Be honest, is my fiber cable fucked? Or am I retarded

Bean Cooling
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

So that cables is yellow and seems to be made for single mode connections, that is likely your issue.

That damage might be your issue, but I have seen cables with much more damange still working, so Id say its unlikely.

So I was working on a home network upgrade, I’m using a mikrotik CRS305 and a CSS326, with 2 Avago 10Gbps sfp+ transceivers, and a 30m multimode optic fiber, just plugged in both transceivers and there is no indication of the link working, I cannot access the the CSS326 via the IP I assigned to the management interface, I saw this blemish on my cable, is my cable broken?

EDIT: I do have some cisco transceivers lying around would they be useful?

B7D1BFE7-63C0-4F12-865A-A7153E4CEC86.jpeg

6E01AC9B-8B90-4436-88F1-AADC69AA347E.jpeg

So that cables is yellow and seems to be made for single mode connections, that is likely your issue.

That damage might be your issue, but I have seen cables with much more damange still working, so Id say its unlikely.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I just read the label on the cable and I think that might be the issue, SM, is printed on the side, I'll order a new cable and see if it works, but rerunning the 30 meter cable through my house is going to suck, also your YT vids are pretty good.

Just now, Bean Cooling said:

I just read the label on the cable and I think that might be the issue, SM, is printed on the side, I'll order a new cable and see if it works, but rerunning the 30 meter cable through my house is going to suck, also your YT vids are pretty good.

The lazy way to fix it is to get a single mode transceivers.

4 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The lazy way to fix it is to get a single mode transceivers.

I'm probably going to do that, my transceivers are 850nm, and I checked the amazon page, the cable can only do 10Gb at 1550nm or 1310nm

4 minutes ago, Bean Cooling said:

I'm probably going to do that, my transceivers are 850nm, and I checked the amazon page, the cable can only do 10Gb at 1550nm.

look for 10gbase-lr for single mode. 10gbase-sr is the version for multimode.

Just now, Bean Cooling said:

I'm probably going to do that, my transceivers are 850nm, and I checked the amazon page, the cable can only do 10Gb at 1550nm.

Just need two of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/10Gtek-Ubiquiti-UF-MM-10G-10GBase-SR-300-meter/dp/B01M0IS42K/

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

25 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

look for 10gbase-lr for single mode. 10gbase-sr is the version for multimode.

Noted

22 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Nah, I found a site that sells them for $24 each https://www.fs.com/products/65337.html?attribute=107

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Yah, fs.com is usually my go to but I just wasn't sure how fast you needed them :)

Even then Thx for thinking abt time sensitivity, even though it is a home installation.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

ebay can be even cheaper for transcivers, I have bought a good amount for sub 10 bucks without issues.

Yeah I got all of my transceivers via ebay, but I checked about 30 minutes ago and had a hard time finding reasonably priced ones. I'll check again right now, and see if I find one.

18 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

ebay can be even cheaper for transcivers, I have bought a good amount for sub 10 bucks without issues.

alright I found someone selling Cisco SFP-10G-LR-S modules for under $10, but the don't support FCoE, would that be bad for an installation between 2 switches that use ethernet to connect to users, or does that not make a difference for a switch to switch installation?

EDIT: Just learned what SAN is, man do I feel stupid for writing this.

10 minutes ago, Bean Cooling said:

alright I found someone selling Cisco SFP-10G-LR-S modules for under $10, but the don't support FCoE, would that be bad for an installation between 2 switches that use ethernet to connect to users, or does that not make a difference for a switch to switch installation?

EDIT: Just learned what SAN is, man do I feel stupid for writing this.

are you using FC? I don't think it will matter for your use case

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

are you using FC? I don't think it will matter for your use case

Yeah, I'm just using it for a wired connection to a switch that will connect to 1 or 2 PC's and a home server.