Random PC shutdowns (Event ID 41)

Rykane

Hi there, I've recently been experiencing random shutdowns on my PC ever since I got my new Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC graphics card. I checked event viewer and I see the "Event ID 41" error in the logs however nothing else shows.  I initially thought it was a driver issue as I was also getting crashing in games and the new drivers from NVIDIA fixed the game crashes. However I was still getting random shutdowns every once in a while. I tried swapping out my new GPU with my old GPU and it seemed okay. So I thought it could have been RAM related so I replaced my RAM but it still continues to randomly shutdown. I then thought it could have been a corrupted windows installation as my SSD which had my windows install on it had 1% health so I replaced my SSD with a brand new SSD and reinstalled windows on that new SSD. However this also did not fix the problem as I still had random shutdowns.

I managed to get another 3080 from a friend to test to see if it was my 3080 card that was causing issues however it still randomly shuts down with this new 3080 as well so that can cross the GPUs being the issue.so my main thoughts were it's either CPU, MOBO, PSU or my wiring in my house. I just bought a new PSU (bequiet Dark Power Pro 11 850w) today to replace my older one (Corsair RM1000x)  to test since I didn't have a spare and I put it in today and just about 30 minutes ago and I had another random shutdown. I'm not sure what could be causing it now. I was reading up and if it was either my CPU or RAM overheating then I'd most likely be getting a BSOD which I'm not. I've also checked my temps and their more than fine. It leads me to believe it could either be my motherboard or my wiring/plugs in my wall that's causing the issue as I've tried everything else and I'm beginning to lose hope in solving this. 

If anyone has any ideas I've be greatly appreciated in trying to solve this. 

My specs:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K 
Cooling: NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED 64GB (4x16GB) 3000MHz DDR4
SSD: 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
HDD: 4 TB Total
Graphics Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X GAMING TRIO
Monitor: AOC CQ32G1 32" Curved VA LCD QHD (2560x1440) LED Monitor 1x LG 29UC88 29-Inch Curved Ultra Wide IPS Monitor
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
PSU: bequiet Dark Power Pro 11 850w

BIOS Version 2403 

The screenshot below shows all the random shutdowns (Including power button ones that I manually initiated) 

mmc_R7XKvFvwfk.png

mmc_2wI4n2cS0P.png

What is your PSU? The 30 series is notorious at this point for tripping OCP on many PSUs due to it's current draw spikes.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

What is your PSU? 

My previous PSU was the Corsair RM 1000x, I just replaced it today with the be quiet! Dark Power Pro P11 850W '80 Plus Platinum' 

Event ID 41 just means there was a crash.  Not super useful.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Rykane said:

Hey, what are these in reference too?

They appear to be QVL lists. no mention is made as to what part. And I’ve never seen a QVL for PSUs before.  One would assume they’re for some part you mentioned, but I can’t confirm.  One appears to be memory though which I assume would apply to your motherboard. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

44 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

They appear to be QVL lists. no mention is made as to what part. And I’ve never seen a QVL for PSUs before.  One would assume they’re for some part you mentioned, but I can’t confirm.  One appears to be memory though which I assume would apply to your motherboard. 

Would you maybe recommend I either try another motherboard or buy a new one? I don't think I have any spare currently and I don't want to waste money however they only thing I can narrow down the issue to is motherboard or wiring and I've replaced the cable that goes to the plug and I don't think it's the wiring. 

Spare known good parts are handy for trouble shooting.  Buying stuff just for that though seems silly.   I don’t know where your problem is, and I don’t know why the QVL lists got posted.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Spare known good parts are handy for trouble shooting.  Buying stuff just for that though seems silly.   I don’t know where your problem is, and I don’t know why the QVL lists got posted.

Unfortunately I sold most of my spare parts so I had to resort to buying some, I can't visit any family or friends due to covid lockdown so I had to resort to buying some to try test luckily I ordered two 3080s one for myself and one for my friend which I hadn't shipped yet to him and he let me test it on my system. It sucks but it had to be done so I could troubleshoot the issue. I don't know either what the problem is which is why I posted here as a last resort. I usually can fix most issues however this one goes past my expertise. It seems completely random and gives no information on what it could possibly be. I've tried replacing almost all parts however the only ones I haven't are my case, CPU and motherboard.

I tested my RAM with memtest86 in another computer just to make sure that it wasn't my RAM and I get no errors on 4 passes. I'm starting to think it may be motherboard related possibly. 

image.png.09effe0216afed88f821804b6ead714d.png