Afterburner wont allow me to change voltage

Tomass1004
Go to solution Solved by RejZoR,

You can't really change voltage on NVIDIA cards since Maxwell 2 (GTX 900 series). Probably Maxwell 1 even (GTX 700 series, though I never used that one). You're essentially just raising the existing voltage curve by increasing the voltage. Undervolting is impossible now.

It's very hard to overclock these modern cards anyway as they run pretty much maxed out out of the box. Same with Ryzen CPU's. Manually overclocking will usually only give you rather insignificant results. Reason for that are built in limits that you can't really bypass other than just pushing them higher like power target and temp limit. And even those have limit.

Usually the overclocking of modern GTX and RTX cards goes like this:

You're hitting power limit, so you raise it. Then you start hitting temperature limit. So you raise it and crank up fan speed. You're then starting to hit voltage limit. You increase that and eventually you return at hitting the power limit again despite having it raised. Gains? Usually like 50-75MHz at best. Which usually translates to a 1-3 fps boost here and there. Almost not worth the effort really if you don't understand it as automatic boosting will do good enough job. Generally just raising temperature and power limit should be enough for the card to squeeze out last drop of performance on its own. Having it cooled well helps too so either adjust the fan curve to be more aggressive or ensure case has good ventilation instead. That's basically it.

Btw, MSI Afterburner probably doesn't know how to set voltage because RTX 3000 series is so new and I don't think there were many updates for this series.

Hello i recently got an rtx 3060 ti and when i use afterburner it won't allow me to change or see the voltage. I have checked the boxes (both are on) and i have reinstalled afterburner but doesn't work. 

unknown (1).png

Nvidia locked the voltage on 10 series and later.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, keysbeast said:

wont let me do it either with my evga 2060ko just some cards you cant 

well the aorus engine allows me to change the voltage. was hoping that i could do it in afterburner because i like it more.

You can't really change voltage on NVIDIA cards since Maxwell 2 (GTX 900 series). Probably Maxwell 1 even (GTX 700 series, though I never used that one). You're essentially just raising the existing voltage curve by increasing the voltage. Undervolting is impossible now.

It's very hard to overclock these modern cards anyway as they run pretty much maxed out out of the box. Same with Ryzen CPU's. Manually overclocking will usually only give you rather insignificant results. Reason for that are built in limits that you can't really bypass other than just pushing them higher like power target and temp limit. And even those have limit.

Usually the overclocking of modern GTX and RTX cards goes like this:

You're hitting power limit, so you raise it. Then you start hitting temperature limit. So you raise it and crank up fan speed. You're then starting to hit voltage limit. You increase that and eventually you return at hitting the power limit again despite having it raised. Gains? Usually like 50-75MHz at best. Which usually translates to a 1-3 fps boost here and there. Almost not worth the effort really if you don't understand it as automatic boosting will do good enough job. Generally just raising temperature and power limit should be enough for the card to squeeze out last drop of performance on its own. Having it cooled well helps too so either adjust the fan curve to be more aggressive or ensure case has good ventilation instead. That's basically it.

Btw, MSI Afterburner probably doesn't know how to set voltage because RTX 3000 series is so new and I don't think there were many updates for this series.