Can I install windows XP on an SSD? TRIM?

S2000Gan

Hello Everyone! 
I have a couple old Win98 and XP game disks and a bunch of old-ish hardware.
Right now I'm looking at either using a Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, or maybe an i5-2400.
As for GPU Ive got an 8600 GTS, 9500 GT, and a GTX 460.
As far as I know I don't need a slow processor for any of the games. 
I have a 120GB SSD I want to install Windows XP 32bit on but Ive heard there are issues or things you have to set up in order to run XP on an SSD.
I know that you have to disable disk defragmentation, but Ive heard you need something to add TRIM support?
Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

My System - Featuring Custom Laser Etching: (Out of Date - Need to update with current system pictures)
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11149-my-custom-rig-ft-custom-laser-etching/

5 minutes ago, S2000Gan said:

Hello Everyone! 
I have a couple old Win98 and XP game disks and a bunch of old-ish hardware.
Right now I'm looking at either using a Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, or maybe an i5-2400.
As for GPU Ive got an 8600 GTS, 9500 GT, and a GTX 460.
As far as I know I don't need a slow processor for any of the games. 
I have a 120GB SSD I want to install Windows XP 32bit on but Ive heard there are issues or things you have to set up in order to run XP on an SSD.
I know that you have to disable disk defragmentation, but Ive heard you need something to add TRIM support?
Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Honestly it works fine just stop defragging and it's good.

Disable any automatic drive cleanup and the sata drivers for XP kinda spoof trim. You don’t have to worry about it

t. ran XP on a thinkpad with a Chinese 120gb ssd for several years 

-> Moved to Windows

I think main issues might come from hardware side. But as long as your mobo supports SATA2 thens thats ok. TRIM and other SSD support was added in Window7 I think. Or in Win8 as native.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 1/2/2021 at 4:00 AM, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Windows

I think main issues might come from hardware side. But as long as your mobo supports SATA2 thens thats ok. TRIM and other SSD support was added in Window7 I think. Or in Win8 as native.

Ah I missed there was a Windows section! Thanks!

Isnt TRIM important for SSDs? I think I heard that there are programs you can install to add TRIM support to an XP system?

My System - Featuring Custom Laser Etching: (Out of Date - Need to update with current system pictures)
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11149-my-custom-rig-ft-custom-laser-etching/

2 hours ago, S2000Gan said:

Ah I missed there was a Windows section! Thanks!

Isnt TRIM important for SSDs? I think I heard that there are programs you can install to add TRIM support to an XP system?

Don't quote me on this, but TRIM was more important for the early SSDs. Now, I don't remember specifics so hopefully someone corrects me. And yes, there probably is disk tools that run TRIM and support XP.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 1 year later...

Hello, i have similar problem, and I can't find anyone who understand this problematics...maybe someone will help me here, given that the topic is relatively fresh.

I have installed win xp on hdd, then I installed hitachi drivers to support memory cards and thumbdrives, then i cloned system to micro SDHC. Now i run XP from micro SDHC card 🙂 , but i ran into a problem when i use sdelete, i'm not sure if the data is immediatly permanently deleted or still physically present as garbage collection or in overprovisioning space. 

How does xp and modern micro SDHC deal with this?