First PC Build, any problems?

1. Budget & Location

$800 USD

2. Aim

I'm going for an all-around machine for light gaming such as Minecraft (modded), Terraria (also sometimes modded), and some e̶m̶u̶l̶a̶t̶o̶r̶s̶. I will also be using it for CAD with fusion 360 and Autodesk Inventor as well as video editing (1080 mostly) with Filmora 9.

3. Monitors

Just one 1080 Asus monitor. Nothing special.

4. Peripherals

Already have USB mouse and keyboard. Windows is not an issue.

5. Why are you upgrading?

To have an up-to-date pc that is snappy and capable with the programs I run without completely re-fitting my current pc with new parts.

I have been using an old prebuilt pc for a long time now and I am looking to upgrade to a new custom one to build myself. This is my first time doing so, so I'm looking for any tips from more experienced people to help or tell me anything I did wrong. My budget is $800 but I can give or take about 50. I just need any tips you might have for different parts than the ones I chose, anything that won't work or I am making difficult for myself, or places I can save money to put towards more important things. The total price of the screenshot is $784.84.

pcpartpicker.thumb.jpg.a1a7df2042634addec1d54fec63de045.jpg

P.S. The Seagate Barracuda will just be for extra storage since I have lots of pictures and videos. The SSD will be the main boot drive. The custom prices are from lower priced parts elsewhere.

Everything is solid; great ram speed and capacity, storage is excellent, GPU is solid and will allow you to do everything you intend.

The stock CPU cooler coming with the CPU is sufficient. I have the same CPU paired with a 1070ti and it does great. When you get into the Ryzen 7 & 9 then I would say go for a bigger CPU cooler or AIO but with the Ryzen 5 you should be good.

I would put the $25 towards getting a B550 board that supports the first gen Ryzen. This will be give you more features, the newest generation motherboard for the AM4 socket, and the ability to throw a later generation Ryzen CPU down the road. Or put it towards a bigger/modular PSU.

Thanks for the tips. I got rid of the cooler but when I look for compatible b550s the website doesn't show up with any. I'm guessing it's the CPU but I don't really know which part is incompatible (or if pcpartpicker is wrong)

I dug into a few subreddits and see that the b550 motherboards support the AM4 socket but not the CPU and that the manufacture isn't planning on providing the BIOS update to make it possible. Sorry for not digging deeper initially; the whole AMD community has been critical of the board/generation support issue.

So your initial plan of the B450 will work and you will still have the option to put newer generation Ryzen CPU's into it. Then save the money or put it towards modular PSU.

Plus let this thread hang around and more folks with be able to chime in with helpful info too!

Ok thanks for checking. I can just keep the extra money for gas so that doesn't really matter much. Thanks for the cooler tip though, I forgot the CPU comes with cooling so you saved me some good money there. I was planning to leave this up for a while anyways. Good to hear as many opinions as you can!

I'll probably just stick to the one I have. I don't want to look for another comparably priced board with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi and I don't want to throw away 100 bucks if it doesn't work. Thanks for the effort though

to be honest a lot looks wrong with it, i can see your planning a budget build, but a lot of the components are already out of date. 

one thing for sure is why not a M.2 nvme drive for O/S you can get Gen3 nvme drives for similar price as the SATA one you selected.  and if that's too expensive you can get SATA M.2 drives just to save on the cable management. 

That case you selected is huge, says mid tower but is still a ATX case, that with a M-ATX m-board will look empty and silly. 

27 minutes ago, Fraya said:

one thing for sure is why not a M.2 nvme drive for O/S you can get Gen3 nvme drives for similar price as the SATA one you selected

What would you say about a Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME instead? I'm trying to keep around the 100 dollar price range of the hynix.

29 minutes ago, Fraya said:

That case you selected is huge, says mid tower but is still a ATX case, that with a M-ATX m-board will look empty and silly. 

Are you saying I should use a micro atx tower instead? Or look for a smaller mid tower case?

30 minutes ago, Fraya said:

to be honest a lot looks wrong with it

Is there anything else significant or is it just the two you mentioned

I would go with something like this if you absolutely HAVE to build right now:

This feels weird saying this but this GPU is 'Good Value' right now, being about $30-40 over its normal price.

This is probably the least you can spend on a PC as the moment with it being actually worth it due to the massive inflation and no stock anywhere.

Your best move is to wait. If you can. For a 1660 super (very similar to the 1660ti) to come back in stock under $250. Then it will be more in your budget.

I am actually planning to buy the parts and build in the summer but I will definately take your choices into consideration. Although I would like the price a little lower than 900 but it should go down with the graphics card stuff and all that. Thanks for the help!

@Avocheeseado

What do you think of this?

696466959_Newpcpartpicker.thumb.jpg.aea97e16bebeaba6bbc0a9f4b3710e30.jpg

I added a 500gb version of your SSD, the 3600, and your case. I don't really have the budget for the 1660 ti but I think the one I have should be enough for what I'm trying to do.

8 hours ago, ZachPike said:

What would you say about a Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME instead? I'm trying to keep around the 100 dollar price range of the hynix.

Are you saying I should use a micro atx tower instead? Or look for a smaller mid tower case?

Is there anything else significant or is it just the two you mentioned

for the M.2 you basically get what you pay for, just look at the specs, they should be 3000+ for read and write speeds for decent one, if less than 3000 then its just plain older tech and cheaper / slower. 

Team Group are ok, i never had a problem with any of there products. but just look at the ratings and read reviews before buying anything. 

Yes the case should really be M-ATX case for a same form factor m-board, unless you want a massive case with not much in it. 

if you thinking about building in the summer, i advice just keep checking the market for things as in 6 months time everything will have changed again. 

also look into the used, refurbished, open box market, you can get some good deals if you do your homework. 

13 hours ago, ZachPike said:

@Avocheeseado

What do you think of this?

696466959_Newpcpartpicker.thumb.jpg.aea97e16bebeaba6bbc0a9f4b3710e30.jpg

I added a 500gb version of your SSD, the 3600, and your case. I don't really have the budget for the 1660 ti but I think the one I have should be enough for what I'm trying to do.

looks good to me

19 hours ago, ZachPike said:

1. Budget & Location

$800 USD

2. Aim

I'm going for an all-around machine for light gaming such as Minecraft (modded), Terraria (also sometimes modded), and some e̶m̶u̶l̶a̶t̶o̶r̶s̶. I will also be using it for CAD with fusion 360 and Autodesk Inventor as well as video editing (1080 mostly) with Filmora 9.

3. Monitors

Just one 1080 Asus monitor. Nothing special.

4. Peripherals

Already have USB mouse and keyboard. Windows is not an issue.

5. Why are you upgrading?

To have an up-to-date pc that is snappy and capable with the programs I run without completely re-fitting my current pc with new parts.

I have been using an old prebuilt pc for a long time now and I am looking to upgrade to a new custom one to build myself. This is my first time doing so, so I'm looking for any tips from more experienced people to help or tell me anything I did wrong. My budget is $800 but I can give or take about 50. I just need any tips you might have for different parts than the ones I chose, anything that won't work or I am making difficult for myself, or places I can save money to put towards more important things. The total price of the screenshot is $784.84.

pcpartpicker.thumb.jpg.a1a7df2042634addec1d54fec63de045.jpg

P.S. The Seagate Barracuda will just be for extra storage since I have lots of pictures and videos. The SSD will be the main boot drive. The custom prices are from lower priced parts elsewhere.

The i5-9400f is on sale for $100 from Walmart and def outperforms that ryzen 5 1600. Somehow with all the ryzen hype we’re now living in a world where intel is the better value 0_o

[edit: I should add if you’re doing like blender or something where thread count specifically is going to be an advantage the ryzen will probably be better because it’s 6c 12t vs 6c 6t]