Looking for router/switch with specific features

Simon771

I would be glad if anyone could give me some suggestion for decent router/switch with features:

1. 8x Gigabit ports
  2. Upload/download speed limit per port of per IP/MAC address
  3. Option to set specific ports to work as simple switch for IPTV functionality. Right now I can't connect my TV on router since it needs to be connected directly to modem, so easiest way to bypass this would be to set some ports to act like basic switch
  4. Traffic monitor for download/upload speed usage either per port or overall
  5. QoS that allows me to set highest priority for specific TCP/UDP ports.

I'm trying to find something that would have all those features, but I can't find anything in reasonable price range. Not really looking for some high end enterprise routers/switches for 500€.

Any suggestions are welcome :)

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

What isp do you have? Id leave the tv connected to the modem directly.

Do you need wifi?

Something like a edge router lite + a unmanged switch can do this.

Ubiquiti USG + Switch or dream machine pro.

USG with a switch allows exactly what you are asking using the unifi program to configure it. Downside, no built in wifi if you need.

Dream machine is a great piece but only has 5 ports but built in wifi. The dream machine pro has 8 + 2sfp+ ports all POE+. Built in cloud key, and ivr (extra i know). no built in wifi though.

4 hours ago, Simon771 said:

I would be glad if anyone could give me some suggestion for decent router/switch with features:

1. 8x Gigabit ports
  2. Upload/download speed limit per port of per IP/MAC address
  3. Option to set specific ports to work as simple switch for IPTV functionality. Right now I can't connect my TV on router since it needs to be connected directly to modem, so easiest way to bypass this would be to set some ports to act like basic switch
  4. Traffic monitor for download/upload speed usage either per port or overall
  5. QoS that allows me to set highest priority for specific TCP/UDP ports.

I'm trying to find something that would have all those features, but I can't find anything in reasonable price range. Not really looking for some high end enterprise routers/switches for 500€.

Any suggestions are welcome :)

The Synology RT2600AC checks most of these boxes. 

1) It doesn't have 8 ports, but 8 port gigabit switches are dirt cheap. 

2) No only does it limit speed per device. You can reserve bandwidth per device. So you can set a limit OR a reservation of internet bandwidth. 

3) It does have an option for IPTV, you will need to check with Synology if it works with your provider. From what I have seen it will assign one of the ports for this purpose. 

4) Not only will it show an overall usage. It will show usage per device, download and upload amounts are shown separately. 

5) Doesn't really have QoS options, but like I said, you can reserve bandwidth per device. So in a way that could work for you. 

Pros:

1. Easy to setup for the most part
  2. Has lots of features beside what is mentioned above such as Dual WAN. 
  3. Coverage seems to be good. 
  4. WPA3 support

Cons:

1. Costs $200USD  
  2. Only WiFi 5, no WiFi 6 model that I know of

One thing I do want to mention. If your TV is hooked to your modem Im betting your "Modem" is a Gateway (Modem/Router). If thats the case you really dont want to hook a router up to it, as you can cause double NAT. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.