Game/system crashes after adding more RAM

DanTheMuffinMan

Hello everyone, I built this PC (Hex in sig) a few months ago using two 8 gb sticks of G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series DDR4 3600 RAM. Decided to grab myself 2 more sticks during the boxing day sale (same exact RAM) for a total of 4 x 8gb = 32gb, they arrived yesterday and I installed them. I had my PC restart on my that night while playing Age of Empires 2 Definitive with some friends and so today I decided to run the Windows Memory Diagnostic to see if my new RAM was the problem. It returned no problems found.

I booted up the Star Swarm Stress Test on Steam and had it crashed after a few seconds. I then launched Cyberpunk and it crashed after about a minute and now crashes on start up.

Seems like it can't be a coincidence that I installed new RAM and now suddenly am having crashes, but how can I confirm that if the Windows Memory Diagnostic says it's all good?

Specs in sig, but let me know if you have any questions or advice. I have Prime95 running now, but I honestly don't know how to use it, I see it saying a bunch of Fatal Errors regarding rounding results...

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

8 minutes ago, DanTheMuffinMan said:

Windows Memory Diagnostic

Worthless. Use MemTest86.

8 minutes ago, DanTheMuffinMan said:

I see it saying a bunch of Fatal Errors regarding rounding results...

Probably bad RAM. In my professional experience, G.Skill RAM is crap. 

Are you using XMP in the BIOS? If so, turn that off.

Are you OCing anything? If so, turn that off.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Hello Radium, just tried re-seating the RAM, no diff. I'll jump into BIOS now to check XMP.

Nope, no OC.

How do I actually use MemTest86? I downloaded it but it looks like it wants me to load it onto a USB, is that the only way?

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

@Radium_AngelI went into the BIOS and DOCP (Ryzen's version of XMP I believe, correct?) was set to "Profile DDR4-3603 18-22-22-42-1.35 V" so I disabled it and am now able to get the Star Swarm Stress Test to run just fine. I've got Prim95 running with no errors so far.

Of course now my RAM is only running at the default 2133 MHZ. Any way to get it back up to the manufactured 3600 MHZ spec?

If the error only occurs when running DOCP, what does that mean?

2 minutes ago, DanTheMuffinMan said:

@Radium_AngelI went into the BIOS and DOCP (Ryzen's version of XMP I believe, correct?) was set to "Profile DDR4-3603 18-22-22-42-1.35 V" so I disabled it and am now able to get the Star Swarm Stress Test to run just fine. I've got Prim95 running with no errors so far.

Of course now my RAM is only running at the default 2133 MHZ. Any way to get it back up to the manufactured 3600 MHZ spec?

RAM speed and AMD CPUs are very finicky things. It's why I don't use them (I prefer Xeon builds) 

You'd have to play with the RAM speeds and timings manually, and IMO, it's not worth it. Someone will come along I"m sure who can tell you better settings to use, but I prefer stability over speed any day.

@Electronics Wizardy may be able to help.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, DanTheMuffinMan said:

So using DOCP is a overclock, and not guaranteed. So thats likely your issue. Also running 4 sticks normally means your can't run at as high of freqencies. Try running it at 3200 and see if you still have errors.

@Electronics Wizardy Interesting, I did not know that, OK, I'll go try setting it to 3200, run some tests and report back. Thanks for the help guys.

Alright, I left DOCP off and just changed the frequency to 3200 MHZ. Look's like it's running stable now, Star Swarm ran fine and Prime95 isn't throwing any errors yet. Thanks again.

If you want to push frequency you need to manually set soc and vddp voltage, soc max is 1.2v, vddp is 1.1v (there's a similarly named cldo_vddp, max is 1v for that) vddg voltage also does stuff for ram, personal experience is it does more on the timings side than frequency, 1.15v max (requires soc at least 0.05v higher than vddg)

I would recommend starting with 1.15v soc, 1v vddp, and 1.08v vddg, leave primaries on auto and set vdimm voltage to 1.35v, then push the ram frequency up incrementally until you hit 3600mhz or a test errors. Test with prime95 large ffts, occt large data set or memory test, tm5 with the 1usmus or anta777 profile, or hcimemtest (for the free version you have to open 1 window for each cpu thread and divvy your memory between them). I've heard memtest86 is unreliable nowadays.

But I'd shoot for at least 1hr no errors, for just pushing frequency (longer tests needed if/when tightening timings). If you can't get to 3600mhz you can raise soc, vddp, and vddg (in the order I would adjust them). If you do hit 3600 you can lower the voltages or proceed to trying the xmp/docp profile again with soc, vddp, and vddg set manually

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W