Dark Hero just ordered, validate the rest of my build?

WalkerYYJ

Budget (including currency): Not super important (Cad)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  VR with poorly multi threaded apps, VMs, some light editing work, and some quasi heavy lifting FPGA compiling.

Other details Needs to fit in a 4U chassis, I dont care about noise, I have clean air and dont want to have to deal with maintenance on a liquid system. Win 10LTSC

Motherboard just came into stock again (ordered) so wanted to validate the rest of the build to see if anyone has suggestions for edits...

Already ordered:

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

Plan to order:

5900x or 5950x once they bloody well come into inventory. Will end up going with a 3800 as an interm solution if need be. Core wise I suspect a 5900 will get the job done given my workloads (upgrading from a 4930K).

Noctua NH-U12S (I'm 75% pretty confident I can get this to fit into the 4U chassis, some other guy has a post about getting this to "just" fit. If need be I can rock some shorter standoffs & kapton as needbe)

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 CL14

Western Digital WD BLACK SN850 NVMe M.2 2280 2TB

2x Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB on striped sofware RAID (Windows?) for bulk storage of editing stuff.

2080 Super (until 3900s are available.)

Rocking 2x 120 and 2x80 deltas for cooling, currently tied directly into an 850W Seasonic (GX series) with their tach and PWM pins busted out for the MB.

Really this is mostly a question about ram and CPU cooler I suspect. I dont think there's a need for anything faster than the SN850 for my applications

Would love any insight!

seems all good except

44 minutes ago, WalkerYYJ said:

. Will end up going with a 3800 as an interm solution if need be

I hope you mean "3900x" or "3700x", because the 3800x is nothing but a waste of ~$100 over the 3700x

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

An awfully fancy motherboard for a rackmount build. 🙂

Did you try the NH-U12S case compatibility checker, https://ncc.noctua.at/coolers/NH-U12S-9/cases/Chenbro/?q=Rm423, to see if your case is listed? As the link shows a Chenbro 4U case is not considered compatible.

Using shorter standoffs might net 2mm. It will come down to the skin and motherboard thickness.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.