LG 38GN950-B

MannyDE

Hey there!

I'm fairly set on buying a LG 38GN950-B monitor. My question is: Are there any alternatives coming or already on the market that may be better for the price that i'm not yet aware of (1380€ in Germany)?

I plan to use it for at least the next 5 years or so, and i'd hate it to get buyers remorse because in 1 month something better gets released.

Usecase will be pretty much gaming only.

It's literally ces this week. Many new monitors have been announced. There's a 40 inch lg 5120x2160 ultrawide. That's all I know off the top of my head, there are probably several other notable ultrawides that have been announced

Edited by Fungal

1 hour ago, Fungal said:

It's literally ces this week. Many new monitors have been announced. There's a 40 inch lg 5120x3840 ultrawide. That's all I know off the top of my head, there are probably several other notable ultrawides that have been announced

Thanks for the info. I quickly googled what monitors already have been announced. So far there are none that would steer me away from the one in OP. The one you mentioned is a creator focused panel that only runs 72Hz. As gaming is my main usecase, i'd want to go with 120Hz or higher. Afaik CES is over as of today. So it seems like there are no notable new monitors worth waiting for. At least for the next few months.

10 hours ago, Fungal said:

It's literally ces this week. Many new monitors have been announced. There's a 40 inch lg 5120x3840 ultrawide. That's all I know off the top of my head, there are probably several other notable ultrawides that have been announced

That's certainly the wrong resolution you are quoting there as it is 4:3. That is the opposite of ultrawide! MIght be 5120x1440 or 5120x1600 though

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

39 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

That's certainly the wrong resolution you are quoting there as it is 4:3. That is the opposite of ultrawide! MIght be 5120x1440 or 5120x1600 though

my bad meant to say 5120x2160. Knew it was 4k in terms of height but put the wrong 4k dimension 

• 2 months later...

I have the 38GN950-B and a Nvidia GTX 1650 Super, PH-GTX1650S-O4G.

I have no picture until Windows is loaded with this monitor (-> no Signal on Displayport)

The LG Software Onscreen Controll and UltraGear Control Center did not find the monitor with DP1.4 activ, although it is recognized correctly in the Nvidia Control Panel and can be used otherwise as well. LG Software is only working if i set it to DP1.2, but still with "no Signal" at boottime!

I read fucking Nvida Cards have big problems mith DP! WTF? and they released a firmware update tool

-> https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Problem ... not working with the "new" 1650 Super and did not find a newer version at Nvidia Side.

So i fuck of Nvida and found on the Dell side a FirmwareUpdate for 1650er GPUs ...

https://www.dell.com/support/home/de-de/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=56d88

1click, and it updates my GOP to a new version ... but still not working in DP1.4 Mode!