GeForce RTX™ 3080 VISION OC 10G self overclocking itself to 1930-1950 mhz from the 1800 mhz stock frequency

b0ne-

So when I am not doing anything just browsing the web watching videos and stuff my gpu stays on 1800 mhz which is the stock frequency

but when I start gaming i have been playing doom eternal recently my gpu randomly activates its turbo mode or whatever and overclock itself 

to 1930-1950 mhz, a boost I don't need and a boost I don't want, please tell me how can I disable this turbo mode.

Is it even possible? 

PS : The temperature goes above 70 degrees celcius most of the time and i have pretty good airflow in my case - cooler master td500 mesh 

I have not seen it go above 75 but going closely to 70 is worrying me : ( 

Same thing was going on with my cpu (ryzen 5 5600x) but i disabled the turbo mode from the bios after updating it to the latest version.

3 minutes ago, b0ne- said:

So when I am not doing anything just browsing the web watching videos and stuff my gpu stays on 1800 mhz which is the stock frequency

but when I start gaming i have been playing doom eternal recently my gpu randomly activates its turbo mode or whatever and overclock itself 

to 1930-1950 mhz, a boost I don't need and a boost I don't want, please tell me how can I disable this turbo mode.

Is it even possible? 

PS : The temperature goes above 70 degrees celcius most of the time and i have pretty good airflow in my case - cooler master td500 mesh 

I have not seen it go above 75 but going closely to 70 is worrying me : ( 

Why don't you want it...?

You can't "disable" nvidia boosting technology, its baked into the chip at the firmware level. There are ways you can brute force it to just not boost via limiting the power target or temperature target... but you literally paid good money for a good GPU, let it do its thing. It isn't bad for it in any way, its how it was engineered to work.

75c is totally fine. Its working totally within its limits. If you want it to run cooler, you can lower the temp target, but there is no need to do so. I wouldn't start messing with reducing power limits or temp targets, you would just be sacrificing performance that you paid money for.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

33 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Why don't you want it...?

You can't "disable" nvidia boosting technology, its baked into the chip at the firmware level. There are ways you can brute force it to just not boost via limiting the power target or temperature target... but you literally paid good money for a good GPU, let it do its thing. It isn't bad for it in any way, its how it was engineered to work.

75c is totally fine. Its working totally within its limits. If you want it to run cooler, you can lower the temp target, but there is no need to do so. I wouldn't start messing with reducing power limits or temp targets, you would just be sacrificing performance that you paid money for.

Because I feel like that self overclocking thing causes some kind of issues with my smooth gameplay because during the first 30-40 seconds after starting the game

everything is okay and smooth and nice and the game feels so okay (doom eternal) but after that turbo mode is activated, the smoothness goes away.

I have like 280-300 even 400 fps on 1440p everything on low but the smoothness is not there and I feel like the game is lagging.Maybe it's the game itself and not my hardware but I feel like there is something wrong with my monitor/gpu settings.

Maybe I am wrong but I have been trying everything to fix that but i cant and I thought if I could disable the turbo boost things could be fine.

You are absolutely right and I completely agree with you but I just need to fix that issue and I am looking for all sorts of different ways.

1 minute ago, b0ne- said:

Because I feel like that self overclocking thing causes some kind of issues with my smooth gameplay because during the first 30-40 seconds after starting the game

everything is okay and smooth and nice and the game feels so okay (doom eternal) but after that turbo mode is activated, the smoothness goes away.

I have like 280-300 even 400 fps on 1440p everything on low but the smoothness is not there and I feel like the game is lagging.Maybe it's the game itself and not my hardware but I feel like there is something wrong with my monitor/gpu settings.

Maybe I am wrong but I have been trying everything to fix that but i cant and I thought if I could disable the turbo boost things could be fine.

You are absolutely right and I completely agree with you but I just need to fix that issue and I am looking for all sorts of different ways.

Turboing makes no difference to this. These issues might be a frame time issue.

3 minutes ago, Coolmaster said:

Turboing makes no difference to this. These issues might be a frame time issue.

if u have time take a look at those pics, it's my nvidia 3d settinggs and monitor settings, do u think there is something that could be 

changed so I can have this frame time issue fixed? 

Maybe I just bought the wrong monitor : ( 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Disable MAX PERFORMANCE, leave it on adaptive and recheck your browsing Turbo Boost when outside of Games,..

Its likely because you enabled MAXP power management mode

Anytime the GPU gets called, it goes to MAXP because you told it to. <----- it's running accordingly to your chosen settings.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

10 hours ago, b0ne- said:

What CPU do you have? Why are you playing on low settings? Driving a game at 400 FPS could run into engine limitations, or CPU limitations which can cause frame time issues as previously stated.

Run the game at higher settings to being the FPS down, that will give the CPU room to breath. More FPS won’t make it feel smoother, more consistent FPS will. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

22 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

What CPU do you have? Why are you playing on low settings? Driving a game at 400 FPS could run into engine limitations, or CPU limitations which can cause frame time issues as previously stated.

Run the game at higher settings to being the FPS down, that will give the CPU room to breath. More FPS won’t make it feel smoother, more consistent FPS will. 

I have the new ryzen 5 5600x (I could have gotten the 5900x but I only game so I did not), running at stock 3.7ghz because I deactivated the turbo mode cuz it was on auto and it always activated even when I was just browsing youtube and I don't really need 4.7 ghz all the time.The temperatures on 3.7 ghz while gaming are like 52-55 degrees and while being on 4.7 they go between 70-75 degrees.

I think it's just the game or there something wrong with some of the levels or something like that cuz I don't have the same issue in cs : go for example.

Tbh I decided to reset my nvidia 3d settings to default and the game runs quite better now.

19 minutes ago, b0ne- said:

I have the new ryzen 5 5600x (I could have gotten the 5900x but I only game so I did not), running at stock 3.7ghz because I deactivated the turbo mode cuz it was on auto and it always activated even when I was just browsing youtube and I don't really need 4.7 ghz all the time.The temperatures on 3.7 ghz while gaming are like 52-55 degrees and while being on 4.7 they go between 70-75 degrees.

I think it's just the game or there something wrong with some of the levels or something like that cuz I don't have the same issue in cs : go for example.

Tbh I decided to reset my nvidia 3d settings to default and the game runs quite better now.

Again though, why deactivate turbo on the CPU? That’s creating a massive performance hit in gaming not allowing the CPU to boost.

The CPU will fluctuate its clocks all over the place every microsecond depending on the load it sees; let it do that. Just like the GPU, it’s designed to do that. It’s also not using that much more power doing so, so seeing a high ghz number when web browsing just means it’s trying its best to give you the most performance possible. It is reacting to you, it sees a load, it’s attempting to get it computed as fast as it can. And again, those temps are fine.

When at high FPS, the CPU becomes the bottleneck as it is now responsible for pumping out more data per time to feed to GPU in order to allow the GPU to draw frames. Should defiantly just let it do its thing...