5800x will not boost

5800x
asus x570 tuff gaming (latest bios and chipset drivers)
ripjaw v c16 3600 2x8
first started out windows and apps would only detect 6/12 core. it took installing ryzen master for everything to detect 8/16
now it wont boost at all im noticing. (it wasnt boosting when everything said it was 6/12 also)
if all core is set to 3.8 thats it...set it to 4.2 again thats it
it will downclock itself fine but wont boost past what speed is set at
i even went onto bios and turned on and adjusted PBO...nope still wont boost at all past stock speed
what am i missing

Tried the ol' CMOS reset yet?
Have you adjusted the clock speeds manually?

10 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Tried the ol' CMOS reset yet?
Have you adjusted the clock speeds manually?

yep reset cmos....got it to overclock to 4.6 all core..no issues (well temps touched 80c) but it ran fine

it just wont boost

threw back in my 3600...just opening a program it boosted...just not this 5800x

the computer recognizing the processor as a 6 core instead of an 8 core is a little concerning, was this an old windows install with a 6 core?

please note that when you manually set the clock speed that is what the cpu will limit itself to, which isn't that big of a deal since from my experience my 5800x clocks up to 4650 all core while undervolted, so if you do some manual tuning you will probably be able to get more multi-core performance and little loss to single core performance. In my experience it results in better overall performance since boost usually ends up lower than 4650 with more than a couple threads heavily loaded.

First, I would advise resetting your BIOS, loading optimized defaults, loading your DOCP profile for your ram and then saving your settings and trying that in windows. If that doesn't work check below:

Asus Performance Enhancement - is supposed to just affect cpu boost limit, but I've had it turn mine off before if disabled, so enable this
AMD Overclocking Eco Mode - should be turned off unless your specific use case demands it
AMD CBS Core Performance Boost - the actual setting that enables boost in the AMD specific menu, make sure this is on or auto
Check your various Pstate settings in the advanced settings, you can even try disabling some of them to see if it fixes your issue

If you want to change the baseclock of the processor that it clocks down to, that's found in custom Pstate0 under AMD CBS if you have that option

edit: I doubt it has anything to do with it, but it could be a setting in the windows power settings doing dumb stuff as well. Check your power mode options available and settings, the default high performance mode typically works. I suspect software could also be the culprit

8 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

the computer recognizing the processor as a 6 core instead of an 8 core is a little concerning, was this an old windows install with a 6 core?

please note that when you manually set the clock speed that is what the cpu will limit itself to, which isn't that big of a deal since from my experience my 5800x clocks up to 4650 all core while undervolted, so if you do some manual tuning you will probably be able to get more multi-core performance and little loss to single core performance. In my experience it results in better overall performance since boost usually ends up lower than 4650 with more than a couple threads heavily loaded.

First, I would advise resetting your BIOS, loading optimized defaults, loading your DOCP profile for your ram and then saving your settings and trying that in windows. If that doesn't work check below:

Asus Performance Enhancement - is supposed to just affect cpu boost limit, but I've had it turn mine off before if disabled, so enable this
AMD Overclocking Eco Mode - should be turned off unless your specific use case demands it
AMD CBS Core Performance Boost - the actual setting that enables boost in the AMD specific menu, make sure this is on or auto
Check your various Pstate settings in the advanced settings, you can even try disabling some of them to see if it fixes your issue

If you want to change the baseclock of the processor that it clocks down to, that's found in custom Pstate0 under AMD CBS if you have that option

edit: I doubt it has anything to do with it, but it could be a setting in the windows power settings doing dumb stuff as well. Check your power mode options available and settings, the default high performance mode typically works. I suspect software could also be the culprit

the windows install isnt that old but. yea it took installing ryzen master before windows realized oh i do have a 8/16 cpu lol

i reset bios. and already did everything in bios i can

i have windows power settings to ryzen high performance i even went and looked through the advanced just in case something there changed.

if this is some damn windows setting thats messed up...dammit where is it lol

fixed it..reset bios and looked even more in each tab.....apparently theres 2 places to enable PBO on my asus board
the different sites said it was in advanced (which it was)
it was the one under ai tweaker that needed enabled..now it boosts 4.8 single the rest were 4.4 but damn it got hot quick, it tried to go 4.6 the rest of cores but it was thermal throttling...almost instant 90c doing cinebench but dropped back again almost instant to 43c when done...cant wait for water cooler to come in

holy.jpg

47 minutes ago, circeseye said:

the windows install isnt that old but. yea it took installing ryzen master before windows realized oh i do have a 8/16 cpu lol

i reset bios. and already did everything in bios i can

i have windows power settings to ryzen high performance i even went and looked through the advanced just in case something there changed.

if this is some damn windows setting thats messed up...dammit where is it lol

if your computer was reading the cpu properly it should be dropping the Ryzen specialized power plans when you update the chipset driver, the 5000 series doesn't use it. You may be having some issues with windows not properly recognizing the cpu due to some of the old hardware settings not clearing up. Could do a clean install, would probably help a bit. And yeah, there being 2 spots for PBO on Asus boards is kind of a pain in the ass. You could go through the AMD PBO advanced settings in the AMD Overclocking part of the BIOS to use the new PBO2 feature and offset core voltage down a few steps, curve optimizer I think it was called. That could help with your temperature issue, although honestly I haven't had much luck getting it working nice.

47 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

if your computer was reading the cpu properly it should be dropping the Ryzen specialized power plans when you update the chipset driver, the 5000 series doesn't use it. You may be having some issues with windows not properly recognizing the cpu due to some of the old hardware settings not clearing up. Could do a clean install, would probably help a bit. And yeah, there being 2 spots for PBO on Asus boards is kind of a pain in the ass. You could go through the AMD PBO advanced settings in the AMD Overclocking part of the BIOS to use the new PBO2 feature and offset core voltage down a few steps, curve optimizer I think it was called. That could help with your temperature issue, although honestly I haven't had much luck getting it working nice.

yea im researching more how to tweak PBO. but cooling will be better when my water cooler gets here

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully ASUS has released an updated BIOS..  You will need at least AGESA 1.1.8.0 to be able to use Curve Optimizer..
I've got the MSI B550 Tomahawk & they have a BIOS available..   And using Curve Optimizer has worked for me..

My 5800X had volts at 1.334v at 4.60ghz. with temps at 82c. Now I get 1.264 & 4.723ghz with temps at 78c

20 minutes ago, Purplehazeffc said:

Hopefully ASUS has released an updated BIOS..  You will need at least AGESA 1.1.8.0 to be able to use Curve Optimizer..
I've got the MSI B550 Tomahawk & they have a BIOS available..   And using Curve Optimizer has worked for me..

My 5800X had volts at 1.334v at 4.60ghz. with temps at 82c. Now I get 1.264 & 4.723ghz with temps at 78c

i got it working. once watercooling got installed with pbo cranked it screams now. highest temp it hit was 73c and watched it hit 5.2 a few times while running cinebench single core. held at 4.7 in multi. so im happy now lol