Forza Horizon 4 wont start downloading (Gamepass for pc)

Helpful Tech Witch

I really wanted to try Forza harizon 4 on my pc. But the problem is, the Xbox app is being a whiny little b*tch. I cant get it to start the download.

I hit resume on the game, and it says resuming, then it says error.

When I click the error details, It just says "Something unexpected happened". (like tat will help me)

This problem persists through a restart, windows installations (got a new boot drive when trying to fix it), and harsh words.

I do get a error code, 0x80072f8f, but that seems to be a network problem. Which I know isn't true, because other games work just fine.

Has anyone else gotten this error? If so how did you fix it?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I really wanted to try Forza harizon 4 on my pc. But the problem is, the Xbox app is being a whiny little b*tch. I cant get it to start the download.

When I click the error details, It just says "Something unexpected happened". (like tat will help me)

This problem persists through a restart, windows installations (got a new boot drive when trying to fix it), and harsh words.

I do get a error code, 0x80072f8f, but that seems to be a network problem. Which I know isn't true, because other games work just fine.

just install it through the Microsoft store, as the xbox app can be pretty broken 

9 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Also sometimes the windowsapps directory may get broken and refuse to work for no apparent reason. the only way is to make a new partition or overwrite the existing ones. windowsapps folder requires install permissions something that even a 'secret' admin can't do.

3 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

just install it through the Microsoft store, as the xbox app can be pretty broken 

Just tried. Same error with no information.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Is it possible to get a video of the problem?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

weird 

Just now, JustUni said:

Also sometimes the windowsapps directory may get broken and refuse to work for no apparent reason. the only way is to make a new partition or overwrite the existing ones. windowsapps folder requires install permissions something that even a 'secret' admin can't do.

Yeah, the take ownership reg hack doesn't take all of the ownership. I'll try on a diffrent drive

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Yeah, the take ownership reg hack doesn't take all of the ownership. I'll try on a diffrent drive

I've done that before, i was trying to fix my grandma's windows tablet that got stuck on an old version of windows, that had a but that the apps displayed in the ad thing don't show i tried it and it ended being such a waste of time. Good luck to you. Hopefully your windowsapps folder won't meet the same fate as many other ones before it.

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

Is it possible to get a video of the problem?

Not right now, I'm walking this little asshole

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpg.8a9dedfb71221414377671a43d20f994.jpg

But I can in 15-20mins

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, JustUni said:

I've done that before, i was trying to fix my grandma's windows tablet that got stuck on an old version of windows, that had a but that the apps displayed in the ad thing don't show i tried it and it ended being such a waste of time. Good luck to you. Hopefully your windowsapps folder won't meet the same fate as many other ones before it.

Here's the thing. It's only Forza 4. Other games  (gears 5, no man's sky, Doom eternal) download to the same drive fine,

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

if worst comes to worst you can always play/download forza motorsport 7 while waiting, sometimes issues like this just resolve themselves (asides forza motorsport 7 runs a hell of a lot better than forza horizon 4 lol)

Here's the thing. It's only Forza 4. Other games  (gears 5, no man's sky, Doom eternal) download to the same drive fine,

Yea i've had a specific game get stuck on that one drive unable to finish.

I've had an issue where the game wouldn't properly launch and that was related to gsync and my display. Forza exhibits weird issues with install and launch.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

@Kanna(sorry for audio, I'm stressing a gpu oc in the backround)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

@Kanna(sorry for audio, I'm stressing a gpu oc in the backround)

FullSizeRender.mov 12.78 MB · 0 downloads

Check if you have any windows updates or related

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Just now, Kanna said:

yeah that can often fix weird issues like that

14 minutes ago, Kanna said:

im all the way updated. MS store is newest, xbox app is newest, and windows is on win10 pro 20h2 (dontknow if tahts "newest", but its as far as windows update takes me)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

im all the way updated. MS store is newest, xbox app is newest, and windows is on win10 pro 20h2 (dontknow if tahts "newest", but its as far as windows update takes me)

try this

Reminder⚠️

6 minutes ago, Kanna said:

try this

nope. same error, same code.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

nope. same error, same code.

Make sure your gamepass is paid

Reminder⚠️

42 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Make sure your gamepass is paid

it is. untill april 1.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

it is. untill april 1.

Well then I don't know sorry, try contacting MS support or reinstall xbox app

Reminder⚠️

Hey I had this issue today, I fixed it by swapping the default install path From my D drive to my C drive and back again. No idea why it broke but this fixed it for me so I hope it helps you!

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/xba_wowpc-xba_gowxb/how-to-change-install-directory-for-xbox-beta-app/04aeae3d-7a64-44c0-b615-7ae0a9540cd4