Elite Dangerous Controls

Donut417

So my buddy brought out about some new content coming to the game. I own Eltie Dangerous but I couldn't really get in to it due to the complexity of the controls. I tried to play with my Logitech game pad I have and it wasn't a great experience. I tried my Microsoft Sidewinder (Old I know) and I didnt really care for the either. What do some of you guys use? What will give me a decent experience? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Keep playing and you'll get more used to it. Any binding is non-intuitive at first, as you really need all six axis' of control.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

1 minute ago, svmlegacy said:

Keep playing and you'll get more used to it. Any binding is non-intuitive at first, as you really need all six axis' of control.

Like I said, I wasn't liking the controls with the controller. I find that the joystick is limited in what it can do. The keyboard and mouse just suck for playing that game. I ended up getting frustrated and said fuck this. Lucky I got the game on sale. 

It does end up needing rather a lot of buttons. While I was active I used a Fly 5 joystick, but that doesn't seem to be made any more. I didn't only use stick, but supplemented with keyboard too. Some players get around the button pressing by using Voice Attack.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I played with a keyboard/mouse and a controller and hated it with both. Maybe if you have a full hotas setup it's fine, idk.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I played with a keyboard/mouse and a controller and hated it with both. Maybe if you have a full hotas setup it's fine, idk.

I did a bit of research and I guess some people use two joysticks. Some use a Joystick and something like the Razer Tartarus, and some use full Hotas setups. I thought about a Hotas but they are expensive. If I went that route I would want more than one game that Id be using that bad boy on. Plus it would take up a lot of space on my desk. Which could be an issue for when I do my monitor upgrade. 

My problem was that the throttle axis would move it's 0 point. If I was in supercruise, for example, and dropped to normal space, if I was at 0 throttle in super, dropping into normal space I'd be doing reverse. Or, if I was at 0 in normal space, it would suddenly be forward in supercruise. Same with docking, it was really frustrating, and it seems like I was the only one having this problem, since goggling it, and even posting about it on the Frontier forums, resulted in 0 help.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022