2 mounting hardware.

Sounds like Arctic is doing the right thing, and has ZERO control over motherboard manufacturers and their backplate used.  Good on Arctic.  Love their products.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

8 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Yes you can do that. They should send you the rev 2 mounting hardware.

Thank you, I will try that ASAP! I have also noticed someone mentioned on the topic bellow reported he in fact DOES have the REV. 3 version successfully mounted to an X570 STRIX motherboard.. just not sure how he did that.

As I suspected the key thing here is to ALSO install the CPU, as the trick, I believe, is that instead of the cold plate applying pressure to the CPU, the actual CPU gets PULLED TO the cold plate of the Arctic LF II Rev. 3 cooler - so the whole thing works like a clamshell, I think. After tightening the thumbscrews, the backplate should press against the back of the motherboard as well.

There is also a difference between the standard and offset mounting procedure, where the standard mounting procedure covers the whole CPU, but the temperatures are actually a bit higher, which is interesting! The offset (as the name would suggest) actually leaves some of the CPU exposed (it is aprox. 90% covered with thermal paste), but your temperatures get lowered.

TO ANYONE EXPERIENCING CLEARANCE ISSUES WITH M.2 COVERS: Some AMD AM4 motherboards are unfortunately not compatible with the offset mount for Ryzen 3000/5000 series. If the mounting clips collide with components surrounding the socket area, you NEED to assemble the cooler using the STANDARD mounting method without offset. (https://support.arctic.ac/index.php?p=lf2-360r3)

SUMMARY: The Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 3 IS FULLY COMPATIBLE with the Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard.

• THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to damage your motherboard by "modifying" (aka. ruining) your m.2 shield
  • There is however EXTREMELY tight clearance between the mounting clips and caps on the left side of the board

FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.

• 5 weeks later...

Just a quick update: 

GN explains a lot of what I'm talking about in this video.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 6:07 PM, gal-m said:

FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Hi Gal-m,

Did u use offset mount or standart mount? I have Rev.2 mounting clips and its work like a charm, no issues at all. Anyway, several days ago i send email to Arctic support and now they are sending me Rev.4 AMD offset mounting kit. In another forum i read that with Rev.4 clips, u can use offset kit with x570-E or Dark Hero MB. Do you know anything about that?

A little bit different than Rev.3

https://support.arctic.ac/lf2-360r4

On 2/27/2021 at 7:12 AM, Hophopcu said:

In another forum i read that with Rev.4 clips, u can use offset kit with x570-E or Dark Hero MB. Do you know anything about that?

Hey @Hophopcu and sorry for the late reply, I must have missed your notification!

There is a difference between the standard and offset mounting procedure, where the standard mounting procedure covers the whole CPU, but the temps are actually a bit higher. The offset leaves some of the CPU exposed, but your temps get lowered.

I am (going) to use the standard mounting procedure, because the Strix X570-E is incompatible with offset (Rev. 3), due to m.2 shield proximity.

I am not sure about Rev. 4.. I think GN must have mentioned that in the video linked above 🙂

Will you let us know, if and/or when you try installing using Rev. 4?