Anyone have the BIOS settings for Asus (2010) P6X58D-E motherboard

I purchased a couple of new hard drives.

I flashed to the latest version of the BIOS to 0803 for this mobo from 0303 but the BIOS settings are essentially night and day difference. Loading defaults results in my PC not being bootable. I also have custom RAM settings in the original bios which I tried to change with no difference.

I tried contacting Asus support but they remained silent. There's no documentation online whatsoever. The online (and electronic manual) still shows the original BIOS settings not the new one. I tried searching online with no success on what each of the [new] settings do which are not obvious (to me). 

I'm choked how Asus can offer BIOS updates without documentation to follow. 

Hello there. First off, could you please clarify what you mean by "BIOS settings"?

I happen to have the same motherboard as you do, but can probably not help you as mine is on version 0303. I am however curious about how the BIOS looks after the update and am therefore asking you to take pictures or record a video of the different tabs and upload them here. If you get lucky, that may be enough to solve your problem. You could also try clearing the cmos by pressing the clear cmos button on the back panel I/O, but that probably won't work. I'm guessing your bios settings have already been cleared by rewriting the ROM. I don't know that much about BIOS updates.

Anyway, all of that sounds really strange*, and I hope you get it resolved eventually.

*Except for the lack of information regarding the exact problem you are facing, and Asus' nonexistent customer support regarding this motherboard. It's one of the cons of using obscure or old hardware.

Hello again!

I updated my BIOS to the newest version and encountered the exact problem you appear to be facing. Luckily for both of us, I figured out what the problem was! In the new BIOS, the SATA controller apparantely needs to be set to AHCI mode to detect SATA drives (by default it's set to IDE, despite the motherboard not even supporting that standard physically!).

By that, I do not mean changing the "SATA controller mode" in the tab you start in to AHCI mode, because for whatever reason that doesn't really seem to do anything. Instead you have to go to the tab that's probably called "Devices" or something similar, and find something similar to "Marvell controller". That's what you have to set to AHCI mode.

For me that let the system recognise the drive without problems, and now everything is working well!

On 12/26/2020 at 12:47 AM, Lorca said:

I purchased a couple of new hard drives.

I flashed to the latest version of the BIOS to 0803 for this mobo but the BIOS settings are essentially night and day difference. Loading defaults results in my PC not being bootable. I also have custom RAM settings in the original bios which I tried to change with no difference.

I tried contacting Asus support but they remained silent. There's no documentation online whatsoever. The online (and electronic manual) still shows the original BIOS settings not the new one. I tried searching online with no success on what each of the [new] settings do which are not obvious (to me). 

I'm choked how Asus can offer BIOS updates without documentation to follow. 

Which BIOS settings do you mean exactly. Just FYI, simply copying someone else's settings probably won't really work, as the component configuration is probably quite different from yours. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 7:30 AM, Evocito said:

Hello again!

I updated my BIOS to the newest version and encountered the exact problem you appear to be facing. Luckily for both of us, I figured out what the problem was! In the new BIOS, the SATA controller apparantely needs to be set to AHCI mode to detect SATA drives (by default it's set to IDE, despite the motherboard not even supporting that standard physically!).

By that, I do not mean changing the "SATA controller mode" in the tab you start in to AHCI mode, because for whatever reason that doesn't really seem to do anything. Instead you have to go to the tab that's probably called "Devices" or something similar, and find something similar to "Marvell controller". That's what you have to set to AHCI mode.

For me that let the system recognise the drive without problems, and now everything is working well!

Hi, sorry for the late response.

You lost me with your reply.

As far as I know, there's only two places you can change the IDE/AHCI settings in the BIOS. One under Storage Configuration — Configure SATA as [AHCI] and under Onboard Devices Configuration — with Marvell 9128 Controller Option [AHCI Mode]. Where did you change it yourself within Windows? SATA 6 HDD should show up as SCSI  Disk Device.

BTW. I downgraded back to 0303 (same BIOS) you're using. I received no help, just dodging the issue from ASUS and asked me stupid questions like which manufacturer built my PC when I told them it was a custom build from a PC shop. They couldn't get their minds outside of the canned scripted responses. It would be nice to have documentation on the latest BIOS 0803.

Additionally, did you install the Marvel Controller separately using the driver from ASUS' website? You would be able to see this in your device manager under Storage Controllers: Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller from Marvell 2009-12-25,

It sounds like you might not have the Marvell driver installed because you'd likely experience BSOD and WIndow Explorer crashes.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

On 1/1/2021 at 8:24 AM, Analog said:

Which BIOS settings do you mean exactly. Just FYI, simply copying someone else's settings probably won't really work, as the component configuration is probably quite different from yours. 

Lol. I wish I knew. Like I mentioned, the BIOS settings (all) are radically different in 0803 over 0303. Sure, there's a few similar (worded) ones, but for the most part I couldn't decipher any of the NEW settings even though I had the OEM manual in front of me. Searching online was of no help. ASUS says to use the AUTO everything and everything will be just fine (NOT).  I have worked with BIOS for years prior to acquiring this mobo. So, I'm quite familiar with BIOS settings. The update ASUS just blew me away...in a bad way.

• 7 months later...

I have a P6X58D-E too, though I bought it recently and my BIOS is presumably updated to the latest version (so 0803, as indicated in the top right-hand corner). My BIOS looks like the image attached below:

20210727_222922.thumb.jpg.80043bad813639e04e220ee91bc78116.jpg

20210727_222936.thumb.jpg.75193dee469eb6e40b70f35c7eb8a6d6.jpg

How different did the old versions (like 0303) look? I found this old review from mid-2010, but apart from the UI looking slightly different, the position and functionality of all the settings and menus appear to be the same?

https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/asus_p6x58d_e_motherboard_review,9.html

contentteller.php?ct=articles&action=fil

Thanks in advance and apologies in advance if it is bad form to revive an 8-month-old thread!

FormD T1 V1.1 Build

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 || Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX || RAM: 32 GB (2x 16 GB) 3,200 MHz CL16 Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 ||
GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC ACX 2.0 || Storage: 1x 128 GB Samsung PM851, 1x 256 GB Adata SU800, 1x 1 TB Crucial P5, 1x 2 TB Teamgroup MP34 ||
Case: FormD T1 V1.1 (Silver Panels/Black Mesh) || PSU: Corsair SF750 || Cooling: Noctua NH-L9a, 2x NF-A12x25