Looking for a unicorn app for messaging

Hello everyone. 

What I'm looking for doesn't seem to really exist. Not here in the UK anyway (messenger for kids is unavailable) 

I'm looking for a simple messaging app, preferably with calling functionality (video would be a bonus) that my son who is 5 can use to contact me instead of having to rely on asking his mum. He's getting to the age where he wants to contact me himself. (me and his mother are seperated) And I can't really find anything decent to enable us to talk. He can read and write so even if its just text based, that would be fine. 

The caveat is that his android device does not have a sim card. (tablet) And I do not want him to be able to find or add other contacts unless we add them for him. He gets very limited screen time as it is, but it would be nice for him to be able to contact me on his terms.  I am also running android. 

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. 

12 minutes ago, GrandFatMan said:

Hello everyone. 

What I'm looking for doesn't seem to really exist. Not here in the UK anyway (messenger for kids is unavailable) 

I'm looking for a simple messaging app, preferably with calling functionality (video would be a bonus) that my son who is 5 can use to contact me instead of having to rely on asking his mum. He's getting to the age where he wants to contact me himself. (me and his mother are seperated) And I can't really find anything decent to enable us to talk. He can read and write so even if its just text based, that would be fine. 

The caveat is that his android device does not have a sim card. (tablet) And I do not want him to be able to find or add other contacts unless we add them for him. He gets very limited screen time as it is, but it would be nice for him to be able to contact me on his terms.  I am also running android. 

Have you considered Telegram or WhatsApp? Just throwing it out there.

13 minutes ago, GrandFatMan said:

Hello everyone. 

Google hangouts is fairly simple and effective, you could try that

18 hours ago, Keamon said:

Google hangouts is fairly simple and effective, you could try that

I'd like something with a simpler ui if possible 

18 hours ago, 514_AppleGuy said:

Have you considered Telegram or WhatsApp? Just throwing it out there.

WhatsApp requires a sim card unfortunately. 

Not heard of telegram but I will check that out. Looks decent! Thanks

Yep, telegram requires a sim card /active phone number. Shame. That would have been perfect. 

Does WA now require an active sim card? Some time ago you could register a WA acc too any number and just type the digits by hand.

Some folks just used there landline.

Edited by Konrni
missing word

Correct me if i'm wrong, learning is a lifelong mission

1 hour ago, Konrni said:

Does WA now require an active sim card? Some time ago you could register a WA acc too any number and just type the digits by hand.

Some folks just used there landline.

Interesting to know. I never thought of that. I could try and set him up an account using his mums number. That might be an option