Games that uses peer to peer?

DeagleMaster
Just now, Biomecanoid said:

why not ? what do you mean ?

If the things that the Uni does will effect my ability to play online games on PC? Maybe a stupid question, but it is quit important for me to have a place where I can stay in touch with my friends when I move to a new city.  

8 minutes ago, DeagleMaster said:

If the things that the Uni does will effect my ability to play online games on PC? Maybe a stupid question, but it is quit important for me to have a place where I can stay in touch with my friends when I move to a new city.  

I don't know the policy of your UNI but if what you said is true that they are blocking only p2p gaming will be fine.

Now if they are blocking more things and this is effecting gaming, you can use a VPN to circumvent their policies. 

5 minutes ago, Beltrix said:

Gaming in general SHOULD be fine. I wouldn't sweat it. Plus like @Biomecanoidsaid, you can use a VPN or even a wifi hotspot or your phone. 

WiFi hotspot on the phone will use the data plan of the phone which could result in a big bill at the end, if the data plan is not unlimited.

I think the goal here is to game for free :P

1 minute ago, Biomecanoid said:

WiFi hotspot on the phone will use the data plan of the phone which could result in a big bill at the end, if the data plan is not unlimited.

I think the goal here is to game for free :P

Well the rent I pay covers the UNI wifi so not exactly free, but yes using mobile data is something I am trying to avoid. Living as a student costs a lot (even in Norway) and our data plans here can be quite expensive. 

5 minutes ago, DeagleMaster said:

Well the rent I pay covers the UNI wifi so not exactly free, but yes using mobile data is something I am trying to avoid. Living as a student costs a lot (even in Norway) and our data plans here can be quite expensive. 

Well the worst thing it could happen is having to pay for a VPN. There are free ones but are GB limited and not good for browsing only not gaming or downloading / streaming

40 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

The above is wrong.  You have 1 server + multiple client.  You connect to the server ONLY. The server does not connect you to other players. Player pool, is NOT affected

40 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

In p2p you are a client and a server at the same time and that is a big NO for security administrators.

UwU... 

I think you're pretty undecided on what p2p is lol, but ok!

for the record: in p2p 1 player is host, the other is client. it even tells you "host disconnected" or "player disconnected" if you were the host... 

Also 1 player can indeed be the host for several other players, usually only used in non competitive games, otherwise the host might have an advantage, also called "host advantage" but what I said is surely wrong, ok lol. 

As for the OP, this is really unclear im pretty sure that some games block strict NAT such as CoD etc, regardless of platform, but I don't play those, and this might change in the future with cross platform gaming and whatnot. 

Hence I said OP should ask the Uni since no one here can tell him with certainty, unless they also go to such an uni and are a gamer. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

UwU... 

for the record: in p2p 1 player is host, the other is client. it even tells you "host disconnected" or "player disconnected" if you were the host... 

Also 1 player can indeed be the host for several other players, usually only used in non competitive games, otherwise the host might have an advantage, also called "host advantage" but what I said is surely wrong, ok lol. 

As for the OP, this is really unclear im pretty sure that some games block strict NAT such as CoD etc, regardless of platform, but I don't play those, and this might change in the future with cross platform gaming and whatnot. 

Hence I said OP should ask the Uni since no one here can tell him with certainty, unless they also go to such an uni and are a gamer. 

Could the use of a vpn stop games from beeing blocked in that case?

10 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

UwU... 

You are replacing knowledge with imagination and adding confusion to the thread.

p2p is a scenario where you act both as server and client forwarding traffic, you can laugh but this is final. Prime example is torrents.

99% of games are client / server based.  Can you name a game that is peer 2 peer ?

If you play ONLINE and you are not hosting a game server on your own PC players are NOT hosts.  Even if a player is the host because his pc is the server that is still a Client/Server scenario nothing to do with p2p.

Games don't block or allow anything. The majority of games work with outgoing traffic you don't need to have open ports on your PC unless you are hosting a game server. In most networks outgoing traffic is unfiltered. Admins mostly care about open ports and incoming traffic to the network.

25 minutes ago, DeagleMaster said:

A VPN circumvents anything.

27 minutes ago, DeagleMaster said:

I don't think it's possible to block a VPN, but I'm not entirely sure tbh. 

I'm just wondering why they'd block "p2p" but not VPN as that would make the p2p block rather useless... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I don't think it's possible to block a VPN, but I'm not entirely sure tbh. 

I'm just wondering why they'd block "p2p" but not VPN as that would make the p2p block rather useless... 

Yes you can block VPN too if you want. There are many ways to do so the simplest way is to load an IP list of known VPN servers onto the firewall and block it.

Hehe, this is pretty interesting, so basically if your admins know their stuff they can block you from using VPN, they can also see that you're trying to use one, which then would likely be against the unis rules, but without knowing what they're really doing we're going in circles here @DeagleMaster

https://www.pcmag.com/news/how-to-block-unauthorized-vpns

But basocally you need to block the ports that the VPN is trying to use. Most VPN's use standard ports to communicat and blocking thos ports effectivenly will disable the VPN. Below is a list of common ports for VPN types:

• For PPTP:
    • IP Protocol=TCP, TCP Port number=1723   <- Used by PPTP control path
    • IP Protocol=GRE (value 47)   <- Used by PPTP data path
  • For L2TP:
    • IP Protocol Type=UDP, UDP Port Number=500    <- Used by IKEv1 (IPSec control path)
    • IP Protocol Type=UDP, UDP Port Number=4500   <- Used by IKEv1 (IPSec control path)
    • IP Protocol Type=ESP (value 50)   <- Used by IPSec data path
  • For SSTP:
    • IP Protocol=TCP, TCP Port number=443   <- Used by SSTP control and data path
  • For IKEv2:
    • IP Protocol Type=UDP, UDP Port Number=500    <- Used by IKEv2 (IPSec control path)
    • IP Protocol Type=UDP, UDP Port Number=4500   <- Used by IKEv2 (IPSec control path)
    • IP Protocol Type=ESP (value 50)   <- Used by IPSec data path

tldr: if I were your admin you wouldn't be using a VPN :D

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux