Will an audio interface be sufficient for the HE4XX?

JeffCasual
Go to solution Solved by Ahoy Hoy,
On 12/28/2020 at 9:19 AM, JeffCasual said:

Hi, I'm new to headphones and was wondering whether the Audient Evo 4 is sufficient in driving the HE4XX. I planned on getting the Fiio K5 Pro dac/amp for the HE4XX but realized that I could save a little more money on an xlr microphone being plugged into the Evo 4. If the Evo 4 could power the headphones, would I be missing out when it comes to audio quality if I opt for the audio interface instead of the dac/amp combo?

The Evo 4 is easily powerful enough to run those headphones and has a decent DAC built in so buying any other equipment will probably have no noticeable difference in quality.

headphones- 35Ohms 93dB at 1mw                  EVO4 - at 30Ohms produces 45mW
The slight ohm difference on specs is so small that the EVO4 will easily push these headphones into hearing damage loudness which means its powerful enough.

Anyone who suggests that the Evo isnt good enough are idiots.

Hi, I'm new to headphones and was wondering whether the Audient Evo 4 is sufficient in driving the HE4XX. I planned on getting the Fiio K5 Pro dac/amp for the HE4XX but realized that I could save a little more money on an xlr microphone being plugged into the Evo 4. If the Evo 4 could power the headphones, would I be missing out when it comes to audio quality if I opt for the audio interface instead of the dac/amp combo?

1 hour ago, JeffCasual said:

Yes, for now. But do invest in an amp/DAC for headphones.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

Nah ur fine, i run HD800S off onboard ALC1220A and find it only about 0.05% worse than my RME Fireface 800.

The Evo 4 is easily powerful enough to run those headphones and has a decent DAC built in so buying any other equipment will probably have no noticeable difference in quality.

headphones- 35Ohms 93dB at 1mw                  EVO4 - at 30Ohms produces 45mW
The slight ohm difference on specs is so small that the EVO4 will easily push these headphones into hearing damage loudness which means its powerful enough.

Anyone who suggests that the Evo isnt good enough are idiots.

On 12/29/2020 at 11:29 AM, The Torrent said:

Nah ur fine, i run HD800S off onboard ALC1220A and find it only about 0.05% worse than my RME Fireface 800.

This statement makes no sense compared a pair of planar magnetic headphones. You can't just say, "I run my HD800 S's off of my mobo amp. The HD800 S's are pretty easy-medium "hard" to drive. Planar magnetic is a whole different story. But yeah. These should be fine driven off of the interface he has now. 

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

1 hour ago, Tigerleon said:

This statement makes no sense compared a pair of planar magnetic headphones. You can't just say, "I run my HD800 S's off of my mobo amp. The HD800 S's are pretty easy-medium "hard" to drive. Planar magnetic is a whole different story. But yeah. These should be fine driven off of the interface he has now. 

I didn't check sensitivity but I meant sound wise difference is small because.people say amp its amp picky (it's not).

Also I wouldn't merge all planars together many are very easy to drive.

1 hour ago, The Torrent said:

I didn't check sensitivity but I meant sound wise difference is small because.people say amp its amp picky (it's not).

Also I wouldn't merge all planars together many are very easy to drive.

When people say amp picky it doesn't mean by how loud it is but by amp to make the thing sound good imo very few amps make the HD 800s pleasant for music for me Ive only ever enjoyed listening to them through tubes I've never quite enjoyed them through solid state. It's about amp pairings and and gear synergy

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

When people say amp picky it doesn't mean by how loud it is but by amp to make the thing sound good imo very few amps make the HD 800s pleasant for music for me Ive only ever enjoyed listening to them through tubes I've never quite enjoyed them through solid state. It's about amp pairings and and gear synergy

I know that and there exactly what I'm debating.

I disagree it's amp picky at all I think it's rubbish idk where the rumour came from.

Just use eq sounds amazing through everything then.

12 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

I know that and there exactly what I'm debating.

I disagree it's amp picky at all I think it's rubbish idk where the rumour came from.

Just use eq sounds amazing through everything then.

Hey, you do you I guess.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

Should be fine, the HE4xx are relatively efficient compared to the more expensive counterparts

Current PC
Intel i5-4690k (4.5GHz at 1.25V), MSI H97 PC Mate (which I somehow got it to overclock) 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600, Transcend SSD370 256GB, Hitachi Deskstar 7200RPM 3TB, HP 1270i 22x DVD Drive, Palit GTX970 Jetstream, Andyson F500m, Lancool K62, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Dell U2414H, Logitech Z103, Rosewill RK-9000RE (Cherry MX Red), Steelseries Kinzu V2, Sennheiser HD600 with Audinst HUD-mx1 DAC/Amp

Considering: AMD Ryzen 5000 system

Current Photography setup

Pentax K-1, Pentax K-5, Sigma 17-35 f2.8-4 Aspherical, Tokina 28-80mm f2.8, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Di Macro, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX, Pentax DA 50 f1.8, Yongnuo YN585EX