Cisco switch 2960 bootloop

IgorM

I need to configure a cisco 2960 switch for using Packetfence but it is currently stuck in a bootloop. Whenever it's powered on I get the error message shown:IMG_20201222_180629.thumb.jpg.c2656aff018220bb852fea289b2b4486.jpg

and it keeps restarting and showing it all over again.

I suspect someone deleted the files on the flash. If you break out into ROMMON and do 'dir flash:' what do you see?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I suspect someone deleted the files on the flash. If you break out into ROMMON and do 'dir flash:' what do you see?

I currently don't have access to the switch but I can try that on the following days. Is there a key combination to enter on ROMMON mode? I am accessing it via serial console.

5 minutes ago, IgorM said:

I currently don't have access to the switch but I can try that on the following days. Is there a key combination to enter on ROMMON mode? I am accessing it via serial console.

If I remember right the break sequence is Ctrl + B or Ctrl + X, when it says "Interrupt within 5 seconds" then hit the keys many times :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

If I remember right the break sequence is Ctrl + B or Ctrl + X, when it says "Interrupt within 5 seconds" then hit the keys many times :)

Ah ok. I'll do that. My teacher told me that I probably will need to load a new firmware on it, so can I do it via ROMMON?

6 minutes ago, IgorM said:

Ah ok. I'll do that. My teacher told me that I probably will need to load a new firmware on it, so can I do it via ROMMON?

Oh boy, that's a fun one. You can load it over serial BUT see if you can do a tftpdnld first as that's a lot faster than transferring over serial :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 5:11 PM, Lurick said:

Oh boy, that's a fun one. You can load it over serial BUT see if you can do a tftpdnld first as that's a lot faster than transferring over serial :)

I tried to transfer it via tftp but I couldn't enable a port to connect to the computer, so I did using serial. I tried the recommended version (c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-55.SE12) for the model I'm using (cisco ws-c2960-24tc-s) but no success. I also tried version c2960-lanlitek9-mz.150-2.SE4.bin but also no success. 😕

What is the error message you get after it tries to load the firmware?

(If possible past the console output starting at "Initializing flash:" and ending after the reboot when you get the same "Initializing flash:" again so that we can get one full cycle of the boot.)

10 hours ago, IgorM said:

@Lurickany idea why those versions that are supposed to work on the switch don't?

Hmmm, was the output any different when you tried? Did the switch try and boot when forced from ROMMON to boot the new image?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 hours ago, Lurick said:

Hmmm, was the output any different when you tried? Did the switch try and boot when forced from ROMMON to boot the new image?

found out that version c2960-lanlitek9-mz.150-2.SE6 works just fine. Don't know why the other versions didn't

8 minutes ago, IgorM said:

found out that version c2960-lanlitek9-mz.150-2.SE6 works just fine. Don't know why the other versions didn't

Weird, I would have expected c2960-lanlitek9-mz.150-2.SE4.bin to work fine too since that's in the same train but hey, it's working now so that's good :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: