Talk.gg, A simple web based team chat for gamers

ChrisRK

Talk.gg - A web based voice chat with no downloads or installations required!

Update! Talk.gg now supports Firefox!

Two friends named Jordan Fulghum and Nicholas Lee had a hackaton together and built a website they called Talk.gg in a few hours.

They built the website so they could talk to each other when playing games such as Starbound. (Source)

The website was announced on March 9 this year by Jordan on Twitter and according to their Facebook page got 50.000 chat rooms created in just 15 hours.

Talk.gg is really easy to use. Go to http://talk.gg and create a chat room with a optional name.

r6v8B1t.png

Once you have created the chat room Talk.gg will ask for permission to use your microphone. Once you accept the three dots will turn into a smiley face.

You also get a link you can share with your friends and family to come and join your chat room.

LPpJSGN.png

Note: Talk.gg only works with Google Chrome. Some says it works with Opera as well, but it does not work with Firefox and Internet Explorer.

They are currently working hard on supporting Firefox as well, so stay tuned for that!

Here's the link to my chat room if anyone wants to join mine for some reason. I may not be there as I'm a Firefox user, so feel free to use it at random or create your own.

http://www.talk.gg/236ff050

Unfortunately there is no nicknames or anything to identify the peoples who are in your chat room.

You will see any connected clients as blue circles with a smiley face. The icon will grow as the person talks so you can see who is talking. (Not that it helps when you can't identify anyone.)

HI6Z0hr.png

You can mute yourself or others by clicking on their smiley face. The muted person will appear with a grey neutral smiley face.

inyzu72.png

Jordan says that the website is mostly P2P and uses WebRTC.

Check out the official Talk.gg Twitter and Facebook pages for news, questions and answers.

Maybe this can be the Skype replacement Linus is looking for?

So how is this any better than the many other programs out there?

Join the unofficial ltt teamspeaks

So how is this any better than the many other programs out there?

It lack a lot of features still, but the fact that you don't need to download any software (considering you are already running Chrome) makes it easier and quicker to use. I won't give up Skype and TeamSpeak myself, but maybe this will be good for someone out there who's looking for a quick and easy way to voice chat.

Join the unofficial ltt teamspeaks

I have my own server so I'm good. But maybe someone will find this useful.

So this is a advertisement in the form of news in the news and reviews section?

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

So this is a advertisement in the form of news in the news and reviews section?

No. It's just the way I write. I thought I should make it as obvious as I could and I usually overdo things.

No. It's just the way I write. I thought I should make it as obvious as I could and I usually overdo things.

It's a interesting concept however I feel like it'd have to have alot of work done to it for it to gain a user base. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Imma keep this in case I need to arrange a chat with someone on the fly, sounds useful enough to give it a shot.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

It's a interesting concept however I feel like it'd have to have alot of work done to it for it to gain a user base. 

Yeah. It lacks a lot still and I probably won't be using it as I use TeamSpeak or Skype almost all of the time.

I think this could be pretty useful if your in a rush. Also it can be a pain in the ass some times to try to get your friends to all use the same chat program, so this could help with that.

Yeah. It lacks a lot still and I probably won't be using it as I use TeamSpeak or Skype almost all of the time.

Considering it was created in just 15 hours I wouldn't expect a lot of features but I can see this being quite the competitor to stuff like skype or teamspeak in the future as they add stuff. 

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Ah yes I saw this a while ago on /r/leagueoflegends looks very promising.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

I think this could be pretty useful if your in a rush. Also it can be a pain in the ass some times to try to get your friends to all use the same chat program, so this could help with that.

Indeed! Once they get Firefox support I might try it out from time to time.

meh, Chrome.

Firefox support is coming, and some say that Opera works.

Considering it was created in just 15 hours I wouldn't expect a lot of features but I can see this being quite the competitor to stuff like skype or teamspeak in the future as they add stuff. 

Yeah. The creator is taking feature requests, so I'm sure there will be more advanced features coming soon.

Sounds interesting to me, no need to add a ton of people to a friends list that you will probably only play with once... or deal with that one friend who is constantly signing in and out driving you up the wall...

Simplicity is always nice.

looks promising but i'll never use it unless they add compatibility with other browsers like firefox, i've had enough problems with chrome crashing on me that i have no interest in using it again.

looks promising but i'll never use it unless they add compatibility with other browsers like firefox, i've had enough problems with chrome crashing on me that i have no interest in using it again.

They are working on Firefox support. Once that's up I'll probably try it out more as I'm a Firefox user myself.

interesting concept yes, if it worked with all the major browsers and you had your name next to your face, i could see it becoming VERY popular

Confirmed works with opera, if you set it to manually ask for permission to use MIC etc when 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

This could be interesting, but I think i'll stick with Steam chat for now