Power supply issue has left myself and my friend stumped.

Airshiphead
Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,

Welcome to the forums!!!

His power supply appeared to be the culprit. It's an EVGA 750W 80 plus Gold... He plugged in his girlfriend's PSU (another 750w 80 plus Gold) and that PSU fried within 2 minutes of plugging it in.

You most likely have a short either with the processor or motherboard, most likely the motherboard failed and shorted out, then shorting out the processor. I would advise building a new computer as a replacement motherboard/processor is too costly when you can get a newer build with more performance for the same price. 

So my friend switched his PC on this morning and found it to be non-functional. His power supply appeared to be the culprit. It's an EVGA 750W 80 plus Gold.

However, his CPU is ancient. A six core phenom II, and this is where we're thinking there may be an issue. He plugged in his girlfriend's PSU (another 750w 80 plus Gold) and that PSU fried within 2 minutes of plugging it in.

We think the rest of the PC is ok, but hard to tell right now as we don't particularly want to throw any more power supplies onto the sacrificial pyre.

My main question is this, when selecting a new power supply, is there any spec we need to be careful of to avoid incompatibility with his old CPU and motherboard? 

Welcome to the forums!!!

His power supply appeared to be the culprit. It's an EVGA 750W 80 plus Gold... He plugged in his girlfriend's PSU (another 750w 80 plus Gold) and that PSU fried within 2 minutes of plugging it in.

You most likely have a short either with the processor or motherboard, most likely the motherboard failed and shorted out, then shorting out the processor. I would advise building a new computer as a replacement motherboard/processor is too costly when you can get a newer build with more performance for the same price. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

5 minutes ago, Airshiphead said:

and that PSU fried within 2 minutes of plugging it in

That sounds a lot like there's a short somewhere on the mobo or some other device.

Personally, I'd see if I can scavenge some old, cheap-as-chips PSU somewhere and only plug the mobo + CPU, skipping all other peripherals and GPUs and everything, to it and see what happens -- just a hunch, but you'll probably find it still burning out the PSU.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

That sounds a lot like there's a short somewhere on the mobo or some other device.

Thanks for getting back to me. I had a feeling it was that, but was looking for the least expensive option for obvious reasons. Thanks anyway!