inconsistent speeds over wired LAN network

will121162

Hello, 

currently making a novice networking centre in my home, using windows file sharing, I've managed to make 2 hard drives and some SSDs accessible to the hole network. this is only a 1gigabit network but yet the speeds fluctuate from reasonable (80MB/s) to unusable (1-5MB/s). there was minimal traffic when I conducted these tests, and to make sure there was no bottle neck with the hardware at each end, I was transferring from SSD (SATA) to SSD (NVME 3.0). (granted not exactly a RAID 0 NVME4.0 but should easily saturate a 1gig switch.)

I'm using;

*BT home hub 6 (upgrading to a NETGEAR D7000-200UKS Nighthawk AC1900 soon) 

*NETGEAR GS305 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch

*MACHINE 1* B350 msi pro, R5 1600, 16GB ram 2400Mhz, various drives - 1gig ethernet port    *ex gaming machine*

*MACHINE 2* B550 msi tomahawk, R7 3700, 16GB 3600Mhz, NVME4.0 and 3.0-  using the 1gig ethernet port but also has 2.5gig      *current gaming machine* 

* both on latest windows 10 pro

only issue I could see is both devices are running off one switch that is then only got a single CAT5e connection to the router. 

I want them both on windows rather than running Linux as I don't know f**k all about Linux. 

if anyone's able to tell me what I'm doing wrong id be greatly appreciative thanks!

peak speeds were about 80MB/s

lows were about 10MB/s

image.png