Anyone here have experience with the Dell Poweredge r715 for computer simulations?

Mega2
22 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Where are you getting your int performance benchmarks? The opterons are fine at int, but still worse than the intel chips at the same clock speeds, esp by the newer ivy bridge chips.

How often do you have to run these jobs, might make sense to just rent vps time when you need it. Then when you have a bit more, id try to get a system that would be much faster

Use will be rather sporadic but probably 3-4 times per week. Some sims might go for 5ish days. Since I'm starting work with MIT now on some of their fusion projects I have to make sure I get this server up and running soon. Maybe later prices will fall and I'll save up enough money to get myself a better server.

The reason why I can't go with a VPS is because I'm working with some VERY controlled software. Nuclear software can be used for very good things or very bad things. For that reason, the govt needs to be able to know exactly where the files are, who controls/sees them, and how they're disposed of once my license expires. Having it hosted somewhere in cyberspace is a big no no.

Thanks again for all your help with this process. I'll make sure to take your word on the newer PowerEdge models once I manage the scrape up more money, but for now I guess I'll have to hit the ground running with a slightly cheaper model.

-> Moved to Laptops and Pre-Built Systems

Also merged. Please don't post about same stuff multiple times.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv