Motherboard Main Connector to PSU (Assistance Please)!

RarestRex

Hey guys! I'm a slight noob when it comes to PC builds. I'm attempting to build my first computer and I found a cooler master 850w gold certified PSU for sale at $100. However, it has an 18 pin cable for the motherboard.. and I'm confused. I thought the MOBO main power connector was 24 pins? Did I get this wrong? 

I'm honestly distraught. I'm getting really tired of all these different PSU configurations. I don't know which standard to believe. I hear there are 28 to 24 pin cables, 18 to 24 pin cables and apparently 24 to 24 pin cables. 

Can someone just assure me this PSU will work for the ASUS PRIME X570-P I plan to purchase? 

1 minute ago, RarestRex said:

I'm attempting to build my first computer and I found a cooler master 850w gold certified PSU for sale at $100. However, it has an 18 pin cable for the motherboard.. and I'm confused. I thought the MOBO main power connector was 24 pins? Did I get this wrong? 

Standard ATX motherboard connector is 24pin

Cooler master power supplies should use 24pin ATX connectors. 

Where are you seeing the 18pin cable?

Which model cooler master power supply is it? If it's a modular power supply is that the end that plugs in to the power supply? It might have an 18+10 connector that plugs in to the power supply side. The additional 4 wires are voltage sense wires.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, RarestRex said:

Hey guys! I'm a slight noob when it comes to PC builds. I'm attempting to build my first computer and I found a cooler master 850w gold certified PSU for sale at $100. However, it has an 18 pin cable for the motherboard.. and I'm confused. I thought the MOBO main power connector was 24 pins? Did I get this wrong? 

I'm honestly distraught. I'm getting really tired of all these different PSU configurations. I don't know which standard to believe. I hear there are 28 to 24 pin cables, 18 to 24 pin cables and apparently 24 to 24 pin cables. 

Can someone just assure me this PSU will work for the ASUS PRIME X570-P I plan to purchase? 

18 pin connections are usually used in prebuilts, is the psu used? You can get 18 to 24 pin adapters but why not just get a standard 24 pin psu if you dont really need that 850w 80+ gold rating?

3 minutes ago, RarestRex said:

18 Pin is something HP as in Hewlett-Packard is or at least was using for some time. There are adapters available. Basically it is the same but the 18 pin bundles a couple of 12v and grounds into single pins. Standard PSUs should be 24 pin. Also don't buy a used power supply. I doubt you can buy an 18 pin PSU in new condition.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Standard ATX motherboard connector is 24pin

Cooler master power supplies should use 24pin ATX connectors. 

Where are you seeing the 18pin cable?

Which model cooler master power supply is it? If it's a modular power supply is that the end that plugs in to the power supply? It might have an 18+10 connector that plugs in to the power supply side. The additional 4 wires are voltage sense wires.

The PSU I really would like is the P850GM by Gigabyte. However, I'm not sure how to use the 18+10. That is what it seems to have. Any help is greatly appreciate. The cooler master PSU I saw had an 18 - 24 as far as I can tell. 

They both seem to be legit deals considering they are from well known brands. I'm just not sure if it will be compatible with the ASUS PRIME X570 mobo which is my top pick right now (primarily because it is on a mega sale for only 125)!

Just now, RarestRex said:

The PSU I really would like is the P850GM by Gigabyte. However, I'm not sure how to use the 18+10. That is what it seems to have. Any help is greatly appreciate. The cooler master PSU I saw had an 18 - 24 as far as I can tell. 

They both seem to be legit deals considering they are from well known brands. I'm just not sure if it will be compatible with the ASUS PRIME X570 mobo which is my top pick right now (primarily because it is on a mega sale for only 125)!

Please let me know guys. I'd really appreciate the help. Don't want to ruin the easiest part of the build.