New PC. Old OS Hard Drive questions.

I will be building a new computer in the coming week and I'm looking for a solution to a hard drive problem. I want to use the same 3 drives I have in this system in my new one. The only one that I'm confused about is the OS drive. I have already read the how-to on Groovypost where they say to "format the computer - this method ensures the product key is no longer in use on the computer." 

Does this mean that if I use the "reset this PC" function I can then just pop the drive into the new computer and input the product key to make sure its registered?

Im just trying to make sure I dont get screwed by Microsoft's weird licensing rules. Any help is appreciated!

Windows 10?

If you got their... account I think the merge will be easier? But I'm not sure, as I have never used their account nonsense, while it might not be that different from using their OS. It's handy to have the key, as you might have to use it when moved to a new motherboard?

11 minutes ago, GcmBoy217 said:

Does this mean that if I use the "reset this PC" function I can then just pop the drive into the new computer and input the product key to make sure its registered?

I don't think you even need to "reset" the OS installation for Windows to automatically require a new key.

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

Switching storage should happen just like you boot with your other system.

So not much to do than going into the BIOS of the new motherboard and select boot device.

49 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Which operating system?

Its Windows 10

42 minutes ago, SlashedM said:

I don't think you even need to "reset" the OS installation for Windows to automatically require a new key.

Well I'm not trying to use a new key. I want to just use the same old install on a new system with the same drives from my current system. From what I'm reading if I just plug and play I will have authentication issues.

33 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

Switching storage should happen just like you boot with your other system.

So not much to do than going into the BIOS of the new motherboard and select boot device.

I'm not so sure about that. From what I've been reading the activation key will detect a new system and will say you have an "unauthenticated" version of windows.

2 minutes ago, GcmBoy217 said:

I'm not so sure about that. From what I've been reading the activation key will detect a new system and will say you have an "unauthenticated" version of windows.

Where a new key comes in, or MS account.
I think one can get a new key for cheap.

But not fully sure.